Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Makes Great Britain Great?

Thanks
    why u want to eat ur monitor? i cant tell if u agree or disaggree with it

oh and if you disagree, then maybe i should point out that it was a subtle use of sarcasm... incase you didnt pick that up from the post itself

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    sorry not to be patrotic but britain ain't great, we've had our time and now its all going down hill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo
    why u want to eat ur monitor? i cant tell if u agree or disaggree with it

oh and if you disagree, then maybe i should point out that it was a subtle use of sarcasm... incase you didnt pick that up from the post itself
    I did detect the sarcasm, i want to eat my moniter cos even joking about things like that makes me wanna ram a steel rod through something...

Edit: In fact, im gonna leave this thread before I insult sum1 and get kicked out

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    If I remember history lessons correctly, it was the fact that we had the industrial revolution first.

Can't think of anything that's particularly great about our country at the moment. (well apart from us anyway)

Thanks
    Ah! People, people. You ARE Britain.

'It' doesn't just go down hill. How you choose to live, how you choose to work. Whether you choose to encourage and support and strengthen and challenge, or complain, ignore, and become apathetic is up to you.

Many things may not be where you think they should be, but they're vastly better than a lot of other places. What's more, things don't have to be perfect or near perfect to be positive about them. Criticism really needs to be constructive, or else it's pointless or destructive.

Out of curiosity - what would the ideal be in a lot of these issues, or for a country?

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
    --Samuel Johnson

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    It doesn't matter how i choose to do anything I can be the nicest person on earth and still be surrounded by morons and people that give scum a good name. And it has just gone down hill, the only time you'll see true patriotism is during any international sporting event, war's, elections, jubilee's and even st george's day have got nothing of the patriotism shown during a world cup tbh, england flags flying everyone suddenly that bit more cheerful. This is a country that ruled the world, fought in-summountable odd's during both world war's and started and industrial revoloution. yet all that brings us together these days is to watch a game of football.

Isn't it only me that finds this sad?

tbh this country has serious problems, and the fact that it seems to be filling up with idiots is only one of them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
    --Samuel Johnson
    That's a comment on scoundrels, not patriotism - Sam Johnson was a patriot.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    "Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious"

Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilbod

The health service is f**ked, the education system is f**ked, the tax system is f**ked, housing is f**ked, transport is f**ked, I could go on like this all night long.
    At least we have these facilities.

Thanks
    What do you guys say patriotism is - practically speaking? And where do you say it comes from?

I agree Knox that it is sad that it's only the odd football game that brings people together. But why can't people make an effort to be more 'patriotic' or 'come together' more, or for different reasons?

I think a lot of anti-patriotic talk is birthed by the P.C. plague which besets us.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0iD
    The British people is what makes Great Britain great, not the politicans, the armed forces, but the jo average man in the street.
    Bingo.

The people who died on the beaches on D-Day, fighting for our freedom, are what makes Britain great.

The Chavs who use this freedom to spend their days nicking cars and writing on walls are what drags us back down.
    Last edited by Stewart; 19-05-2004 at 12:50 AM.

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    I really hate this "Britain is going downhill" attitude. It really gets on my nerves. Most people on these forum, myself included, are not even 30 (well, I just scrape in there ) yet we are quick to slag off the country that we live in.

I'm no nationalist, and some would say I'm no patriot either, but in certain ways I am proud of what Britain has achieved. Think of what Britain has provided to the world:

- Representative Democracy
    - Western based legal framework of justice and the presumption of innocence before guilt
    - Social welfare
    - Universal healthcare
    - The steam engine
    - The jet engine

Britain is the most racially tolerant and ethnically diverse country I have ever been to. People who say that our healthcare, trains, schools and whatnot are **** have obviously not travelled a great deal. When you have witnessed people physically living in a gutter, with NOTHING at all, and with no way out, then you might not have the same opinions.

Britain is not perfect. Domestic violence, crap weather, alcoholism, the Daily Mail and a certain modern streak of selfishness do not help, but on the whole I think it is a country we can be proud of. People are willing to risk their lives to get here ffs!

