• Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

Re: Are we Hypocrite's?

Quote Originally Posted by JPreston View Post
    Talking telepathically to a zombie sky-wizard
    I love zombie movies and I think you've just invented another zombie genre. Now when god is mentioned I'm going to have that picture in my mind. Brains, brains!!

I think that in the situation of fox-holes and hospitals praying is a natural reaction to complete powerlessness. You want the positive outcome but have no means of achieving this so a natural reaction is hoping desperately. It's almost a going through the motions sort of reaction and a plead for help.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

By 'tested my stance', you are essentially asking what life experiences have indicated to me personally that there may be a god, and since presumably we all accept that there is absolutely no evidence of god at all then answer to your question is that nothing at all has ever happened along those lines.
    Surely though, that "proof" in god comes down to semantics. After all, you could easily argue that the laws of science prove God's exsistance because it's statistically impossible for the universe to exist.

When people say there's no proof of God's exisistance, what they really mean is that there's no proof that the events as described in the Bible happened, they focus on a text that due to it's age, may well have been corrupted over the time.

Thanks

Are we hypocrites?

The last 3 posts have been very interesting. I think we all know we are in the unresolved debate that is at least as old as time. Perhaps the discussion is at the point where both 'sides' must agree to disagree and accept each other's position? Those who believe will take the view that the Word of God (The Bible) will not and cannot be corrupted and odviously those who don't believe don't care.

Sorry, had to finally correct the title too (sorry Zak33).

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

in actuality, nothing should exist. not god, not the universe, nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    you could easily argue that the laws of science prove God's exsistance because it's statistically impossible for the universe to exist.
    No, that really doesn't follow at all. It's observably not impossible for the universe to exist, but even if it was (and you were somehow around all the same) then you could argue that unicorns exist for exactly the same reason. I don't have much interest in and so do not know much about such philosophical jiggery pokery but if you are you might be interested to read about the simulation argument (I will stick to the conventional concept of the universe and existence because to my mind the first of the three propositions will sadly be the truth).

Nice avatar BTW....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santa claus View Post
    The atheists will tell you that science saved your dad Lee. The religious will tell you that your faith saved you.
    Not necessarily. If you'll forgive the wildly inappropriate metaphor, atheism is a broad church. There are many types of atheist, with some very different reasoning for their stance, and for that matter, with different stances on the existence (or otherwise) of God.

Some may say science did the trick, some may say that he may have pulled through anyway, but we'll never know because science intervened and that might be what what the difference, and some will tell you that it may have been prayer because, as atheists (of a given type) they don't believe in God as a personal evaluation but nor can they deny the possibility that they're wrong and if they are, prayer may have helped.

Atheism is a "broad church" because it covers a large variation in view and belief, or lack of.

Like you, if I need help, I wouldn't mind trying every possible source - but what do the atheists say?
    ... During 'difficult situations in life', those who believe are supported by their faith; I'm just wondering how those with no faith manage?
    Perhaps they manage because they have to.

I think there are people who perceive God in a different way to you.

Purely out of interest, what life experiences have 'tested' your stance? I understand if you prefer not to say.
    I'll bite on that one. Just sticking to one type of life experience, I lost my sister-in-law to cancer, I lost both my mother and father to cancer (more or less simultaneously, they died less than three weeks apart), and I came uncomfortably close to losing my wife to cancer, but fortunately, medical technology, some excellent surgeons, modern drug treatments and perhaps a healthy dose of good fortune got us past that one .... so far. As a baptism of fire in life experiences, I hope that qualifies as a good start.

Did I pray? In the first example, not that I remember, but it was a long time ago. With mum and dad I was certainly desperate enough, but it didn't help. So what was the point? With the wife, no I didn't, and she survived anyway.

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks

for the record, Jpreston, Teepee et al: There is PLENTY of evidence for God's existence. PLENTY. Problem is, you don't consider it evidence - you can and will trivialise it, dismiss it, reject it, because on occasion there *may* be purely rational explanations for the phenomenon, and also because you have an agenda. Everyone has an agenda. Everyone.

