Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Italian Fan killed by police by 'Accident'?

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks

Italian Fan killed by police by 'Accident'?

I don't know how many other people have seen this or care, but this story about the Italian football fan being killed by Accident when he was sat in a car at a Motorway service station seems scary as hell to me. (more sketchy details below)

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Officer 'rues' killing Lazio fan

Speaking as a football fan who does attend both England matches and more local heady heights of Reading FC on occasion or a local derby between MK Dons and High Wycombe, I feel a pronounced sense of sadness if something completely unjust was going on here.

Killing a football fan sitting in a car who has nothing to do with any of the violence, someone must be responsible and I hope the matter isn't brushed under the carpet.

Italian football violence at the moment is probably the worst in Europe and something about the poor policing needs to be done asap!.

Especially with a few more English clubs playing in Italian club sides soon.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Italian Fan killed by police by 'Accident'?

I think we need to wait for the investigation to see what comes out of it. It could be something really unsavoury, but it could also be that the officer's account is entirely truthful. But if so, I'd still say he's in considerable trouble, because even firing into the air is a dubious policy in a built up area. After all, what goes up will inevitably come down again .... somewhere.

But if his own account is true, it's sheer incompetence that results in a police firearm being fired "by accident" like that, and the result was a man that certainly appears to be totally innocent being killed. I would think he's looking at criminal charges. It certainly sounds, from his own account, that he ought to be facing charges.

3. Received thanks from:

mycarsavw (13-11-2007)

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

According to his statement he had not aimed at anyone. So as anyone who's even held a gun it would be aimed down and clear of the legs in a safe position, surely that's part of police training? How the hell do you go from that to hitting a guy in the neck? Even sitting in a low car, easily a chest height target for most.

Sounds like he was running, swinging his arms, with his gun cocked, loaded, without the safety on AND his finger wasn't even clear of the trigger. At the very least, an incredibly stupid idea and firing a shot in the air? Starting to sound like John Wayne.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

It sounds like he didn't put his safety back on after discharging his weapon in the air (which I'm surprised about anyway!)

Quite frankly I'd expect him to be bought up on manslaughter charges and reckless endangerment (or the italian equivilent).

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    It sounds like he didn't put his safety back on after discharging his weapon in the air (which I'm surprised about anyway!)

Quite frankly I'd expect him to be bought up on manslaughter charges and reckless endangerment (or the italian equivilent).
    Not all weapons have a manual safety. Glocks don't, for a start, though some later versions have a safety (ILS). This isn't a safety in the convention sense, though. It's a way of locking the weapon, using unique keys. It puts the weapon safe from firing, but would police officers on duty lock a weapon so that if they need it, they have to start fumbling with a key to unlock it? It's more designed to lock it when, for instance, stored.

And Glocks are very popular with police forces.

They have, typically, a triple-feature internal safety designed to stop the weapon firing unless the trigger is pulled. But if this cop is a bit wired, and running holding the weapon .... well, sufficient trigger pressure and ....

I know where you're coming from, Lucio, but without knowing exactly what this cop was carrying, you may well be totally off-beam there, because with Glocks (and some others) there is no such manual safety. That's one reason for waiting for the facts before speculating too much.

Thanks
    • educatedfool's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Infinity CFX3200/AM2
      • CPU:
      • AMD AM2 X2 6000 3.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB Patriot DDR2 800 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500Gb Sata II
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD2900XT 512MB
      • PSU:
      • 900W Tagan
      • Case:
      • Antec 900, better than a hoover
      • Operating System:
      • XP32 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 22" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb BT

It's alright that the numerous police have been killed by rioting due to football in the past though...

I agree that it is a tragedy that this man was shot, the bullet should have hit the people fighting instead, at least that way it would have rid the world of someone useless.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by educatedfool View Post
    It's alright that the numerous police have been killed by rioting due to football in the past though...

I agree that it is a tragedy that this man was shot, the bullet should have hit the people fighting instead, at least that way it would have rid the world of someone useless.
    Who said anything about numerous police being killed by rioting is okay?.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    • educatedfool's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD AM2 X2 6000 3.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500Gb Sata II
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 900W Tagan
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • XP32 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 22" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb BT

Quote Originally Posted by TiG View Post
    Who said anything about numerous police being killed by rioting is okay?.

TiG

I was just commenting on how there is never a mass uproar when a policeman is killed by the hooligans.

Demonizing
    Thanks
    • Optical668's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel Purebreed Masterboard
      • CPU:
      • 80,000 GHZ Flux Capacitor
      • Memory:
      • Six Hundred and Sixty Six Megs of Ramming Speed
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Powerdrive Ten Thousand Terabytes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 88 Thousand Supercard
      • PSU:
      • Nuclear Fussion Core Reactor 1.21 gigawatts
      • Case:
      • Akasa 62 Reactor Housing
      • Monitor(s):
      • 100" Iiyama LCD
      • Internet:
      • OC-768 40,000 Mbit/s

saracen im not quite sure what your saying, but are you saying that glocks dont have a safety catch that can opperated manually?

