View Poll Results: Should Gordon Brown lead Labour into the next general election?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because they stand the BEST chance under him

11 26.19%
  • Yes, because they stand the WORST chance under him

24 57.14%
  • No, because they'll do better if they dump him

10 23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should Brown lead Labour into the next election?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Should Brown lead Labour into the next election?

Quote Originally Posted by santa claus View Post
    Electioneering will change those odds. I just don't think there's opposition with enough gravitas to effect a change. The current Cabinet has some very good people.
    Well, it's just a view on psychology, but I think the mood for a change has taken over from any perceived lack of gravitas.

It's only an opinion, of course, but I think people will put up with just so much, and then the rot sets in permanently. And personally, I think Brown has screwed up in people's eyes far too often to be credible any more. I think people, or at least enough people, are just fed up with him and (though to a lesser extent) wit the rest of Labour.

Brown, repeatedly, has said he (they) need to "listen". But he shows no obvious signs of dong so. And, in my view, I think people (or,as I said, enough people) have just stopped listening to him. I don't think it much matters what he does, and what Labour say. The damage is done.

However, as the old saying goes, a week (let alone 7 months) is a long time in politics. My personal expectation (and its just an expectation) is that the Tories will be the next government unless they do something to screw it up. I don't think Labour can win it back, but the Tories could still blow it. I also don't think Cameron will screw up .... but I'm not quite so sure about Osborne.

I also think there's a fundamental tendency in human nature in play. People get bored with what they know, and rightly or wrongly, then tend to forget the good bits and blame the incumbent for the bad bits. The last Tory regime was an exception to a long-established trend that governments rarely got more than a couple of terms, and it was probably a boost from the Falklands that led to then staying in power as long as they did. New Labour benefited from a backlash against that, and against huge Tory unpopularity but before any Labour enthusiasts crow too much about that unpopularity, they ought to consider that the Tories were popular enough to keep getting elected despite some hugely unpopular policies, and the hard times we went through.

In large part, what cooked the Tories goose was Maggie getting perceived as getting rather above herself, and Major being perceived as a bit ineffectual. In other words, they survived bad times and largely, were finished off by personalities and personal unpopularity. Resonating much with today?

I think people have just had enough, and want a change. And, if I were a betting man (which I'm not), I'd put a good chunk of cash on Cameron moving into Downing Street in May next year.

As for gravitas, Brown keeps going on about his much-vaunted experience versus Tory inexperience, but I'd point out that he was totally inexperienced in government when he got in, yet he has a very high opinion of his performance in the job, despite that inexperience. So by his own claimed example, it can't be that much of a hindrance.

And if we were to take the attitude that we only elect people with experience, he'd never have got the chance, and we'd be perpetually stuck with the incumbents when we made the decision to always go for experience. And, by the way, I'm not at all convinced that people see Brown as having much gravitas either. After all, after all his self-publicity about "abolishing boom and bust", and his "prudence", we've all been treated to an exquisitely vivid demonstration of just how big a crock of wotnot that proved to be, build on a rickety foundation of personal and government debt. Just how much gravitas does running the economy for 10 years, and it turning out to have been run into the ground give you?

Nor does Brown's stupendous inabililty to own up to mistakes do him any favours. abolishing the 10p tax band and pretending in the face of the blindingly obvious that it didn't clobber some of the very lowest paid, and having to be forced kicking and screaming denials, into doing something about it. That was merely one of the more classic reminders that New Labour is NOT the same as old Labour, and that many of the philosophical differences between them and the Tories don't exist.

Brown's apparent personal indecision also doesn't help him. People know that we. the people, have had no say in him being Prime Minister and that outside of his own constituency, none of us have had a chance to vote for him or give him a mandate to govern. We're also aware that he had an opportunity for an election right after he took over, that he planned for it and let his staff go around briefing for it, and then bottled it ... and how he must be regretting that.

The list of things that add up to Brown just not appearing to cut the mustard just go on and on and on. And I think people have made up their mind about him.

Nah, Santa, I'm not convinced the gravitas thing plays in Brown's favour. Nor, for that matter, his partners in crime in the government. I think the gravitas factor for Brown is heavily overstated, and that the "plausible" new boy, full of either charm or smarm depending on your perspective, has more appeal that Brown supposed gravitas, simply because he's change.

The old adage about better the devil you know doesn't, in my view, hold water. The problem is that people have no had a long, hard look at the devil they do know and decided they don't like what they see. labour might have stood a chance if they'd dumped Brown a few months ago, but I think that now, it's too late. Even if someone successfully stuck the political knife into Brown (and I don't see anyone with the appetite for doing it), and even if the party rules and time frame made it practical (and it's barely so) I think the electorate would see it for exactly what it is at this point, which is a cynical bit of political manipulation by a desperate party, and I don't think they'd either forgive Labour for it or let it work. And I think the Labour Cabinet know that. They might get a bit of a boost from it, but I think the die is well and truly cast. I guess we'll find out which of us is right isn a few months.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Electioneering will change those odds. ....
    Oh, no doubt ..... but in which direction?

Thanks

I think you'd best start baking a humble pie Saracen; you're going to need it. When the push comes to the shove, I can't see the electorate falling for the same old Con trick .