For example, as we've covered in previous threads, people experiencing miraculous healing: you put it all down to snake oil / smoke and mirrors.
    I say: really? Your worldview prevents you from accepting it as anything but smoke and mirrors. If someone's leg grew, right in front of your eyes, you would still say it's rubbish / hallucination / etc.

Oh, I never said evidence is PROOF.

Just to be clear. After all, the Hindu's would claim it's one of their gods, the Buddhists would say it's one of theirs (yes, the Buddhists who worship), the Muslims would claim it's Allah, and who would be able to prove otherwise?

And on a personal level: I was talking to God last night. Had had a row with someone, and the way forward seemed VERY blurred / uncertain. He gave me the words and the actions to resolve it. I paused for a moment, then decided to go with His suggestion. Worked out flawlessly, and better than I'd hoped. Awesome. You're just going to say I was talking to myself - you can't PROVE that or know it for certain. I, on the other hand, know who I was talking to, know that the thoughts did not originate with me, and am pretty happy in the result too. Humbled, actually. For me, the usual strong evidence - for you, the ramblings of the delluded. Oh well, c'est la vie

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

No, that really doesn't follow at all. It's observably not impossible for the universe to exist, but even if it was (and you were somehow around all the same) then you could argue that unicorns exist for exactly the same reason. I don't have much interest in and so do not know much about such philosophical jiggery pokery but if you are you might be interested to read about the simulation argument (I will stick to the conventional concept of the universe and existence because to my mind the first of the three propositions will sadly be the truth).

Nice avatar BTW....
    That simulation arguement is remarkably similar to many other philosophical debates, it's based on a flawed hypothesis because it doesn't have a testable null hypothesis (e.g. you can't reverse the maths and prove the case that we aren't inside a simulation.

A simpler example is that if you tested a sample of people, you can easily say that 10% have red hair, and it's also true that 90% of people don't have red hair. Therefore, if you were testing a hypothesis that some but not all people have red hair, you've got your proof.

Now, the hard part with religion is that you've got to come up with an accurate test as to whether or not God exists, conceputally if we define God as the Creator of the universe as we know it, then there isn't a null hypothesis we can test, because you're left with either God created the universe or God DIDN'T create the universe (and by this I mean that the universe was never created at all). Since the universe plainly exists, we don't have a valid null hypothesis to test and therefore, we cannot resolve the original question.

This is why we either have to accept it on faith that God existed, or we have to accept it on faith that he didn't.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

so.....in short...

I'm allowed some turkey...and a mince pie, but to even it out, I must avoid Songs of Praise and The Snowman.

K......got it

V good thread, and Santa, I must congratulate you on a 100% improvement over your initial HEXUS posts.
    @_

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    I'm allowed some turkey...and a mince pie, but to even it out, I must avoid Songs of Praise and The Snowman.

K......got it
    I think everyone under the age of 65 - religious or not - must avoid Songs of Praise and The Snowman... The Snowman is probably ok if you're < 65 but hard of hearing

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuddam View Post
    And on a personal level: I was talking to God last night.
    Same here, He told me Everton are going to beat Man U at Old Trafford today.

If he keeps to his word, I'll become a Christian.

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

For example, as we've covered in previous threads, people experiencing miraculous healing: you put it all down to snake oil / smoke and mirrors.
    Depends on what you call miraculous. 'er indoors watches all those weird medical programs on the discovery channel, etc and I've personally observed that anytime anyone recovers from anything the relatives in question all proclaim it as a miracle - regardless of whether or not there's a scientific explanation for it. In fact I'm beginning to think that to a certain branch of televised (?) Americans anything you are truly happy for is a miracle... If on the other hand you're talking about faith healers then there is no reason why any true faith healer could not be scientifically verified (i.e. proven to work, without necessarily showing how it works) and yet there cannot be any such case because it would be so well known about even if only as the ultimate trump card in conversations like this.

