Thread: Can I cancel my Vodafone contract?

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Can I cancel my Vodafone contract?

Hey guys, Well some of you may or not know that Vodafone are now introducing a £5 fee for every extra 500MB a month you use whether your 1MB over your 500MB limit or 100MB.

However when I signed up to Vodafone in January I was told that it was a soft cap which I need not worry about unless I was using 1GB plus every month. However even then no price plan existed to charge for excessive usage. Which means my contract agreement contained no such charges.

Up till now I have always been under 500mb but now that I am finished uni and am travelling more I am using it more. This month I have already used 550mb or so.

However doesnt this charge contitute a change in my contract with Vodafone as the £5 charge was never listed before?

Introducing the new £5 per 500MB charge will increase my bill by more than 10% which as the terms and conditions says under §7.b of my Terms and Conditions it states that they will give me 30 days notice when withdrawing or changing services. This has not been the case and Vodafone is therefore in breach contract.

1) The removal of agreed services, the significant disadvantage this will have on me and the breach of contract Vodafone made by Vodafone.

Information posted on the Vodafone eForums on 12 May 2010 at 14:38 and what Vodafone themselves have told me in these emails, states that Vodafone intends to introduce Out Of Bundle charging for Pay Monthly customers from 1 June 2010. The net result is that my agreement with Vodafone for unlimited data access will no longer be honored and instead, a 500mb limit will be put in place.

Under §7.b of my Terms and Conditions it states that they will give me 30 days notice when withdrawing or changing services. This has not been the case and Vodafone is therefore in breach contract are they not?

2) The introduction of charges resulting in more than a 10% increase in my bills and the significant disadvantage these charges impose on me.

Under §7.a their introduction of a planned £5 per 500mb charge on the 1st of June would have resulted in more than a 10% increase in my previous months (May’s) bill because I know I have used over 500mb this month. It also puts me at a significant disadvantage by massively limiting the use of my mobile phone. Can I not exercise my right to cancel the agreement under §11.b.

The introduction of charges and removal of service also offend §(i)-(l) inclusive of Schedule 2 and §5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. In particular, Schedule 2 (1) “(l) …allowing a seller of goods or supplier of services to increase their price without in both cases giving the consumer the corresponding right to cancel the contract if the final price is too high in relation to the price agreed when the contract was concluded”.

Ofcom’s Guidance says that this is objectionable “under continuing contracts where consumers are 'captive' – that is, they have no penalty-free right to cancel” but you have not seen fit to comply with Ofcom’s advice that to be fair; Any kind of variation clause may in principle be fair if consumers are free to escape its effects by ending the contract. To be genuinely free to cancel, they must not be left worse off for having entered the contract, whether by experiencing financial loss (for example, forfeiture of a prepayment) or serious inconvenience, or any other adverse consequences.”

These are things I have read in various forums.

I have emailed Vodafone numerous times but every single email has been contradictory to the one that came before it so I am getting nowhere. I told them in the last email that they were constantly contradicting what each of them were saying and that I wanted to know who I could contact higher up for reliable and consistent information but they have not replied to that.

Im just looking to know what you guys think about it. I don't want to be stuck with an internet hungry HTC HD2 if its going to cost me even more than the £35 a month I am already paying.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this long post guys. I just want to know what I should do. If i have to write a letter any help in wording it would be great.

Many Thanks

Mark

P.S Sorry for any typos.....
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity

Re: Can I cancel my Vodafone contract?

You will have to test the water.

I know nothing about the law but I'm sure they have some clause in their terms and conditions which enables them to do this, however if it means you begin to incur charges you didn’t initially sign up for, it would be up to the courts to decide if its fair or not.

Are these changes in the contract fair? I’m pretty sure you would get a unanimous no vote from everyone. Lets make up an extreme example…you take out a new contract for £30 a month and they have the typical “these terms and conditions are subject to change” or some nonsense along those lines. Then all of a sudden they begin to charge you £100 a month, is that fair? You signed the contract agreeing to their terms and conditions, however if you took it to court the judge may have a different view and allow you to cancel your contract, as its clearly obvious that its unfair.

Again, I have no knowledge about the law regarding this, just my thoughts.

Actuary & Gamer
    Thanks
    • Champman99's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aus P8P67 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel SB Core i5 2500K @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Samsung F1 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD/ATI Radeon 7970 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster RealPower 1000W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T Graphite (White Edition)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Dell U2412M (Eyefinity)
      • Internet:
      • Sky Broadband Unlimited (No FUP!)

My opinion is that they said all the stuff about "only if the changes would have resulted in a change to your bill" etc I think was simply to discourage people from trying.

As far as I'm concerned (I'm in the same boat), my past usage has nothing to do with anything. I may have signed up to a 2 year contract, knowing my usage would be high in some specific months, for the world cup for instance.

I really dont know the law, but I dont think its on for one side to just unilaterally change the contract. After all, I couldnt just ring vodafone and say 'I dont agree with my package anymore, I want to pay less money'. I seriously think someone needs to challenge this to set a precedent for the rest of us to do the same.

My guess is that they will actually let people release from the contract if you kick up enough of a storm, but that their idea is just to stop people from trying by releasing these kind of messages. My contract isnt that far from expiry, so its not worth the effort for me, but I certainly wont be renewing, and I'll be letting them know exactly why when I get put through to the "Retention" staff.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

well to be honest mate i dont think they are fair. ive got a heavily intensive data using phone which i was assurred i wouldnt get charged for if i went over the soft limit of the "unlimited internet" deal i got with it.

it says in section 11.2.c that if they introduce price changes which increase my bill by more than 10% that i can cancel the agreement as they have broke it.

I'm on the phone to them now and have already been hung up on twice. Basically their terms say the increase of 10% is based upon the usage of the last 1 month.

The guy has just told me that it is the last three months and ive had to tell him that the terms say 1 month. so he is "away to check this out".
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

http://www.bitterwallet.com/vodafone...t-stinks/29661

That is the best place, there is a LOT of info there

http://www.bitterwallet.com/vodafone...atistics/29526
    http://www.bitterwallet.com/vodafone...uestions/29508

Beat in mind it most be done in writing apparently, don't give them an opportunity to refuse the cancellation request because it wasn't done correctly
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Just off the phone guys. Got a nice guy from Belfast who didnt knoiw about the charges and is cancelling himself after work He told me I should send the letter now so that I avoid vodafone shafting me.

He said going my my usuage etc this month that I have rights to cancel the agreement. But it has to be done in writing and done now.

Thread Information