Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Top Gear Series Tonight! (2/11/08)

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Thumbs up New Top Gear Series Tonight! (2/11/08)

Could put this in the Automotive section, but I believe that Top Gear has a wide enough appeal to put this reminder here for everyone.

New series. Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May buy second-hand lorries and set about discovering how easy it is to become an HGV driver. The Porsche 911 and Lamborghini Gallardo are also tested, and Michael Parkinson is the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car.

2. Received thanks from:

moogle (02-11-2008),RoBe (02-11-2008)

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Re: New Top Gear Series Tonight! (2/11/08)

Can't wait for this, probobly the best show on TV.

Hello :)
    Thanks
    • ionicle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N SLi Premium
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon 64 4200+ 939
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb Samsung DDR400
      • Storage:
      • 1x 80Gb Samsung SATA-2, 1x Hitachi 500GB SATA-2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon HD3650
      • PSU:
      • Akasa 400W Paxpower
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirrage 62
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows Vista
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hyundai 22" 1680x1050
      • Internet:
      • Pipex 8mbps unlimited up/down 19.99 a month

this is gonna be amazing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    Can't wait for this, probobly the best show on TV.
    The evidence in that statement m'lud suggests that your judgement is awry. X Factor is the best programme on TV and far superior to 3 juveniles driving around in cars that 99.9% of the audience probably can't afford nor would want to. I mean, would you be seen dead in that orange Zonda thing?

Unless Top Gear gives me an Audi R8 for free, I will hate their show (especially the loping fuzzy-headed host who pees in hotel kettles just before he leaves).

So, to sum up, that's one R8 for santa this christmas. Please . I'll watch the show to await the announcement and for no other reason..

handscombmp

Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May buy second-hand lorries and set about discovering how easy it is to become an HGV driver. The Porsche 911 and Lamborghini Gallardo are also tested, and Michael Parkinson is the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car
    Should be a laugh. From the adverts i've seen on tv its got a bus on a dirt track going round a corner on two wheels.

Can't wait. It's 8hrs to long.

Shame its not in HD though. Come on BBC. Get your act together
    Last edited by handscombmp; 02-11-2008 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

Quote Originally Posted by santa claus View Post
    X Factor is the best programme on TV and far superior to 3 juveniles driving around in cars that 99.9% of the audience probably can't afford nor would want to.
    Well.. if we are going to split hairs, Strictly was voted the best Talent show on TV this week and neither of them are as good as Top Gear which, imo is the best.. in fact it'd one of the only decent shows to come from this fair old country.

Banned
    Thanks

The evidence in that statement m'lud suggests that your judgement is awry. X Factor is the best programme on TV and far superior to 3 juveniles driving around in cars that 99.9% of the audience probably can't afford nor would want to. I mean, would you be seen dead in that orange Zonda thing?

Unless Top Gear gives me an Audi R8 for free, I will hate their show (especially the loping fuzzy-headed host who pees in hotel kettles just before he leaves).

So, to sum up, that's one R8 for santa this christmas. Please . I'll watch the show to await the announcement and for no other reason..

X Factor the best show on TV... wow. Just wow.

I mean... did you really say that in public?

You are a 14 year old girl, yes?

Thanks
    • AdamAnubis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-EP45-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel E8400 Stock cooler + speeds
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 2x2gb
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Seagate Barracude S-ATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • VX2240 Viewsoic 22"
      • Internet:
      • 2MB Virgin Media

James May alone makes it worth watching.

And when they have races.

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

Hope its better than last series. That took a dive down IMO. Just wasn't up to standard.

handscombmp

Quote Originally Posted by Stringent View Post
    Hope its better than last series. That took a dive down IMO. Just wasn't up to standard.
    Have to agree. It wasn't even that long either

Thanks
    • Andy3536's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-880GMA
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95w @3.8
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1T WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182

Actually the way i look at it is if i can afford a car and am interested in buying one i'll take it for a testdrive and find out how it drives myself.
    What i want from a motoring show is the best from the motoring world and some entertainment. Which is what they do.
    It's on at a different time to xfactor too so there's no need to choose between them. For me though top gear at it's best is my ideal TV show.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post

X Factor the best show on TV... wow. Just wow.

I mean... did you really say that in public?

You are a 14 year old girl, yes?
    Come on Stewart what is the matter with you, have you had a personality bypass or something?

I can't stick my tongue any further in my cheek. And I'm thirteen so ner ner ya grumpy ol' fart

Banned
    Thanks

I thought you were serious... X Factor the best show on TV...

Thanks

I thought you were serious... X Factor the best show on TV...
    I have a whole thread running on the X factor and have not been significantly slated once. I'm getting worried about Hexus. There used to be discussion about atheism, hadron colliders, life, the universe and everything but posts are getting much lazier. I blame the weather.

Banned
    Thanks

I did see it.

Don't get me wrong, each to his own.

If you as a grown man (I assume) want to watch that inane nonsense for school girls to giggle at, then fire away mate.

Watch it 24/7

However, just because its the decent thing to do, if you start saying its the best show on TV, better than Top Gear, and other madness, I will have to say something.

You know how it is mate.

And I'd be happy to write another mahoosive post on religion, to satisfy your need for those sort of discussions, thus starting a 1000 post discussion again, but the last one was not very long ago.

Maybe you could have a go?

