Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which of my six uniz is best for Computer Science?

Thanks

Question Which of my six universities is best for Computer Science?

Warwick, Southampton, Bath , The University of Manchester, University of Bristol and Cardiff?

plz
    Last edited by AdilBEK; 19-05-2007 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB Fighter
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTTP
    I'm at Bath just about to finish Mathematical Sciences (read mostly computing with a few maths modules).

It's a good place, lots of focus on placements if that's what you fancy (good way to get into a job when you leave).

If you're looking for a straight "which is best" then head over to the times website for league tables.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Which manchester?

Good machester, is well, rather well thought of, bad manchester, not so much.

Which bristol.... (same again)

Probably would have too go:
    Wawick
    Good Bristol,
    Good Manchester,
    Southhampton,
    Bath,
    Cardiff

But, that is only one thing you should think about (CV predudice).

Getting a good grade (ie a 1st/2.1) is more important, a 3rd from bristol is going too look worse than a 1st from bath.

and the best way too do that, talk too the admissions tutors, find out what the course will entail, find out if it intrests you/will engage you. If it won't its not the course for you.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    depends entirely on the subject matter you want to learn, interested in maths? go to warwick.

and generally, if you use words like "uniz" frequently, don't bother

Thanks
    best post of the day by far hex.
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    and generally, if you use words like "uniz" frequently, don't bother
    Harsh but true.

Thanks
    • htid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • C2D E6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Corsair XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 180gb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GTX
      • PSU:
      • 500W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirage
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Dell
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Harsh but true.
    I was going to say something similar earlier but I'm having a good day so I didn't bother

Thanks
    TheAnimus I'm surprised you put Bath so low down. It is ranked 9th this year as a university (just behind Warwick and Bristol) and it was ranked 11th last year (again behind Warwick and Bristol). As for the computer science tables it is 8th, just behind Bristol and Southampton.

One thing I would take in to consideration is the number of people that the university takes in for the course. I was at Nottingham doing Computer Science for a couple of years and didn't like it at all. There were so many people on the course, I felt a bit like I didn't exist. At Bath the intake is smaller and as a result you get a lot more attention. I know a lot of the lecturers and speak to a couple of them regularly.

Not trying to be too biased but I would probably give them the following order:
    Bristol
    Bath
    Southampton
    Warwick
    Manchester
    Cardiff

That's pretty much based on league tables for unis and subject and also on their reputations.

Thanks
    I think you've just highlighted a very valid point,

your not asking an unimportant question here, its a pretty major one in your life, its been narrowed down for you and your asking "which one is best"........?????

What does it matter what people on this forum think ???? they may have different critera, or have a different expereience than you would at the uni the are recommending. You have to go and find out for yourself. Its not look "opinons on this video card" its a pretty personal question for someone who doesn't know you and you don't know to answer.
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    League tables in the Gardian and hte like aren't very reliable.

I was doing a more preduce league table.

Bath is new, as such it often gets lumbered in with the pollys.

Warwick has a great reputation, as does good manchester, hence putting them at the top.

Good bristol is again renowned for been hard too get into.

The problem with so many league tables, is posistions change too frequently, in the CV looking good world (which as i said is what i put my list on) i'm sorry but most people think of bath as a polly that looks like a carpark.

Good manchester would never be so far down the list for CS. I'm not baised saying that (as i only did half cs, at reading), neither would warwick.

Warwick, Good Bristol, Durham, St. Andrews, ICL are generally thought of more than they should in my mind, they are traditional failed too get into oxbridge unis.

But as i said above, chosing a place for CV preduce isn't going to mean you have fun, and enjoy it.

Thanks
    I'm a bit surprised I have to say. I know it's a new uni but from my experience (obviously not as good as yours ) it has a very good reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by ikonia View Post
    I think you've just highlighted a very valid point,

your not asking an unimportant question here, its a pretty major one in your life, its been narrowed down for you and your asking "which one is best"........?????

