Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with Apple products?

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Re: What's wrong with Apple products?

Extortionate prices.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Child labour

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks

i still haven't forgiven apple for that one time i foolishly downloaded Quicktime about 10 years ago & it hijacked so many other settings on my PC that i had to format it to be sure i'd got rid of it.

nothing i hate more than buggy, pervasive apps that do this sort of thing

i'll agree that their styling and their marketing are very effective, but once again its being forced upon you from all angles. i don't particularly want a car or house that seamlessly interfaces with my ipod thank you very much, i'd like the choice over the format of mp3 player i select if that's ok with everyone
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Thanks

Expensive? Yes. But Apple's products (Iphone, Ipod) all turn out to be the highest level benchmark for every segment they compete on so I suppose the price is justified.
    Its not the company, its the overzealous users that tend to behave like a cult. Boils me up whenever I hear someone say "It just works" "No viruses" etc

Thanks
    • Mblaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS PK5 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25 SSD + WD 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2207 (22" wide)
      • Internet:
      • Rubbish ADSL

The reason I don't buy anything by Apple is because of their locked down platforms, and their assumption that all their users are stupid.
    I don't mean to sound cold, or cruel, or vicious, but I am so that's the way it comes out.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by Mblaster View Post
    The reason I don't buy anything by Apple is because of their locked down platforms, and their assumption that all their users are stupid.
    Them buying Apple suggest they are.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    Them buying Apple suggest they are.
    Not at all - it means that they are prepared tp pay a premium for a product )or series of products that they don't have to faffa bout with - they just work, out of the box - because they are locked down and Apple exercises rigid control over the development.

You pay your money and take your choice.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mblaster View Post
    Sadly Windows is slowly adding features which don't really enhance anything but do assume the user is stupid...what the hell is the 'Network and Sharing Center'?

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    - they just work, out of the box -
    roflcopter !
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

10. Received thanks from:

McClane (09-03-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    [...]To me when i can get any mp3 player from the sandisk sansa range that offers much better audio quality (on par with cowons) and does the job better with extra features like fm radio/ expansion slot with direct integration to the library and half the price of the competing ipod player (e.g. sansa fuze vs ipod nano) it makes you wonder why looking at the tech and the price makes you more of an 'outcast' in the public because your 'different' and not following the 'best'.

Maybe i went a bit far and rambled but basically, smugness is the key.... i understand that their products arent for me and that the style can get a premium but why should it enter my life or be forced upon me?.

PS: The ipod range are great but only if you want simplicity and dont like being different but if you get one, good for you .
    Well, Apple doesn't care because for every person who fail to see that Apple users do not all fall into one arch type, there are probably three who fail to see other products other than Apple's, effectively falling into the very arch type, it doesn't make sense for me to me bothered either.

So I am going to link my reply on this thread: http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-channe...ml#post1871067

And re-iterate that Apple's popularity plays a large part in why many people dislike it. If it wasn't popular, it wouldn't be everywhere, there would be fewer people viewing it as the best thing since sliced bread, and Hicks12 probably wouldn't feel like it's 'forced upon him' (???). But I do find irony in the parallel between those who love everything Apple do, and those who hate everything Apple do. I don't see why 'being the same' or 'being different', should be part of the decision process in buying a product either, yet I am sure there are some people who buy/don't buy Apple product on that basis... alone. 'I am cool because I have an iPod' vs 'I am cool because I don't have an iPod', I've seen both, it's puzzling, but people should be allowed to buy whatever they want that make them happy for whatever reason.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Personally, I've bought into both iTunes and an iPod because they work well together and offered at the time, a nearly unique service. Prior to iTunes getting music online legally was difficult and not very well publicised. Sure, there's DRM issues, but it was pretty seemless for me to move my music colllection between PC's when I upgraded.