I say: really? Your worldview prevents you from accepting it as anything but smoke and mirrors.
    Point accepted - my world view does instantly assume that faith healing is not real. Show me proof however and I'd be more inclined to accept it. I would turn the point back on you but we all know what the answer will be - "I have faith, I don't need proof". Which is a non argument to me - I'm not asking if *you* need proof I'm saying there is no proof which is why I reject such schools of thought.

I will try not to mock but want to ask the obvious question. Person A was told, by the voices in his head, to kill person B and is now spending the rest of his life at her majesty's leisure... Person A is sure that the voices are not part of his own self - in his 'own mind' he would have never thought to do such things. What's the difference?
    Last edited by malfunction; 23-12-2007 at 11:39 AM.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lee @ SCAN View Post
    Like I've said in the past, I believe in something but I don't know what. It could be a God, or even an intelligent being from another planet
    or even just mi5 because well you are kinda dodgy.

Its intresting to note that the pro-god lot missed out on possibly the most important fact. This praying of yours might of brought some solicse. Some relief. We'll all have moments when we are alone, and the idea of god is quite useful for this.

In a way i'm envious of anyone who can do that. I wouldn't say its because i'm to smart, just too rational to even be able to believe. Also if i did begin to believe there was an almighty who controlled us, i would be too busy been bitter about why he'd blighted my mother in the first place etc.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    if we define God as the Creator of the universe as we know it, then there isn't a null hypothesis we can test, because you're left with either God created the universe or God DIDN'T create the universe (and by this I mean that the universe was never created at all).
    I don't understand why (or agree that) we are left with only two options, unless you are using the words 'god' and 'creation' in the widest loosest senses conceivable which to my mind is not appropriate, nor compelling, nor indeed normal language. I'm not sure whether you say that from the perspective of a deist bordering on atheist or if you mean it as some sort of 'First Cause' argument - but you'd probably know that the First Cause argument is certainly flawed. If you allow god to be something that just lights the blue touchpaper at the start then never intervenes again then:

1) you still have not explained the existence of this god who therefore contradicts the definition of First Cause, so really have answered nothing.

2) you aren't left with anything to explain the incredible quackery that characterises religion today - messiahs, miracles, revelations etc. (I note you recognise that you can only conclude that god existed)

and

3) in order to get even to this unsatisfactory position, you still have to disregard all the religious creation fables in exactly the same way that an atheist does. So why bother with it?

I don't think that mankind will reach the level of understanding necessary to explain the physics of the start of the universe in any meaningful sense anytime soon but that does not mean that there is some supernatural unknowable element of it. We already know enough biology geology etc to be able to show that countless critical elements of religious dogma are total nonsense.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Thanks

for the record, Jpreston, Teepee et al: There is PLENTY of evidence for God's existence. PLENTY. Problem is, you don't consider it evidence - you can and will trivialise it, dismiss it, reject it, because on occasion there *may* be purely rational explanations for the phenomenon, and also because you have an agenda. Everyone has an agenda. Everyone.
    What's my agenda, or more generally, this fabled atheist agenda then? Let's say that I had some covert agenda and have been lying here to further it. Then I would believe at least on some level that I am bound for an enternity in hell being buggered by demons with tridents.

If I believed that, even a teeny tiny bit, what Earthly agenda would be so compelling for me that I would accept that fate just to further it? Come on fuddam - that really is nonsense.

Ah which reminds me, we used to use 'talking to god on the big white telephone' as a euphemism for alcohol induced sickness. So now I have my riposte to Stewart's earlier point....'There are plenty of atheists in foxholes, but there are no atheists vomiting uncontrollably into toilets'

Thanks
    • godsdog's system
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 204B
      • Internet:
      • UKFSN ..have to check

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice: Pull down your pants and slide on the ice"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information