Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are all DJ's big headed ?

Senior Fusion
    Thanks

Are all DJ's big headed ?

I mean, on a whole they arent artists, they play other peoples music and then cause trouble for everyone at every oppertunity.

Void headlined this winter fringe festival in Ludlow last friday (9th Jan) and it went really well..... Until the DJ collected our money and got in his car to leave ! Our guitarist made him get out of his car, then he claimed he wasnt going anywhere (lie, he had the key in the ignition, all his stuff in his car, and turned the engine on) and then told us to 'bill' him for our money (£100). So our singers dad says 'fine if your not trying to screw them, i'll look after the money'. To which he replied 'do you knwo who i am ? Who the f*** are you? Im the f****** dj'.

The dj ? He played other peoples records all night and didnt even crossfade very well, and then he starts on us because we stopped him running off with our money !

No only this, he is now complaining to the record company we share that we ripped his £120 coat and he wants money for it, just because we stopped him stealing ours. If a coat cost £120 youd expect it not to rip at the top of your left arm when some one holds onto your right hand telling you to let them look after the money you were trying to steal...........

But our record company made up for it a little bit by telling us we might be supporting a mightily famous band at a music festival to be held on the site of the west mids safari park if they sell enough tickets.. I think it was about 3,000.

Any way. i digress. Anyone else ever had a bad dj experience? Or a band being arsey to them ?
    http://www.voidonline.tk

when the fog comes up from the sewers and glows in the dark

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    DJ and big headed go hand in hand
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Thanks
    I know next to bugger all about the live music scene, being a dad kinda limits your nightlife , BUT... I do reckon that all these blinkin nonces that 'mix' songs made by other people are overated in the extreme. Sure, a good DJ can make or break a club, but there's plenty of 'em out there.

Sounds to me like this guy is suffering from a minor fame complex... not famous enough to be known on sight to the vast majority of people but famous enough to be knwon in the circles he moves in. Honestly.."Do you know who I am?"! If you gotta ask that question then the answer is pretty obvious that whoever you're asking either a) doesn't know and you ain't as famous as you like to think you are or b) knows exactly who you are but also knows that your human like everyone else or c) knows but really doesn't give a fig cos you're a goit.

I laugh at people who come out with the whole "Do you know who I am?" rubbish... I've only encountered it once and I laughed so much they stomped off in a proper huff and still didn't get what they wanted....

Yeah mate, I know who you are... small time.. that's who... nothing more and very likely very much less... loser!

/rant and cynicism mode : off
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Depends on the DJ. I know a few and they are some of the nicest people you could wish to meet, although a different type of music genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • floppybootstomp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 Sandybridge Quad Core 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 128Gb SSD; 1Tb for games; 500Gb for data
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 1Gb GTX 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • Antech 900 Gamers Case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ben Q EW2730V 27"
      • Internet:
      • Zen as ISP; Linksys Wireless Router; 4 machine network
    Drunken: Poncho:

You've just had a bad experience with a complete and utter arsehole.

Whether he's a DJ or not, he's going to be a pillock in whatever path he chooses to take. Let's hope he never ends up in a management position.

As for that 'do you know who I am' even if you did, so what? Are we meant to be impressed by what he does for a living? Assuming that's what he does for a living, it's probably part time and maybe during the day he's a kitchen porter or something.

Don't let it put you off DJ's as a whole, as with all walks of life it's the individual that counts, and you can't tar a whole group of people with the same brush.

As for DJ-ing as a music form, there are, apart from radio, two types. Those who do weddings and stuff and pubs, and those who work the Clubs.

I think to work the Clubs and mix and scratch well is almost an art form, there are some very talented people out there. If your average person tried to emulate what a lot of them do, they'd fall flat on their face.

Being a wedding, birthday party kind of DJ is entirely different and requires that you have a vast knowledge of music, a desire to please your audience and a feel/ear for the mood on the floor.

That also means playing stuff you possibly don't like and not trying to force the latest club anthems down the throats of a family audience. And don't talk too much once it's going OK, just now and again.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience DP, and good luck with the band

Thanks
    Seriously, do you know who I am?

Thought not!

Can't say I've had much experience with DJ's, but I'm sure some of them get an ego trip from the type of job they have.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Paul Oakenfold, from first hand experience, is a complete idiot. Fatboy Slim, on the other hand, is one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

A lot of DJs are complete idiots but there are some geniunely nice ones out there. I used to go clubbing at this hard house club is north London and every DJ I met there was completely ego-free. The kind of DJ who would finish their set and then go dance with everyone else.
    Last edited by Aaron; 17-01-2004 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Mind the language!

Senior Fusion
    Thanks
    Yeah i have no problem with REAL dj's. By real i mean DJShadow and aphex twin. These people can afford to be big headed if they were that way inclined, but this was the srt of dj who will play some house or trance or jungle or whatever and stuff like that, but not scratch, just fade between tracks. Anytime i heard anything good scratch wise happening id look over and hed bee looking in his 'gig' bag and not even touching his equipment !

Sorry about this, i just needed to rant a bit. lol

Thanks
    At the place I used to work, we would be stuck with one DJ for several weeks (a holiday village) last season we had a complete berk. He was always late, he repeatedly swore during kids hour and in the last 1/2 hour of his 'set' he would play high energy music or football themes meaning that when it came to move people out of the place they were all worked up.

When told off he replied with, "I am the DJ I can can do anything I want"

Git
    Recycling consultant

Thanks
    The whole thing makes me laugh tbh, how people can be so admired for playing a bunch of records and blending them into each other is beyond me.

I guess people are easily pleased these days

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skii
    The whole thing makes me laugh tbh, how people can be so admired for playing a bunch of records and blending them into each other is beyond me.

Doesn't Winamp's crossfader kinda make DJ's obsolete?
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skii

well Djing is quite an artform and to get up infront of a few thousand people is also very daunting believe you me

I agree with you though alot of Dj;s have to mind the gap of there big heads, but then again arnt most popstars and actors the same. ''dont believe your own hype''

Thanks
    It depends on what you classify as DJing, a lot of people produce their own music, and if they can do that then theres a whole lot of difference between them, and people who just play records.

Anyone who can produce good music should be considered an artist as much as anyone whos a songwriter in a band.

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    DJs are synonymous with being big-headed - so what? This is going to exist anywhere, any scene.

The majority Ive met seem fine though, there are alot of really nice and cool DJs that get on the dancefloor after their set, have a blast and talk to folk - it's only when they dont turn up to gigs or dont agree to play unless they're getting the flush pampered 8 star treatment that tugs my goat.

Senior Fusion
    Thanks
    or if they just play other peoples music, move a crossfader and consider themselves an artist....................

herbalist
    Thanks
    some DJ's i've come across are big-headed, but some are sound. i went to a hip-hop club in Brum and ended up backstage n chattin to one of the DJ's and he was really cool and laid-back (probs cos he was battered, hehe). i spose it depends on where they play, if its a big club or venue, then their egos take over, but if its a small place, they are more humble. peace.

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information