Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fatties.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Fatties.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8327753.stm

So it seems like some fatties have got their knickers in a twist, probably because their too obese to be physically able to reach down and un-twist them, they are acting with a rather narrow view on life.

They are claiming they are victims of hate crime, and that they need special protection. Hang on a second, I thought harassment and assault where already criminal offences? Why should fatties be treated any better than say gingers?

But what really cracks me up is the replies at the bottom, how fat is a rude term, and it should be overweight. Erm no, i think they are suffering brain fat, governor of California is overweight, when your body is comprised of too much fat, you are fat. There is a world of difference.

However what really grinds my gears is the lack of personal responsibility, it might well be a medical condition and all that, you might well have friends who eat more than you but don't seam to put on weight. I'm about a foot taller than a really good friend of mine, I get to eat more than him, I get to drink more than him, but he can fit comfortably on economy long haul. Its up to the individual to actually take responsibility for the cards you've been given, yes your friends might be able to eat nothing but pringles and mars bars, but fatty, you can't, maybe not even one, live with it lardarse.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

2. Received thanks from:

Oobie- (02-11-2009)

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

Re: Fatties.

Abuse is abuse, it's wrong whatever the circumstances.

On the other hand, people should learn to take some personal responsibility. It's not like being overweight, whether by genetics or just plain laziness, isn't curable. If you have a problem with your own weight, then start doing something about it, if not, have a nice life but don't go moaning about it.
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

I think the issue is down to diet when a child. Only crap food is available in schools and parents/children are not educated on healthy living. It happened to me (although I am not overweight). Parents fed me crap food, school fed me crap food, I went to uni and not knowing better ate crap food. It was when I started sports and weight training, I took an interest and now I eat healthy.

But even if it was taught, they will probably teach things that are wrong (e.g. saturated fat is bad - big myth spread by the food standards agency/bbc) - because the authorities do not have a clue themselves!

Registered+
    Thanks

For the small percentage of "fat" people that are obese due to real medical reasons, my heart goes out to them, to the average fat person, deserves what comes his way.

No excuse for being fat, well none that can't be boiled down to "I'm a lazy fkr"

If your fat and this offends you, good, lose some weight and stop putting unnecessary strain on the NHS (UK) and for that matter the family you'll leave behind when the body you have abused for so many years gives up on you.

Thanks

Ah, read this yesterday. The woman on the train shouldn't have been attacked - that's plain wrong. If she's happy with the way she is, then more power to her (but if she needs two seats, I'd expect her to pay for two seats - at least on the plane).

Yeah, tax payers will end up having to pick up the bill from people who eat too much/don't exercise enough for their metabolism. But that goes for drinking and smoking too. I reckon that it would be hypocritical to allow excessive smoking/drinking yet complain about excessive eating.

But to some extent, I do think that there is an unfair stigma against overweight people. Having to breathe someone's smoke (even in open air), or smell/clean someone's puke (or worst, encountering trouble making drunks) annoys me far more than someone who take extra space. And yet I never see people point and say 'Oh look! A smoker! What a walking cancer, be careful he may spread it to you'. And as for drunks, the binge drinking culture seems almost accepted and people don't seem to blink when they see people not walking straight, puking in the street, or taking a leak in public. Not saying that I wouldn't want to see less people being grossly overweight (and wearing something utterly unflattering for their figures), but I may agree that they are getting a disproportional amount of flak.

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    The woman on the train shouldn't have been attacked - that's plain wrong.
    That was too far up the scale really.

Registered+
    Thanks

Well, they way I look at it is yeah, some people are self-destructive. And not just fat people, but drunks, junkies, thugs and idiots of all flavours.

But most of us aren't. The urge towards self-preservation is a big important one. So why are there so many fat people?

Because our society is based on two contradictory ideas. First that all consumption is good, and consuming as much as possible will make you happy (or wealthy, or powerful). Second, that all people should conform to a perfectible image, not just body image but mental and social. So the 99.999% of us who don't, well we're just worthless.

Depressed? Buy something, make yourself feel better.
    Avast ye landlubbers!

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line

Quote Originally Posted by DDY View Post
    That was too far up the scale really.
    I heard she punched above her weight...

10. Received thanks from:

MadduckUK (30-10-2009)

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb

As previously mentioned How about being Ginger? This is something I was born with and cannot change unless I "admit defeat" and dye my hair. No one is born "obese" or "overweight", It is through poor education, parent's neglect and of course a generally poor diet. For fat people to not accept responsibility on their own is utterly pathetic and I do NOT feel sorry for anyone, unless they are a young child that are overweight because of their parents awful parenting.

This is another example of political correctness gone wrong, fat people do not deserve any extra protection, only in my opinion access to further education to help them with their psychological and physiological condition.... Wheres the help for the day-to-day discrimination that every Ginger person receives based soley on the colour of their hair? No where, it is glossed over.

