View Poll Results: How do you believe the us, the earth and all living things came about?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • as the bible says

12 11.01%
  • evolution

97 88.99%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: what do you believe

Thanks
    Big Bang created all! I'm an atheist and that'll speak for itself!
    Love, Peace and Linux

Thanks
    So surely intelligence includes the ability to change beliefs when a more likely one comes along? So surely Christians are people who can't change their beliefs when the theory of evolution was developed? So Christians=dumb?

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • LianLi something something or other
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo FlexScan S1910 (1280*1024)
      • Internet:
      • 2mb Virgin (when they want to give me that: else 1mb)
    Evolution:

Dont want to start a debate there but this is simply what i believe:

1) Who made god? It cant just be there.
    2) at least science tries to answer how we came about (through evolution) rather than simply saying a powerful god made us ...end of story kind of thing.
    3) Any1 could have written any kind of story in the bible, dont get me wrong i beleive that jesus once walked the earth but i dont think he had powers, he was simply some one who was way before their time, so naturaly he would be different. If you think about it Archimedes was way before his time, hes way ahead of most people today even with his maths.

To me god is the big bang, rather than some 1 up there.

anyway thats what i believe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaul
    This is the 'We are right, everyone else is wrong' problem, that I touched on earlier.

As I said then, what makes your group of stories and happenings any more or less likely to be truthful than all the others? Why do you believe in these stories and happenings that you can not prove are true, and disbelieve in other accounts, which again, you can neither prove nor disprove?
    If you are indeed looking for an answer:

All religions aren't created equal! They can be measured and analysed and examined. The two main areas for this to take place would be the accpeted authoritative writings of the faith, and the real life workings (outworkings) of the believers of that faith.

Such an examination must be done honestly and openly.

Perhaps it is true with some religions/faiths, but there are those faiths whereby belief and faith are not displaced from all other knowledge and thinking (just accept it), but find reason and evidence in other areas. That is, they believe they are reasonable and substantial, not requiring the suspension of all other thinking for the acceptance of their beliefs.

As a Christian I would say there is evidence for belief, and the teachings and historicity of the Bible can be borne out in research. That is not to say that all of the Bible can be proven to have happened in history or to be believed 'literally' in the way some would suggest it must be. That would be a dishonest approach to discuss the Bible. As said before, interpretation of the Bible takes some thought for genre and intention in its writings. You cannot throw it out on account of its failure to meet claims that it does not itself make. What can be said is that it can be shown generally that the Bible is a historically accurate and authentic, collection of documents. It cannot be simply dismissed as a modern fabrication, the work or a few controlling individuals (even if at times, some have sought to use (abuse) it that way), or a fictional work such as is found in Greek, Roman, Babylonian or other mythologies.

Christianity has endured for generations, and has grown, doing much good for the world and bringing much transformation, there are many witnesses to it's effect.

Obviously I cannot present all arguments here, or present a full case for the subject. That is not my intent. I aim only to show that an individual can be reasonable in asserting that one religion is 'better' or 'truer' than another.

Some may have age, but lack good effect, some may have witnesses, yet lack logical consistency - if one is honestly seeking to evaluate the faiths, it is a large task, but that can be undertaken, and has been before.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    in my opinion whether you believe in god or science you can't prove either

If there was a god, who created him?

If there was a big bang, how did it start? Where the hell did matter just appear from?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeZZeR
    Where the hell did matter just appear from?

ar this one will stump you
    if the universe isnt infinite and there is an end what is outside that end 'wall'
    there cant be matter so there cant be molecels to reflect lights colour so it wouldnt be white or black, it would jsut be nothingness
    but what is nothingness what does it look like?
    Pete

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    I got one that will stump you even further. Whats beyond this nothingness, and whats beyond that . Its somthing ive always thought.

And another thing, if you think about it, nothingness is indeed "somthing". It might not contain anything but it exists

Ultimately its a question that we are not suposed to answer i think and know the full truth, either way: god/science

Last edited by Dorza; 25-05-2004 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks
    If nothingness even exists. I don't think it does.

I think there is the physical and the spiritual. Both are quite real and not 'nothing'.

Which, as I've posted before is a way to explain the existence of the physical when something cannot come from nothing. Before the physical you cannot have nothing, and you cannot have more physical (that only prolongs the question), what you have is the spiritual (God). The spiritual does no have to adhere to the same laws of causation as the physical.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Registered+
    Inside the crazy mind of a depressed teenager.
    Thanks
    Does God exist? Mmmm...well, it really depends on what you define as "God".

Personally, I think the whole "Almighty Man In Sky With White Beard And Fatherley Voice" religion-thing is a load of rubbish. The religious perception of God is basically a Boogey-man for all you grownups, to organise us into a peaceful, civilized society. The idea that "God", some kind of all powerful being, can punish you for doing something wrong, is what scared the ancient world into evolving.

All religions are based on this, but adapted to their cultures.

However, as I've already said, it depends what you believe. God created the Universe? God was the super-heated particles that preceeded the Big Bang (as said by the wise Dorza). God created life on Earth? God is the Sun. God controls the world? God is George Bush. ops:

That's not to say I believe in everything science says, either. I mean, has anyone actually seen the weak nuclear force?

The Universe is infinite. That's the Universe, not the matter in it. The amount of matter and anti-matter in the Universe is actually pretty tiny. The Big Bang created the matter and energy in the Universe, not the Universe itself. That's what I think, anyway.

Thanks
    A wise man once said:

'There are three certainties in the universe. Energy, matter and enlightened self-interest.'

Religion is based on the third of these options.

(Bonus points to anyone who can tell me who said this!)

Thanks
    umm i dont want any points in the first place? but i like that quote teepee
    i dont really care to be honest what started everything, but i would like to see whats gonna end it all...another big bang?
    Pete

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    umm i dont want any points in the first place? but i like that quote teepee
    i dont really care to be honest what started everything, but i would like to see whats gonna end it all...another big bang?
    Pete

well as far as science is concerned they think it could be somthing like this

I cant stress the words "science" and "think" enough in the above sentence

Thanks
    Hmmm I like the way that article says we have to get off this planet if we are to survive!
    I'd say we've got a long way to go before we need to start worrying about that.

But it is an interesting thought though. Considering that our species Homo sapiens sapiens has only been around 100,000 years or so I wonder how defferent we will be in 4 billion years time. How much further will evolution take us?

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by turkster
    Hmmm I like the way that article says we have to get off this planet if we are to survive!
    I'd say we've got a long way to go before we need to start worrying about that.

But it is an interesting thought though. Considering that our species Homo sapiens sapiens has only been around 100,000 years or so I wonder how defferent we will be in 4 billion years time. How much further will evolution take us?

We would have blown our selves up way before anything "out" there gets us. but yeh it would be intresting to see how we turn out.lol

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    i bet jesus is laughing in his *grave*

Thanks
    we will probably all evolve ina few million years to have no arms or legs cause we will all just spend to long infront of tvs pcs console games

that article on the end of the universe is quite interesting, but i mean four billion years? well be off this planet in about 500 years i reckon so long as we havnt killed ourselve by then

also that thing about the universe crushing itself or it freeze is interesting, i reckon humanity and all other races in the universe...i mean there has to be someoe else dont there? i reckon they will find a way to stop it i mean they will probably think of something more powerful than the big bang surely?
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 30-05-2004 at 10:13 AM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread Information