I haven't bought into any of Apple's other products as I don't really have a need atm.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb

My biggest complaint about Apple is not necessarily the hardware, they make fairly good stuff I guess. It's actually their attitude towards those of us at this end of the geeky technological hardware scale. We are left in the cold because they lock down their platforms so tightly that It would be very difficult for me to make my own iPhone app without first complying to Apple's wishes and then I'd have to wait the lengthy examination period to make sure that Apple OK'd it. Personally I prefer a more open platform where I can customise what I like and download what I like, which is why on a mobile platform I do definitely prefer Android to the iPhone. And as for the bloated software like iTunes and Quicktime that will completely take over your computer, running multiple unnecessary background applications and other bloat-ware that are just pointless!

All this stuff recently about law suits in regards to software patents just fuels my hatred for them rather more so. I think it's absolutely disgusting that a company should be allowed to patent such trivial things (in the US) that it completely stifles creativity amongst competitors and means we end up with a flat market where Apple are restricting the advance in innovation.

The iPad is another example of Apple's frustrating business plans as they have made, in my eyes a fairly useless device as it is essentially a blown up iPod Touch and has really not revolutionised anything, it just is another angle for them to get their faithful customer base to fling money at. No Flash compatibility, no camera, a screen really not suitable as an ebook reader? It's flawed. And I suspect they will continue to trumpet the "1st generation" excuse when in 12-18 months time they launch the iPad X/S/XS that will of course come with camera and GPS as standard, and a far improved screen I suspect....

And without going off on a 20 page rant, my final point is a simple one - Elitism. Yes, Us in the geekdom of Hexus and other hardware forums could easily be accused of the same, but we usually have well researched knowledge to back up our argument. Have you ever come across a Mac / iPhone owner who does not simply refuse to believe they own the greatest piece of gadgetry currently available. The iPhone for me is the epitome of this. It's owners deem it to be the only smartphone to own, yet I'd argue that it isn't actually a true smartphone. The idea of a limited, close platform, full manufacturer control and limitations such as lack of multi-tasking in my mind make the iPhone a thoroughly dumbed down smartphone, or simply a smartphone for dumb people

I think you get the point. It's Apples way of going about things, and insistence on full control that angers me most!

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Banned
    Thanks

I use a mac to do work, I use a PC to play games, I use linux for the servers for my work.

Right tool for the job. Specification is not everything, completing the task you bought the computer for, is allways king.

So a question to those out there, what is more overpriced....

1) Apple hardware
    2) That stupid overclocker style ram, eg hyper dominator mega heatshink master 1.34 stuff.

My answer, neither. Both do a job at a price that people are happy to pay.

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

Personally, I think the PC vs Mac fanboy-ism is hilarious on both sides.

Never bought an apple product myself, but simply because they've not sold a product I wanted/needed at a price I was willing to pay. I need windows for games, so that ruled out their computers. Don't like DRM in the slightest and that was enough to put me off the iTunes+iPod combo and I don't like touch-screen phones, I like buttons, call me old fashioned if you like.

Their products do tend be very pretty though, especially in black. Shame I don't have the money to be that vain

The only real reason people hate Apple is shockingly; the same reason they hate Microsoft. Because they're big and someone else likes them.
    Last edited by chuckskull; 07-03-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post

1) Apple hardware
    2) That stupid overclocker style ram, eg hyper dominator mega heatshink master 1.34 stuff.

My answer, neither. Both do a job at a price that people are happy to pay.
    Thats a fine example, Its just Apple want to charge the hyper-extreme prices for generic stuff.

Thanks
    • Haiku32's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.0gHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 8800GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 20" + LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 16Mb

The only thing Apple I own is my 80GB iPod. It cost quite a bit, but with iTunes it just works so seamlessly that I'd feel it would be a step backwards to get anything else. It's got a huge capacity, very easy to use, and looks good. My only complaint is that it doesn't play FLACs, but I'm not an audiophile so it doesn't bother me that much.

I think people dislike Apple products because of the annoying fanbase.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information