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Thanks

stop putting unnecessary strain on the NHS (UK)
    I always find this a particularly empty arguement for a number of things. If you where to "ban" any activities which people do out of choice that will be likely end up in a visit to the hospital then in addition to fat people you'd have to stick drinking / DIY and Sunday League football on the list for a start

( at least a smoker has bought the hospital with the tax they pay or should we stick on some form of clumsy idiot tax on every hammer and nail sold at B&Q )

Net being the most slender of gents in the world I suppose I could take offence at it ( and I did get a lot of grief when I was younger over my weight ) but I decided to drink less beer and cut down on experimental cheese and bacon based products and take up a slightly more active hobby than cultivating a really good dent in the sofa. I'm now hardly kate moss , but I'm that fussed about it
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks

I think you will find that there are a lot of people who are overweight that would love to get thin. However, if they try and lose weight through general exercise, swimming, or going to the gym, they get a load of people ridiculing them because of their weight. Hardly an incentive for them to keep doing it, when they are hurled with abuse each time they try. Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I still can't understand what makes people feel that they have to lash out against fat people - is it just to try and make themselves feel better?

Banned
    Thanks
    • matty-hodgson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 4GHz (59'C Under a TRUE Black)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ DDR2 890MHz (5-4-4-15)
      • Storage:
      • Intel 80GB - Games. Intel 80GB - OS. 1TB Samsung - Storage.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Zotac GTX 275: 728 Core, 1614 Shader, 1340 Memory
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM2343BW (2048x1152)
      • Internet:
      • Smallworld 4Mbps

some pretty hateful things being said in here, some of which i agree with though..

the main problem for me when it comes to "fatties" is when they have fat children. if i see a fat woman, i know that's HER fault, but if i see a 6 year old girl who's fat, that's NOT her fault, so some poor little kid is most likely gonna be fat for the rest of her life because her mother can't be effing arsed to even feed her little baby girl properly. child abuse? probably, cos the kid will receive abuse!

Quote Originally Posted by News Article
    One study in America found attitudes towards overweight people are more negative than other types of stigma often seized on by children, such as wearing glasses or having a physical disability.
    so they found that people don't discriminate against those that do not/can not choose something? WOW! well done! of course people are gonna discriminate against obesity more than being in a wheelchair or wearing glasses or something like that. nice one americans

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

Quote Originally Posted by Flash477 View Post
    I think you will find that there are a lot of people who are overweight that would love to get thin. However, if they try and lose weight through general exercise, swimming, or going to the gym, they get a load of people ridiculing them because of their weight. Hardly an incentive for them to keep doing it, when they are hurled with abuse each time they try. Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I still can't understand what makes people feel that they have to lash out against fat people - is it just to try and make themselves feel better?
    I've never seen anyone ridiculed at my local gym or pool, or been ridiculed myself for trying. I can understand that people may be put off by the idea that they'd feel out of place in a room full of fit and athletic people but in reality that's just born out of their own insecurites. In your average gym you tend to get a wide range of people all working to improve themselves, and largely ignoring everyone else.

Anyone arguing that they can't go and exercise because they'll be ridiculed is just plain wrong. It's just a psychological barrier they need to overcome.
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Registered+
    Thanks

"I'm ridiculed when I try to lose weight"

Same old excuses from weak, self indulgent, self pitying human beings.

get a grip, or get some therapy, either way HTFU.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KIAEddZ View Post
    "I'm ridiculed when I try to lose weight"

Same old excuses from weak, self indulgent, self pitying human beings.

get a grip, or get some therapy, either way HTFU.
    Hmm, you really are making helpful comments! In fact I am off to run a marathon now with your wonderful encouragement! I think that perhaps showing a little human kindness may help you out too.

Now I know I am fat and quite frankly I can't be bothered to do anything about it because at the moment I have way too much on with work and an 11 week old baby. If I had time for the gym I would go but at the moment, how can I? I have never found the gym or the swimming pool daunting in any way. Yes it probably does look funny when my fat bit bounce around on the treadmill, but hey I am not there for your good or ill, am I?
    Not around too often!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by menthel View Post
    may help you out too.
    I think you misunderstand.

I don't need any help.

i am fit and healthy, I dont over eat and what i do eat I try and maintain a general decent intake of all the "right" things.

I love a Burger king like the next man, but I mix it with some light exercise and a thought through, and most of all disciplined approach to my eatingin general.

I am not putting undue strain on my heart and other organs, and I am not increasing the average risk of dying early by self induced prolonged abuse of my body.

Go visit a local hospital, find yaself some fatties suffering from herat disease, or find some familys left devestated by premature heart attacks, sons/daughters left fatherless, wives left husbandless, and then tell me you cant be bothered to lose some weight...

Apathetic attitudes like yours (the classic invulnerability feeling of it won't happen to me, and if it does, c'est la vie), are the reason its an issue.

Thread Information