Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with Apple products?

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

What's wrong with Apple products?

I'll admit I'm a bit of an Apple fan before anyone asks. I like the way their products just work and work well based on my own experience. However, I'm open minded about life, universe and everything so I can see that often Apple aren't the be all and end all of everything. However, one thing I really don't get is why intelligent and rational individuals on Hexus seem to see red whenever Apple products are mentioned. It's got to the extent where I get the impression that the technically minded are so far out of sync with the real world that they will never understand Apple products. People buy Apple stuff because the said stuff looks good, works well and doesn't require a doctorate in quantum computerology to use. And us geeks slam Apple for producing such products... Why? The perfect example was in a previous thread where the iPhone got trashed because it had a lower resolution screen than the newer smartphones. The point that was entirely missed was that it doesn't matter cause the iPhone doesn't need a higher resolution screen to be intuitive and work...

But I'm rambling a tad. The question still stands though - why are Apple products like a red rag to some people?
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

I'm ITX
    Thanks

Re: What's wrong with Apple products?

I personally don't like Apple as they're always overpriced, looks can only justify so much extra, anything after that is greed. I don't like the way they can copy people's ideas, but if somebody copies theirs then they go mad.

3. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (07-03-2010)

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecube View Post
    The perfect example was in a previous thread where the iPhone got trashed because it had a lower resolution screen than the newer smartphones. The point that was entirely missed was that it doesn't matter cause the iPhone doesn't need a higher resolution screen to be intuitive and work...
    I don't think I posted in that thread, but I agree regarding the resolution.

Hold an iphone and a HTC HD (same size screen) side by side and look at the same webpage/google maps/same anything. Then you will see what you are missing... the difference is huge. You clearly have not compared low vs high res so you don't know what you are missing!

If you are happy with a fashion device that makes phone calls and has some crappy games on that you want to waste your life playing then I agree, it works, get an iphone

The point is that most people who rant and rave about how good an iphone is vs any wm or android usually haven't used an wm or android phone... It's not just hexus that recognises this, pretty much the whole informed online community, only the uninformed/sheep buy iphones

Thanks
    • Craig321's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600k
      • Memory:
      • 4x 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Vertex 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX480 1536MB
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecube View Post
    I'll admit I'm a bit of an Apple fan before anyone asks. I like the way their products just work and work well based on my own experience. However, I'm open minded about life, universe and everything so I can see that often Apple aren't the be all and end all of everything. However, one thing I really don't get is why intelligent and rational individuals on Hexus seem to see red whenever Apple products are mentioned. It's got to the extent where I get the impression that the technically minded are so far out of sync with the real world that they will never understand Apple products. People buy Apple stuff because the said stuff looks good, works well and doesn't require a doctorate in quantum computerology to use. And us geeks slam Apple for producing such products... Why? The perfect example was in a previous thread where the iPhone got trashed because it had a lower resolution screen than the newer smartphones. The point that was entirely missed was that it doesn't matter cause the iPhone doesn't need a higher resolution screen to be intuitive and work...

But I'm rambling a tad. The question still stands though - why are Apple products like a red rag to some people?
    Because we like geeky stuff and geeky stats!

The average person on the street doesn't really care about the extra 100MHz another phone may have, or the extra few MBs of RAM, the open source availability, or the resolution of the screen, they just care about the phone working which is exactly what the iPhone is designed to do.

The iPhone doesn't have the best technology inside, and there's hardware available that's faster, better and more cutting egde compared to the iPhone, this is what us tech geeks like!

I acknowledge that iPhones and Apple products are good, however I hate the marketing, lack of technology (it could be SO much better), overpriced, etc. Most of us that are into technology know that the iPhone isn't the be all and end all of phones and much better hardware can be had for the same/cheaper price and it annoys us (me anyway) that people can be sold such overpriced hardware and software.

It's also to do with the fact that Apple products are aimed at the general public, these people who use the internet for Facebook/Twitter and don't really understand 'the internet'!

Thanks

My guess is that it's in part due to it's popularity. Technically minded people probably make the bulk of 'power users' - users who benefits from features, and enjoy playing with them. Perhaps there is a mentality of the 'more features the better' and a 'good' product needs a long checklist.

So [some of] the more technically minded people do not comprehend how something without the largest feature lists can become so popular. My guess is that to vent, [some] will bash the products for what they don't do [ignoring the fact that not everyone needs the thing they don't do] or label all Apple users sheep on the assumption that every single one of them only buy it for the brand, or superficial features such as the 'look', and criticising them for 'accepting' the lack of features because they do not believe that 1. it rational to pick a product with fewer features and/or 2. that some people can genuinely not care, nor need the missing features. I think [some] simply fall into a 'sheepish mentality' of hating everything Apple makes, as is a kind of parallel to the ones who love everything Apple makes.