Here is my last attempt -

'Right, so lets say I wake up tomorrow morning and I have one of those epiphany things, lets say I wake up and decide that its all true, God made the Earth, Adam and Steve, the cake and the apple, all that. Its all gospel.

So the next logical step would be to sit down with a copy of the Bible, and read it cover to cover, to take in the knowledge, laws, customs, wisdom and all that jazz of the Christian faith.

The Bible is, after all, the infallible word of God, passed down to whoever he passed it down to, so his word could be spread, like utterly butterly, across the giant crumpet that is Gods green Earth.

With me so far?

So, I read it, cover to cover, hanging on every word as the direct word of God. When I get to the last page, the 'also by the same author' stuff, I would have to draw 2 conclusions: (I wouldn't draw on the pages though, I'm not a philistine)

Firstly, there are pretty much no Christians in the world.

Secondly, it is completely impossible to be a Christian in 2008 anywhere in the world, specifically in the Western world.

See, the way I see it is that 2000 odd years ago, you could be a Christian, you could follow the teachings of the Bible, word for word. You could do what you are supposed to do to men who lie with fellow men, and do what you are told to do to people who wear clothes made from 2 different cloths. You could do all the horrible, but it would seem neccesary deeds God has told you must be done. You could smite, whatever that means, none believers and double smite those who worship false idols.

Now I'm far too ignorant of the Bible to go into many specifics, but the Bible can not evolve as society does, so as the teachings of God and the way most people live their lives become more and more distant and alien from one another, it becomes harder and harder to be a member of modern society and remain a good, honest God fearing Christian.

What can God comment on the rise of the Internet, or how to balance the fact that you could probably get away with daming non believers back in the day, but no more? He gave us all free will, we use that free will to evolve more sophisticated social norms, those norms move futher away from his teachings, and, in the fullness of time, overrule them.

As I said, I don't know enough to go into specifics, but there is passage after passage in the bible that make it very clear you should do things you are simply not allowed to do, say things you are not allowed to say, and teach things you are not allowed to teach. A true Christian, today, is an extremeist, a homophobe, someone who has the moral outlook of a man from a completely different age, because you only have one guide, and its 2000 years old, never to be updated or edited.

Our laws now sit above his. And Christian or not, you have no choice but to follow the laws laid down by man. If that man is a Christian, an athiest, or whatever.

Try doing half of what God has told you must be done today, in modern society, and you'd be doing 25 years in prison before you could say hail Mithras.

Gods teachings, or some of them at least, now have to be ignored or conveniently overlooked, because they are completely at odds with man made laws, and modern society. So what you are left with are watered down, sanitized Christians, who are Christian up to the point society allows them to be.

Any time the word of God comes into conflict with the expected standards of modern society, man made laws have to take preference, Gods word goes out of the window. Now, unless God is planning on releasing the Bible part 2, or at least crossing some bits out, and unless someone can point out to me the bit in the bible where God sayeth unto man 'and by the way, if in 2000 years some of this stuff seems a bit crazy, feel free to ignore me', then the Bible is the word of God just as much today as it was when it was created.

So where are the Christians? If noone is allowed to live their lives according to the exact word of God any more, and anyone preaching some of the more controversial parts of the Bible would be safely under lock and key after a while, there are no Christians.

If there were, they would be very small in number, and underground (not literally you understand), not sitting in Church in their millions, or standing in St Peters square listening to the Pope. These people are the fair weather Christians – we follow the word of God... apart from the parts that leave a bad taste in the mouths of today's PC society.

Have you heard of that family in America, the really hardcore Christian ones, from the Westboro Baptist Church, they preach all this anti-gay, anti-everything stuff, and they are completely insane... but are they the real Christians? Aren't they the ones who put Gods message first, and then fit man made laws and customs around that, and **** what everyone else thinks, while the vast majority have to fit what's left of their Christianity lite around man made laws?

See, they are a small, underground group of nutters, preaching irrational hatred of various groups, but as I said, if I sat down and read the Bible, taking it as the word of God, isn't their final interpretation closer than the mainstream one, because they are simply following the teachings word for word, not glossing over the unsavoury bits as the rest of you have to?

The Bible makes it clear that a true Christian wouldn't be a very nice person by the standards we live by today, of course not, this is a way of living that is 2000 years old.

So Christianity, in the only form that counts, the version that's there in black and white in the bible, is all but dead. Take out all the bits you simply aren't allowed to follow any more and its 'try to be a good person'. I could have said that. I could have wrote it on the back of a cigarette packet.

So, is mainstream, modern Christianity, with its gay Bishops and middle class do-gooders picking and choosing which parts of Gods will are to be adheared to and which discarded, a perversion of true Christianity, because its either that or nothing?

Please excuse my ignorance on all things religious. Not intending to have a go, but you are clearly a man of genuine faith, and I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.

And anyone else of course.

Finally, I'm posting this because its a conclusion I have arrived at, and if possible would like this thread to not end up in the thermo-nuclear warfare that religious thread on HEXUS tend to do.

I know we can do it people.'
    As you say though, that's clearly the post of someone who is lazy and doesn't want discussion.

So your turn mate.

In your own time...
    Last edited by Stewart; 02-11-2008 at 02:42 PM.

17. Received thanks from:

AledJ (03-11-2008)

Thanks

Maybe you could have a go?
    No thank you, I'm not that stupid. Diana Vickers will win X Factor btw. Top Gear is marginally better that Match of the Day I suppose

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information