• Windows Server 2008 Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp 2709W + 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • Be*Unlimited 20Mbps

Re: Manchester to get ID cards First

Quote Originally Posted by G4Z View Post
    National insurance number.
    Now you say about that, I have a great idea....
    Just convert NI to an ID card scheme... you have to register your fingerprint to the NI database.
    And you can't work without the NI/ID
    And you can't get paid (wages or benefits) unless your NI/ID number is registered in your bank account.
    Etc, etc...
    Workstation 1: Intel i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz / X58 / 12GB DDR3-1600 / HD4870 512MB / Antec P180
    Workstation 2: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz / X38 / 4GB DDR2-800 / 8400GS 512MB / Open Air
    Workstation 3: Intel Xeon X3350 @ 3.2Ghz / P35 / 4GB DDR2-800 / HD4770 512MB / Shuttle SP35P2
    HTPC: AMD Athlon X4 620 @ 2.6Ghz / 780G / 4GB DDR2-1000 / Antec Mini P180 White
    Mobile Workstation: Intel C2D T8300 @ 2.4Ghz / GM965 / 3GB DDR2-667 / DELL Inspiron 1525 / 6+6+9 Cell Battery

Display (Monitor): DELL Ultrasharp 2709W + DELL Ultrasharp 2001FP
    Display (Projector): Epson TW-3500 1080p
    Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX550 5.1
    Headphones: Etymotic hf2 / Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro

Storage: 8x2TB Hitachi @ DELL PERC 6/i RAID6 / 13TB Non-RAID Across 12 HDDs
    Consoles: PS3 Slim 120GB / Xbox 360 Arcade 20GB / PS2

Mike Fishcake

Quote Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
    Your comments are flawed my friend,

I am

a) Employeed

and

b) not a criminal

Many Thanks
    Don't feed the troll He's just being silly anyway. As usual

My biggest problem with this isn't the concept, it's the way it's going to be run in practise. I don't trust the Government with my data. The data will be accessible by (tens of) thousands of civil servants and government workers, and having it all in one place to be honest petrifies the shat out of me!

The ever-repeated argument of "If you're doing nothing wrong, you don't have anything to worry about" annoys me. Who here has never done anything wrong? Who here has found themselves in situations that could be misconstrued as something else? Everyone has things that they like to keep secret, like to keep private for whatever reason, and these are slowly being eradicated for a flimsy excuse about STOPPING TEH TERRISTS. Face it - if someone's determined enough, they'll find a way to get round it eventually.

There's a ridiculous amount of flaws in the 'for' argument.

I know it's 'voluntary' at the moment, but I dread to think how they're going to 'encourage' people to get cards.

"What's that? Your passport needs renewing? Well, why not get one of these ID cards? What? You don't want one? Oh that's a shame. Well, you don't really need a passport do you? Nah."

Also, whilst I live in Greater Manchester, I don't live under Manchester City Council (I'm a few hundred yards away over the border into Stockport) so I'm not sure if this will personally affect me. For the time being.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arthurleung View Post
    Now you say about that, I have a great idea....
    Just convert NI to an ID card scheme... you have to register your fingerprint to the NI database.
    And you can't work without the NI/ID
    And you can't get paid (wages or benefits) unless your NI/ID number is registered in your bank account.
    Etc, etc...
    I had an ex-girlfriend who applied for her 1st passport at 18 and when she appplied for a copy of her birth certificate it had a different surname to the one she had been using all her life. She was a bit shocked as she had no idea that was her surname - her NI card had the name she thought she had.

Turns out when her mum had divorced and remarried (when she was 2) her step-dad had never applied to adopt. But when he registered her at school he used his surname not thinking anything of it, the NI people seemingly just get a list from the schools of the pupils and work from that.

The passport office would only work from the details on her birth certificate and issued it with her new (old) surname, but she had no NI identity in that name, but was effectively left with two provable identities.

In conclusion 1) probably best not relying on the NI data to be correct, 2) Kind of proves the lack of organisation already there in two VERY significant data capture points in a persons life.
    Last edited by Barakka; 07-05-2009 at 01:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Thanks

know it's 'voluntary' at the moment, but I dread to think how they're going to 'encourage' people to get cards.

"What's that? Your passport needs renewing? Well, why not get one of these ID cards? What? You don't want one? Oh that's a shame. Well, you don't really need a passport do you? Nah."

Havent they started doing this already with the pilots? U have to have a special pass to get near a plane but now im sure ive read in the Metro if you apply for one of these "plane passes" you have apply for an ID card at the same time and if you dont- you dont get your "plane pass"

Permanently confused

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information