Having said all that, there are multitude other factors that affect the perception of the Apple brand. I am sure there are people who have received received bad service from Apple for instance. There may also be people who do not like their adverts (*raise hand*). And there -are- people who have genuinely reason for preferring other products over Apple one because it is more suitable for their needs. The iPhone may not -need- a higher resolution screen, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be better product with one. That's really down to the individual to decide what's important to them, perhaps depending on what they want to do/expect of their smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by SiM View Post
    If you are happy with a fashion device that makes phone calls and has some crappy games on that you want to waste your life playing then I agree, it works, get an iphone
    I do not use my iPhone for game. If you can find a WM/Android phone for £169 without contract that does the basics expected of every phone and has an application better than 'Japanese' by Code from Tokyo, then I am all ears

I am sure you -can- make a better application on other platform, but what's in front of me > what could be made. And yes, I've looked quite hard before settling on the aforementioned application.

[I'd like to think that picking up a language is not wasting my life, but I guess that's subjective]
    Last edited by TooNice; 07-03-2010 at 01:15 AM.

Thanks

Well, take the iPhone as an example. A 3Gs would cost me at least £30 a month, on a 24 month contract- I think? So £720 all in. I've just bought a T-Mobile Pulse for £140 on PAYG. For £10 a month I get unlimted texts and internet on a phone that's pretty much equal in spec (if I buy a £20 16GB SDHC card to shove in it), and I'm not tied into a 24 month contract. So I'm quids in within one year, albeit that I don't call a lot.

In fairness, my mum was asking about buying an MP3 player to take on her travels. I care about the ability to play FLACs, and I won't install iTunes on my PC. She cares about neither of these things, and so I advised her that iPods are piss easy to use, and that she could do a lot worse.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

For me, DRM, locked down platform, ridiculous mark-ups, the fact that Apple either deems me too mentally incompetent to change a battery or thinks of me as an after-sales cash bag in need of a beating, speaking of which, they explode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    If you can find a WM/Android phone for £169 without contract that does the basics expected of every phone and has an application better than 'Japanese' by Code from Tokyo, then I am all ears
    T-Mobile Pulse (Android) on PAYG - £150
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Yet the device is still only half the story. I need a solid alternative to the aforementioned application and the MSDict Oxford Beginner's Japanese Dictionary falls shorts in features I expect/require. Also keep in mind this is the second year on this phone already.

Now, the aforementioned application is perfect for my use, so if the company ever port it on Android, I guess we'll have a tie on that end, and should may iPhone die, I will have a reason to look there (especially as I am not counting on getting another handset as cheap).

There is one area where the the Android could break the tie for my needs. Better handwriting recognition for Japanese characters. The one on the iPhone is unforgiving compared to the one built into Windows which is amazingly good. So if Android supports the application and comes with a superior a handwriting recognition software.. well, I won't say I'll swap my handset right away, but it would be my next upgrade.
    Last edited by TooNice; 07-03-2010 at 04:05 AM.

Thanks

I have always wanted to get an apple imac but there just too over priced!! Same with the iphone why would I want to pay £189 just to get the damn thing on the lowest contract, when I can get something similar only costing me £25 a month. So you see for me it is the issue of price, and as long as they remain high, there is no way I will own one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    Well, take the iPhone as an example. A 3Gs would cost me at least £30 a month, on a 24 month contract- I think? So £720 all in. I've just bought a T-Mobile Pulse for £140 on PAYG. For £10 a month I get unlimted texts and internet on a phone that's pretty much equal in spec (if I buy a £20 16GB SDHC card to shove in it), and I'm not tied into a 24 month contract. So I'm quids in within one year, albeit that I don't call a lot.

In fairness, my mum was asking about buying an MP3 player to take on her travels. I care about the ability to play FLACs, and I won't install iTunes on my PC. She cares about neither of these things, and so I advised her that iPods are piss easy to use, and that she could do a lot worse.
    You forgot as well as paying £30 a month you also have to pay another £189 to get the phone!!

Thanks

I think the reason most tech aware people dislike Apple is simply because of the Apples arrogant attitude towards pretty much everything...this then resinates through in the pricing, support and even the tech specs of the products.