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

I've pretty much given up with national politics, I'm voting for my MP based on who I like best and think will do the best job of representing me. Sod the party politics and all that crap.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    I've pretty much given up with national politics, I'm voting for my MP based on who I like best and think will do the best job of representing me. Sod the party politics and all that crap.
    Fair enough, your choice is your choice. At least you will be voting and not throwing your toys out of the pram like some people do.

Banned
    Thanks

Brown is going down. His ship is sinking and he's going to the bottom with it. People are sick of Labour now. I know that in reality they are probably as bad as each other but this country now needs a party, a new leadership, a new ship that is able to move forward with a true leader at its helm!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonclaw View Post
    ...this country now needs a party, a new leadership, a new ship that is able to move forward with a true leader at its helm!
    That's what Josef Goebbels said .

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't see the electorate falling for the same old Con trick .
    People always do, they voted New Labour, and we are in a situation very similar the last time, all we need is some IMF rules to keep us solvent, and history will have repeated.

The current Cabinet has some very good people.
    Who? They aren't really showing any signs of it! People like Harman are an active danger to the country in my eyes.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Who? They aren't really showing any signs of it! People like Harman are an active danger to the country in my eyes.
    Good question indeed. The problem isn't just Gordon Brown, and even the average sun reader thinks that so really it's irrelevant especially given there's nobody with any sort of public face and/or respect to replace him. Vote mandelson?
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    Vote mandelson?
    England failed to appoint Brian Clough as team manager because he didn't conform to the required type. England have subsequently achieved nothing and Cloughie's genius was wasted.

Peter Mandelson is not everyone's darling (no pun in there) but if Gordon Brown goes (and I don't think he will or needs to), there is no better choice than Lord Mandy for the top job. He is canny, skilled, sneaky and brilliant. The kind of person that is needed to achieve what we need to achieve.

His past is past. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. The sooner we realise that the World is no longer a stiff upper lipped place where everyone plays by the rules the better.

Banned
    Thanks

Maybe we should start up a new party called 'New Hexus'. Lol

Thanks

Comment moved to correct thread, don't ask, it was a LONG day yesterday...
    Last edited by SeriousSam; 03-10-2009 at 08:21 AM.
    If Wisdom is the coordination of "knowledge and experience" and its deliberate use to improve well being then how come "Ignorance is bliss"

Thanks
    • shadowmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Kingston SSD V series 64GB + Samsung F3 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 5870 1GB in Crossfire
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1200W Dark Power Pro
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker 832 SE
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x BenQ G2222HDL 21.5inch 1080p
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

England failed to appoint Brian Clough as team manager because he didn't conform to the required type. England have subsequently achieved nothing and Cloughie's genius was wasted.
    I have to agree with that, I wont derail the thread too much but Clough was a genius. To win 2 European Cups with Nottingham Forest, amazing. I have no idea why he was never our national manager.

Thanks

Labour will win with Brown.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I think you'd best start baking a humble pie Saracen; you're going to need it. When the push comes to the shove, I can't see the electorate falling for the same old Con trick .
    Well, they fell for the Labour con trick, so I don't see why not. And that's why I don't think Labour will win - because politicians are all con artists - they con the electorate into thinking they can actually make good on all their promises. The problem for Labour is that as incumbents, the electorate have now seen what they're like in power.

But I'm neither baking nor eating humble pie. I've said repeatedly that that I don't think they will win, but I've also said repeatedly, and in several different ways, that anything is possible, and that 7 months (or whatever) is a long time. For instance, if the Irish do vote Yes in the referendum on theEU constitution, and if the treaty comes into force as a result without us beng given the chance to have our say, will those that are against here treat that as an excuse to rally behind the Tories in a Gen Election .... or will UKIP sap that vote. After all, voting UKIP in large numbers could result in the Tory vote dropping substantially, but if UKIP supporters are angry enough to vote for the only people likely to win power that might do something about it, then it could bolster the Tory vote. And if the Irish vote yes and the Czechs still have it tied up in court (as they do at the moment) then a vote for the Tories is a vote for the only people likely to get us a referendum.

If Labour do win, and I don't expect that though it's by no means a done deal, then it will be against long odds. But it's certainly possible.

If anyone needs to be prepared to brush up on their baking, it's SammEl, who is adamant in his predictions.

And Santa, I'd remind you that the whole country isn't naturally Labour. The Tories kept Labour out of power for a generation, and on a couple of those occasions, against the predictions .... like with Kinnock's triumphalist "well al right" speech.

And personally, I think a lot of the electorate are less polarised than they were a couple of decades back, because a lot of the major philosophical differentiators between the parties have gone) and the core vote (on both sides) is less solid than it was. It HAD to have been like that in '97 for voters to swing Tory to New Labour, and if they can swing one way, they can swing the other.

A lot will depend on how angry people are, and how disillusioned they are. If, for example, unemployment is still going up, and its distinctly possible, even likely, that it will be, then the incumbents are going to get the blame. New Labour have already lost their shine, and we've seen strong indicators in one form of election after another, from by-elections, to the locals, to the Euro's, that there IS a significant swing. And it's even possible that Brown's personal unpopularity will be the deciding factor.

Thanks

Fair enough, except for one thing. I don't think Gordon Brown is unpopular. He may be disliked by a few people who expect the garden to be rosy even when the rest of the World is in turmoil, but I think the majority can see through this impossibility.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information