Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123451222 ... LastLast

Thread: Hexus Euro 2004 Thread.

Thanks
    There are a good few teams who have a chance of winning euro 2004. I'm just disappointed scotland arent there. Although in all fairness they dont deserve to be there on recent performances.

Not many people will likely agree but i fancy czech republic to do really well. They have an organised squad and arent afraid to grind out results if they have to.

Banned
    Thanks
    On your two points Luke, I can't really agree with either, me old mate.

I can see the logic of bringing on Butt as a defensive, holding midfield player against the French, but at the expense of Rooney?! The boy wonder, whos affraid of no-one and can score goals an international level? That would be suicide. And this isn't just because I'm an Everton fan, I think 99% of England fans want Rooney on the pitch.

We need Owen and Rooney up front, poaching goals. If Butt comes in to keep things a bit more solid, its at the expense of Frank Lampard. If Sven changes anything, that's what he'll do.

As for your second point, about England meating the Portugese or Spanish in the knock-out stages and this being a dodgy match up, I think you are being a bit pessasmistic. There are two teams that we have to admit are stronger than us in this tournament and when playing them a draw would be good, and that's France and Italy.

All the other big guns, England, Holland, Spain, Portugal and Germany, are in the same boat as us - not the favorites, but can win it. We have just as many players in our team that would walk into the Spain, Holland and Portugal squads as they do players that would get into ours.

We have to respect teams like Spain and Portugal, but they are our equals, so we don't have to fear them.

I'd rather plan Spain than Germany to be honest, as the Germans are warriors, they fight and scrap for every ball, and they always seem to get a result when it matters, even with a weak squad. Spain and Holland underachive with stronger squads, all the time (As do England).

I agree with Loki though, the Czechs are strong and if they can get through that group, in place of either Holland or Germany, then they are no soft touches, and could put a big team out or two. Getting to the final would be a massive supprise, but its not beyond them.

Thanks
    Rooney is one of the fans' favourites - but I still don't have the belief that he is up to the task of taking on France

We can get goals with Owen and Rooney together, but France can totally decimate (sp?) any defence in the world and score 3 or 4 easily. We had a good example of this, but from Brazil instead 2 years ago.

I still feel that, sadly, the only way we are going to come out of the game against France with any points is to go negative

And re: Spain and Portugal - they are both (IMO) similar to Italy in style defensively. They'll harrass and get onto Rooney and Scholes in an attempt to get a reaction from them - aswell as the diving - but I don't view them as as big a threat as France. We should've beaten Portugal in Euro 2000, and Ireland took Spain to penalties in the World Cup. Yet they have the potential to really give us a beating - and I feel they just might

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luke313
    Rooney is one of the fans' favourites - but I still don't have the belief that he is up to the task of taking on France
    Eh? Wayne Rooney isn't up to the task of scoreing goals against the Frence defense? Desaille is 104 years old, walks with the aid of a stick, and is partialy blind, and Thruam has had a terrible season for Juventus, really bad.

I can't see your logic here, Rooney is perfect to take on the French; no fear, strong and determined, and a poacher, like Owen. No better player to take on the French.

I still feel that, sadly, the only way we are going to come out of the game against France with any points is to go negative
    I agree, which is why we might play Nicky Butt in midfield, but you don't take off a goal-scorer to do it, you take off an offensive midfielder, like Franky Lampard. So we are a bit more solid and can still score goals.

And re: Spain and Portugal - they are both (IMO) similar to Italy in style defensively. They'll harrass and get onto Rooney and Scholes in an attempt to get a reaction from them - aswell as the diving - but I don't view them as as big a threat as France.
    Well, you won't find anyone who doesn't agree mate. France are a much bigger threat than Spain and Portugal. France are the favorites, and the strongest offensive team in the torunament.

Yet they have the potential to really give us a beating - and I feel they just might
    Spain? Well, they do, but England have as much potential to give the Spanish a beating as they do of giving us one. As I said, France and Italy can claim to be a better team than all others, but Spain, England, Holland, and Portugal are all in the same boat - they need a bit of luck and their big players to come good.

If we can get a 0-0 or a 1-1 draw out of the French game, that will be a superb result for us, and should give us the confidence we need to go through to the knock-out stages.

Thanks
    I'm guessing that from the reactions, I'm the only one that thinks that England's chances have been totally over-hyped

Banned
    Thanks
    Over-hyped by whom? Me? I've said what I think is the case.

By the press? Maybe, but then its their job to stir up a bit of fighting spirit before a major tournament.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    erm sorry but france's defence hasn't let a goal in, in over a year of matches. Flooding the midfield like luke suggested worked for was it ukraine thay played earlier this week, I watched the match on Eurosport and the french where crap imo.

As much as we are over hyped as a team to do well the french won with a very late 2nd half goal.

take heart at how badly zidane has been playing recently in the spanish league for real madrid and take lessons from how to play him out of the game, and i think you'll find that henry is just as passionate as rooney can be.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaul
    Over-hyped by whom? Me? I've said what I think is the case.

