Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: The Real 10 Commandments (cycling)

Thanks
    • roachcoach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6X58D Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 930 2.8G s1366. Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black, 4x 1 TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB XFX HD5850 BlackEd. 765MHz
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 950W CMPSU-950TXUK
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS MW221u

Re: The Real 10 Commandments (cycling)

Quote Originally Posted by santa claus View Post
    The enlightened accept that unaffordable motoring is an inevitability and are getting on with developing their cycling skills, their lungs, their health and their bank balance. The bicycle is the second most efficient machine ever invented; the first is of course the efficiency of the banking system in haemorraging money.
    I posted that as a biker mate. I swear I could not cope with [many] more bikers than there are today.

As for unaffordable motoring, working from home beckons, I'm a happier biker than most but 40 mile round trip 5 days a week would end me. I'm not as young as I used to be. Plus I'd need to lug a laptop and they are not light, I did it often enough in my old job, backpack was a good 20kg at times.

Methinks you were being sarcastic though

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roachcoach View Post
    I posted that as a biker mate.
    Ah, I tried (badly it seems) to share what I thought might be a mutually agreed perspective with you.

Hey, you ride a bike, you're ok by me . I even like TheAnimus a little more...

Thanks
    • roachcoach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6X58D Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 930 2.8G s1366. Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black, 4x 1 TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB XFX HD5850 BlackEd. 765MHz
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 950W CMPSU-950TXUK
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS MW221u

I cant ride any more, not for the commute, too old for that. Thinking about a half and half via the park and ride once the light sorts itself out, the main road towards where I work is a deathtrap for bikes in the dark.

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • WD500GB+750GB F1 + 250GB external drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 + 3 x Nexus fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

Unfortunately, no we can't and we never will if that footage is anything to go by.

I'm testing a new riding technique at the moment: I'm obeying the highway code; all of it. So, at traffic lights I filter to the front and sit in the middle of the advanced stop lane. The disadvantage I've noticed so far is that I never see the lights change before the motorist immediately behind me, who lets me know with a friendly beep of the horn. Horrified at my error, I turn and apologise profusely and it's smiles all round. The whole incident is complete with just enough time for me (and noone else) to get through the lights.

And you know what, you're absolutely right. I feel so much better for being nice. I have a whole city of opportunity to be nice ahead of me .

You've just reminded me an incident on my commute today. Filtered to the ASZ at the some traffic lights. There was a rather elderly and slow lady crossing the road, and by the time the lights had gone green, she was just approaching the kerb, which was right in front of me.

Despite the fact that I would have mowed her down had I pushed off, the bloody driver behind starts tooting his horn at me! I couldn't believe it, I actually just turned around and laughed at him.

I got a little annoyed after I pushed off again and took great pleasure in filtering past him in the traffic further down the road
    ~'Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity'~ Aldous Huxley

Thanks

Smile Re: The Real 10 Commandments (cycling)

There are 10 cycling laws in the Highway Code:

1. Your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit at night. Yes, that includes YOU students.

2. Your cycle MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85. If the amber pedal reflectors won't fit your new, post 1/10/85 pedals, don't worry, Mr Plod doesn't.

3. You MUST keep to the side intended for cyclists when using segregated cycle tracks as the pedestrian side remains a pavement or footpath. Unless your side is full of meandering pedestrians that is, in which case make it up as you go along.

4. You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement. Even if you are in a leafy, deserted suburb as we have CCTV and we will get you.

5. You MUST NOT carry a passenger unless your cycle has been built or adapted to carry one. This clearly applies to wimmins bikes only as they don't have a crossbar.

6. You MUST NOT hold onto a moving vehicle or trailer. Your bike is a moving vehicle, stop holding on to it dumbass.

7. You MUST NOT ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner. Ve vill decide vot zis means ven ve haf choosing to prozecute you. Ze punishment when you are found guilty (and you will be) vill be dangerous, careless and inconsiderate.

8. You MUST NOT ride when under the influence of drink or drugs, including medicine. Had aspirin, a fag or a coke? Go by bus (you may however. still dress in your lycra gear for the amusement of your fellow passengers).

9. You MUST NOT cross the stop line when the traffic lights are red. Sez who? If it's good enough for the Prime Minister it's good enough for everyone.

10.You MUST NOT cross at a cycle-only crossing until the green cycle symbol is showing. When it is showing though, you can mow down all those liddle kiddies who don't know the goddam rules. And serves 'em right.

The Code offers more non-compulsory advice but You DON'T have to wear a helmet; you DON'T have to have a bell and you DON'T have to use cycle lanes.

You live and learn.
    Informative. Very helpful for me. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by format View Post
    You've just reminded me an incident on my commute today. Filtered to the ASZ at the some traffic lights. There was a rather elderly and slow lady crossing the road, and by the time the lights had gone green, she was just approaching the kerb, which was right in front of me.

Despite the fact that I would have mowed her down had I pushed off, the bloody driver behind starts tooting his horn at me! I couldn't believe it, I actually just turned around and laughed at him.

I got a little annoyed after I pushed off again and took great pleasure in filtering past him in the traffic further down the road
    Sometimes, you just wish you had a gun with you .

Quote Originally Posted by Whealson View Post
    Informative. Very helpful for me. Thanks for sharing it.
    You're welcome.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread Information