What makes Britain great? Pub gardens on a lazy Sunday afternoon in July.
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    At this EXACT moment in time absolutley begger all! However take 1 look at our history.
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

The Jelly made me do it! Honoop's Avatar
    Thanks
    What makes Britain Great?

I think its the silly small quirky things as well as the big things like our Armed Forces etc.
    Things like - Fish & Chip shops, Milkmen, greasy fry ups, pubs, Sunday Roast, old ladies who waffle to you on the bus/in the corner shop, 'Nil' points at Eurovision, Jensen Button (atm), the BBC - no matter how pants it is!, TEA!! we are all obsessed with Tea! , Marmalade and toast (yuk), good manners, Cadbury's, London (ok so London isnt small!), Red Buses, Cabbies who cant speak english.........

to name just a few - but thats my opinion!
    If you're not living on the edge, you take up too much room

Thanks
    Caution Extreme Rant!

OK, so the Great part of Britain is the charcter of the people and in the same breath you've hit it's greatess downfall - selfishness.
    Also what do we do, keep looking at the great things that we've done, history, the past.
    If things are getting worse now imagine what the future might hold. I want to know that my children (god help people if I'm allowed to multiply ) are going to be happy, safe and loved at the moment that doesn't really look likely, more like stressed, overworked and on razors edge of falling into debt.

Looking at the presant example - A District Nurse now 60 and still working becuase over the last 20 years the wage increase has been less than that of infation and tax has gone up in clever little ways and to keep ahead of things they have slowy got into to more debt, the most they might earn is about 25k a year (before tax), they have spent a great part of there life caring for people that are dieing, to put it really bluntly they watches people die, not an easy job and one that only a few could cope with.

Lets just look at the RCN the Nurses union, they have managed to get themselves in real debt (Millions) and to combat this they are charging nurses more and more, it's not like us were they can refuse it and carry on working they have to be a member to work.
    You know what they get for this membership, not proper representation and wages, no.. the RCN spends it's entire time crawling up the governments arse. Oh and thanks to our wonderfull legal system the Nurse can get sued at any moment and take the full blame for any mistake. They don't even get a proper ID card, it a buisness card not even laminated.
    Oh do they get insurance or health cover no, the NHS covers itself by changing the poilicy on how to do things almost every year, how you lift patents for example so if after x amount of years service you end up with an injury - you can't touch them, and the RCN does nothing.
    Can they do anything about it no, why because generaly nurses are caring people who do what is really a pritty nasty physical and emotional job and at the end of the day they are exhausted. And managment know this and know that they can quiet happily walk all over them 'keep them down and they will stay down'. At the end of the day they don't want to risk saying this or that is wrong because of the risk to there job, the latest trick with Management is to give tasks to people who are less quallified and then not pay them a penny more, meanwhile cutting back on staff.

I could start telling you about whats wrong with a lot of the things in and out of the NHS, and I don't mean petty little things I mean people having to watch there loved ones die in extreme pain, not nice but true, and why? because of money, either they don't like using the best possible drugs because it costs to much, is too difficult to set up, or that they a scared because of the legal aspect if they are wrong. And it's not just drugs, the proper matress to make sure the pateint doesn't get bed sores and other thing like that.
    A man goes into to hospital after wait for 3 years for an operation to his knee that will stop the pain everytime he walks, giving him a better quaility of life, in hospital in the bed wait to go in after 3 long years theres a 19 year old girl, she's there to have a birth mark removed off her leg, she's had to wait only 2 weeks to get this op - why because she'll look good on the waiting lists becuase she'll only be in for 24 hours, and requires no after care.

That just skimming the surface really, infact I'd be very supprised if that 0.001% of the problems and damage done by Governments and Managment.

So whats really Great about Great Britain is it's abillity to turn everyone into a money value, but keep us all well and truly under the heel because all we do is grin and bear it.

Rant over
    Sorry reading that back it is a bit extreme but I feel a bit better for it Just a grumpy old man at heart really

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information