By the press? Maybe, but then its their job to stir up a bit of fighting spirit before a major tournament.
    Sorry, wasn't meant to be directed at you - I meant the press + general 'Chav-like' public

Wasn't meant to offend

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG
    erm sorry but france's defence hasn't let a goal in, in over a year of matches. Flooding the midfield like luke suggested worked for was it ukraine thay played earlier this week, I watched the match on Eurosport and the french where crap imo.
    True, their defensive record is good, but then, they haven't been playing the caliber of teams they are going to play at Euro 2004 recently, have they? Their group to qualify was weak and the rest have been friendlies. Point being, that Thuram has has a poor season for Juventus and Desailly is past his best, therefore, in a quality team like France, the defense is the weakness.

Flooding the midfield gives us only Owen up front, Owen and Rooney will play up-front, and Sven may bring on Nicky Butt, giving much the same effect but with twice the goal threat coming from us.

and i think you'll find that henry is just as passionate as rooney can be.
    I don't think you'll find anyone said that he wasn't. Depends is the feeling of making up for the World Cup cock up spurs them on, or adds pressure.
    Last edited by Stewart; 08-06-2004 at 09:06 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luke313
    Sorry, wasn't meant to be directed at you - I meant the press + general 'Chav-like' public

Wasn't meant to offend
    Well, its what you know. The Chav public are pissed Saturdays, not watching the football, so they know nothing.

The Press do it because it sells papers.

Personally, I still think the French, though the best team in the tournament, are being over-sold, and will not dominate like its being predicted. Italy, Spain, England, Holland, Portugal and the Czechs can all beat the French on their day; its not as if France are the only great team in it.

My vote for most under-rated team goes to the Germans. Yes, they are a bit crap, but Germany do well with a good side, an average side and a crap side. World Cup final 2002 an example.

I might have a look at the odds for the Czechs and Germans to get out of Group D and Holland not making it. Should be quite long...

Thanks
    For fun - "there's prizes" - UEFA Predictor

England are going to win it.

And here's why - the English national teams have been suffering under mediocrity for too long. We invent all the sports, and then get poop at them. But, I have a funny feeling that things are changing. From the Rugby world cup, to the recent successes of the England cricketers, something's in the air. The time for gloating over England inadequacies is over. We're going in there, showing a strong work ethic, heart and determination (that have been missing for too long), and we're winning it.

England are going to top their group. France will be good, but England will sparkle on form. France will then be disheartened and I can see them losing out to Italy later on. England up against Holland in the semis will be a great game, and then on to the final where we dance Italy to the death.

Look out for Croatia.

Now, if only I can find a way to watch the games. Apparently the US doesn't think too much of showing significant soccer tournaments - especially not European ones. I mean - our cable company only scheduled regular line maintenance the night of the England-Brazil game - World Cup play-off rounds - who wants to watch that anyway?

Anyway, enough rambling - go England.
    Last edited by Galant; 08-06-2004 at 10:13 PM.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    Thuram Doubts Rooney Class

Owen Not Afraid of France

England don't need to be afraid of anyone. They need to figure out what they need to do. I think 60% of this game is mental. England need to prepare themselves to stoke it up when the game gets hard - get it done, not let themselves get intimidated. France, whilst not beligerent, aren't expecting too much from England. If England go in with their game faces on, and keep them on, we can take France by surprise, intimidate them, and when they heat it up on the counter - we need to already be there mentally, ready and waiting.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Banned
    Thanks
    Yes, but don't assume the French are taking England lightly. The pressure is on France to do well after their World Cup disaster, where the went out in the first round, without winning a game or even scoring a goal.

Henry, Viera, Pires, Desailly and Bartez all know the English game, after playing for top English teams, and they know of the quality of players like Owen, Gerard, Beckham and co, after playing them in the Premiership.

France will not go into this game with anything less than 100% respect for England; don't let the old cliche of French arrogance fool you, they will respect us, and fear losing. We will do the same.

France are expecting a lot from England; they are expecting their toughest test of the group stages by far, and they are expecting the fight and drive of the quality English players they know we have.

Hoping France come into the game half-hearted isn't going to do it for us; they will be ready, as will we.

If England can get a draw, even a 0-0, it will be a superb result for us.

Thanks
    I want to believe that we can win against them - I want to believe that we can win the whole thing, but something in the back of my mind is telling me to think again

Whether its seeing what's happened in the past few years (I hate to keep bringing this same example up, but the World Cup 2002 - and the disappointment that we had after 2 outstanding performances [Argentina + Denmark] and then lost to Brazil), or if its something else: I just don't think England are going to do as well as everybody is saying they will

No doubt at 10 oclock Sunday night I'll be eating my words as England thrash France 3 - 0

Banned
    Thanks
    I doubt we can win, but I hope we don't lose. I'm going for a nice, boring 0-0 or 1-1 draw.

Then again, I didn't think we could beat the Argies at the last World Cup and we did... I didn't think I'd ever see England beat Germany 5-1 in their own back yard, and we did.

We can win, although its more likely the French will, and a draw will be good for us, and Ok but not so good for the French. I think that sums it up.

Although, to be honest, I've not seen too many people going over the top about England, the sensible statement is 'England can win Euro 2004'. That's about as positive as you can be, without letting the heart rule the head.

We are one of 6 or 7 teams who can win it, and that's good enough for me.

Thanks
    Italy all the way, totti will show his class and with flair like Cassano up front if we dont get to the final it will be a crime! Seriously i think we have got a great chance of winning, but we will have to play our best football through the tournament to compete with the likes of France, but our defence is probally one of the best in the world so Henry should be kept at bay.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123451222 ... LastLast

Thread Information