The catch just above the trigger gaurd = Primary Safety Catch
    And theres also a secondary saftey on the trigger which stops the the primary trigger from being pulled unless the smaller trigger located in the middle of the primary trigger is pulled first

I would doubt it was a glock anyway, would proberly have been a Berreta 9mm.
    Hell and Fire was spawned to be released.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by educatedfool View Post
    I was just commenting on how there is never a mass uproar when a policeman is killed by the hooligans.
    Italian football was suspended in February when a policeman was killed. It made the news world-wide, even in America, who neither recognise football, or the rest of the (oil-free) world, frankly.

Thanks
    • educatedfool's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD AM2 X2 6000 3.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500Gb Sata II
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 900W Tagan
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • XP32 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 22" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb BT

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    Italian football was suspended in February when a policeman was killed. It made the news world-wide, even in America, who neither recognise football, or the rest of the (oil-free) world, frankly.

And that's really the same reaction? My point was saying that the hooligans don't care, they are just looking for an excuse to be violent.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Optical668 View Post
    And theres also a secondary saftey on the trigger which stops the the primary trigger from being pulled unless the smaller trigger located in the middle of the primary trigger is pulled first
    Nope. It's the slide lock - see PDF HERE. From Glock's website:

"ACTION
    Safe and ingeniously simple: Contrary to conventional, the trigger is the only operating element. All three pistol safeties are deactivated when the trigger is pulled -and automatically activated when it is released."

GLOCK "Safe Action Pistols"

There ARE no manual safeties on a standard Glock.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't get confused by the glock 'safety'

the problem is once one's in the chamber the slide lock is off. So if a shot had already been fired in the air (moronic), there is only the trigger guard which is more to stop accidental discharge whilst in holster etc.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

I thought Italian standard issue for state police was a Modified Beretta 92. With manual safety, this is third hand info though and there is no saying the officer was using his standard issue pistol or a completely different weapon.

The Italian State Police version of that gun does a manual safety.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable

The slide lock has nothing to do with any of the three safety mechanisms operant in the Glock. It's only ever used (or rather disengaged) when stripping the weapon. Which was my point. Look, there are three safety mechanisms operant in the Glock;

"TRIGGER SAFETY
    As the first of the three GLOCK “Safe Action” safety features, the trigger safety prevents inadvertent firing by lateral forces on the trigger. Releasing the trigger will automatically reactivate the safety."
    GLOCK

"FIRING PIN SAFETY
    The GLOCK firing pin safety is a solid hardened steel pin which, in the secured state, blocks the firing pin channel, rendering the igniting of a chambered cartridge by the firing pin impossible. The firing pin safety is only pushed upward to release the firing pin for firing when the trigger is pulled and the safety is pushed up through the backward movement of the trigger bar. Releasing the trigger will automatically reactivate the firing pin safety. "

GLOCK

"DROP SAFETY
    In the line of duty it may happen that a loaded pistol is dropped on the floor. Contrary to conventional pistols, the GLOCK drop safety prevents unintentional firing of a shot through hard impact. When the trigger is pulled, the trigger bar is guided in a precision safety ramp. The trigger bar is deflected from this ramp only in the moment the shot is triggered."

GLOCK

The only control on the weapon that has any effect on these safeties is the trigger, which disengages them when deliberately pulled, and re-engages them when released.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

saracen im not quite sure what your saying, but are you saying that glocks dont have a safety catch that can opperated manually?

I would doubt it was a glock anyway, would proberly have been a Berreta 9mm.
    I'm not totally sure what you're referring to. Immediately above the trigger guard in that photo is a little downward-sliding catch in a sort-of finger recess. The bit I'm referring to is to the left in that photo of the trigger pin (where the little hole directly above the trigger is). Is that what you mean?

If so, it's not a primary safety catch. It's the slide lock, and it's used to disassemble the 17, not to make it safe. Well, actually, I suppose it makes it safe in the sense that it's part of the disassembly process, but only after you've unloaded, racked the slide a few times, pulled the trigger and then manually racked the slide a small amount. There's a corresponding lock on the other side, and with both released, you can remove the slide.

And yes, I'm saying that Glocks don't have a manual safety .... though for the sake of accuracy, I should have said most don't. There are exceptions.

.... And theres also a secondary saftey on the trigger which stops the the primary trigger from being pulled unless the smaller trigger located in the middle of the primary trigger is pulled first.
    As I said earlier, there's three safeties in the Glock mechanism, but they are ALL deactivated by pulling the trigger. So if this cop is hyped up, adrenalin pumping and running with something like a Glock, it's possible he'd put more pressure than intended (5.5lb trigger pressure on the 17, IIRC) unintentionally. Which is, IMHO, a damn good argument for not running around with a loaded Glock in your hands and your finger anywhere near the trigger.

But I'm not an expert on Glocks, and it's been years since I handled one, let alone stripped it.

EDIT - Yes, I accept it may not have been a Glock. That was just an example.

EDIT 2 - Sorry Nicho, didn't see your post where you said most of this. But just to reinforce and clarify what both you and I said, the slide lock doesn't lock the slide from being used, it locks it from being removed, so has to be disengaged as part of a rather fiddly striping process, and not to use the weapon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information