What does it matter what people on this forum think ???? they may have different critera, or have a different expereience than you would at the uni the are recommending. You have to go and find out for yourself. Its not look "opinons on this video card" its a pretty personal question for someone who doesn't know you and you don't know to answer.
    I think ikonia has raised a reasonably good point here. As I said I went to Nottingham before and now I'm at Bath. Although I liked a lot of the people I met in Nottingham and I really loved the campus I much prefer Bath. I think Bath uni is a much better fit for my personality and being from London I find Bath, the actual city, a nice change. I would advise that you go and visit those universities if you already haven't.

Thanks
    There's no harm in asking for advice though. Most people are looking for the same type of things when going to uni - good social life, interesting course with good job prospects etc. I've found that a lot of people who go to certain unis tend to have a much worse experience than people who go to other unis. Have a look on the guardian university webpages though, they rank unis for each course on good benchmarks like job prospects, good student/teacher ratio etc. Also stop having a go at him for saying "uniz", he must have quite a bit of intelligence to have an offer from those unis. It's his first post on the forum, you should be more welcomming and helpful.

Thanks
    judging by my current experience of uni, and knowing people across the country in various uni's, and none of them thinking theres much work to do uni if fast turning into a joke, as is most education.

we've moved from the learning a whole book and being tested on anything in it, time of education and testing on to,

read pages 1-4, 13-16, 26-27, first 8 lines on page 45, skip chapters 6-15, page 111, page 119-130 and all of your 8 questions will be some variation of the questions ON those pages so if you read that with no other knowledge of the subject area's you will pass, and that will be from a 800 page book. its a total joke, and the worst part of it is when i do work i get 90-100% on my work and it takes me literally minutes out of the week , but i find it incredibly difficult to motivate myself for work i find incredible boring and easy, which for me makes learning this way a lot harder than learning 100 times as much stuff.

worst part is i didn't even learn to drink well at uni, i learned that by the time i was 15

so far first year i went to lectures for a month, then nothing, no work, did one bit of coursework i coulda done when i was 12, then started reading literally 3 days before my exams started and got 3 a's, 2b's and a c. but that was what a lot of people did. yeah its good for a laugh, and to meet people, but i'm in debt, have learned nowt useful and spend much of the day doing nothing and then going out in the evening. which is actually terrible because i worked before uni, now i'm at the point of lazyness that changing to the routine of working all day would be difficult. yay blair.
    Last edited by drunkenmaster; 20-05-2007 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenmaster View Post
    read pages 1-4, 13-16, 26-27, first 8 lines on page 45, skip chapters 6-15, page 111, page 119-130 and all of your 8 questions will be some variation of the questions ON those pages so if you read that with no other knowledge of the subject area's you will pass, and that will be from a 800 page book. its a total joke, and the worst part of it is when i do work i get 90-100% on my work and it takes me literally minutes out of the week , but i find it incredibly difficult to motivate myself for work i find incredible boring and easy, which for me makes learning this way a lot harder than learning 100 times as much stuff.

lol my 1st year exam I had on wednesday....
    30 questions, multiple choice (5 choices) (1 hour limit)
    15-20 were the same as the practice paper & last years paper
    2 we hadn't strictly covered (brushed over them and were given details if we asked)
    2 we were told to read up about in our own time from the set text (200 pages in was the answer to one of them)
    the rest were variations

pretty much everyone on my course was done in 10-15 mins

I have another on wednesday but HAVE to do well in it, thing is with my course there is a LOT of backround reading/research (fair enough some research is playing computer games, but its from an anylitical POV which can be difficult to get used to)
    Last edited by finlay666; 20-05-2007 at 03:42 AM.
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Go and visit the places too, some will just not be for you. You'll go there and just not enjoy the whole feel of the uni.

I hated portsmouth, so spread all over the place and not what i was after. Best to go and find out what you think yourself rather than just going on which is best.

TiG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG View Post
    Go and visit the places too, some will just not be for you. You'll go there and just not enjoy the whole feel of the uni.

I hated portsmouth, so spread all over the place and not what i was after. Best to go and find out what you think yourself rather than just going on which is best.

TiG
    I can understand that!

When visiting friends at southhampton there seamed too be some pathetic segregation going on between the two unis :S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information