Take the Macbook Pro, today a 17" model will set you back £1,799...and essentially it is last generation tech (Core2duo not i5/i7 - Nvidia 9xxx not GT - 320GB 7200 not SSD) yet surely Apple get the same developer samples as every other Laptop producer who has managed to use it.

The iPhone is simply overpriced, there is no way better way to say it sadly and combined with that it has developed a very annoying set of followers who don't help by preaching on about how good it is constantly and not listening to any other opinion.

I own a Core2duo Macbook for the record, it looks good and works pretty fast but I still use my Dell XPS M1530 with Windows 7 more and it had a lower price tag for a faster machine.
    Last edited by young_one; 07-03-2010 at 11:46 AM.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Nothing - they do what they say they will do - and do it competently. They integrate with each other seamlessly.

However that comes at a price. Whether you think that the convenience, appearence and concept is worth thye premium you pay is a personal decision - but as a product or commodity - there is nothing wrong with them. If there was, the products wouldn't sell and they would be out of business.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by young_one View Post
    I think the reason most tech aware people dislike Apple is simply because of the Apples arrogant attitude towards pretty much everything...
    This. I never had a problem with Apple previously (other than the price and snob factor of some of their users), but the whole marketing campaign where everything else must be inferior because it's not an Apple does my head in - primarily the infamous anti-Windows 7 strategy rather than actually promoting their own products. ARRRGHHHHH!

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Quote Originally Posted by PeterStoba View Post
    I personally don't like Apple as they're always overpriced, looks can only justify so much extra, anything after that is greed. I don't like the way they can copy people's ideas, but if somebody copies theirs then they go mad.
    Agreed with you there .

My opinion is that Apple used to be OK they had designed stuff that is 'stylish' for the public but i dont see how having a plain white laptop with big key spacing is stylish but thats just me, i prefer carbon fibre or sleek black its all opinion so yeh i dont mind Apple for that... however the fact they charge over the odds for something that is worse or similar to something albeit the design (sleek white as compared to artistic designers) it annoys me, too much of a premium but i jkust avoid buying them so this is a point that doesnt affexct me too much.

The Iphone, great and crap device just like every other device IMO. The Iphone isnt 'great' out of the box, you need to download and pay for Apps which too me doesnt mean its flawless its actually a way of charging customers so much more to do simple things!. My HD2 can do everything the iphone can and more and cost me less, so when my network provider stops selling HD2 for the public as they finally got iphones and were trying to force me to pay £40 p/m for it i was annoyed to hell... i then got a contract for the HD2 £25 p/m unlimited data(2gb limit!)/texts and 500minutes alone with unlimited virgin to virgin calls and all for a 18month contract compared to a 24month for the iphone.

I love customisability so the iphone aint for me so i again just ignore it but i know loads of people with ipod touches/phones and they are SO FAR UP THEIR ASSES BECAUSE OF IT, thats what does my nut in as they assume their device is better than mine or my mates zune HD which is far from it.... its shocking compared to other devices in technology so its annoying.

Apple marketing, this is what makes me actually hate apple!. Im watching tv, the adverts come on and all i ever see is the iphone or ipod range come on.... multiple times in the same 5minute slot and i hate how they shorten the sequence and make the iphone sound likeits the best device on the planet which to me is a complete false advert. You then get the Mac vs pc campaigns and its full of lies again so yeh im fed up with watching adverts when i could be told some useful or correct information instead such as 5L de-ionised water is only £3.65 at halfords!

And now the ipod range, everyone i know seems to assume apple make the best stuff and so having a ipod =the best. Apple just makes smuggness and all that which is why i call them sheeps because they follow everything apple do as like a religion!. To me when i can get any mp3 player from the sandisk sansa range that offers much better audio quality (on par with cowons) and does the job better with extra features like fm radio/ expansion slot with direct integration to the library and half the price of the competing ipod player (e.g. sansa fuze vs ipod nano) it makes you wonder why looking at the tech and the price makes you more of an 'outcast' in the public because your 'different' and not following the 'best'.

Maybe i went a bit far and rambled but basically, smugness is the key.... i understand that their products arent for me and that the style can get a premium but why should it enter my life or be forced upon me?.

PS: The ipod range are great but only if you want simplicity and dont like being different but if you get one, good for you .
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks

Interesting discussion.

I've never owned any Apple kit in my life - never had any interest in it - but I'm going to buy an iPad.

Wait...wait...stop shouting! Its not for me, its for my teenage daughter, as a reward for passing a very very tough exam. I asked her what she wanted and it was unequivocally an iPad. She could have had almost any laptop or other 'personal computing/communication device' but an iPad is what she wants. Apple marketing has scored another success.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information