Page 1 of 24 12341121 ... LastLast

Thread: Hexus Euro 2004 Thread.

Banned
    Thanks

Hexus Euro 2004 Thread.

Well, as the big kick off is less than a week away now, I thought I'd start the Euro 2004 thread.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of Euro 2004, the teams, the players, England’s chances, and everything else that goes with it. This is not the place to post about how you dislike sports, or football in general, or anything else. Stay on topic, and if you are not sure of the topic, look at the top of the page, if you have no interest, don’t post. Thanks.

This is England’s probable first choice squad:

• James
    • Neville
    • Campbell
    • Terry
    • A. Cole
    • Beckham
    • Lampard
    • Gerard
    • Scholes
    • Owen
    • Rooney

Assuming injuries and tiredness don't come into it yet (we need to get to the later stages for that to have a major effect), only really Nicky Butt should get a look in, coming on as a defensive midfielder, in place of Frank Lampard, to play against teams that require a defensive holding player, so that teams like France, who can rip you apart on the counter, don't find our entire midfield in their box when they get the ball.

So, what do we think of our chance then? Personally, if I had to put my house and car on it, I put them on Latvia, as I don't own my own house or car, and it'd be a laugh.

Seriously though, England are in that group of teams that can realistically win the tournament, and really, I suppose that's all you can hope for. If you're in with a shout, then you need a bit of luck and your big players to perform, and a bit more luck, and then, who knows?

France, Italy, England, Spain, Holland, Portugal, Germany. Those are the 7 teams that I think can win Euro 2004.

The French on the grounds that they are arguably the best team in the world, have arguably the best striker in the world in Thiery Henry, and arguably the best midfielder in the world in Zindane. Still, their defence is not as water-tight as you'd expect, and Desaille is now 84 years old, and not the player he once was. Bartez doesn't exactly instil confidence either.

I think the French will concede goals, but I know the French will score as well.

Assuming they don't perform as they did during the 2002 World Cup, where they didn't win a match, didn't score a goal, lost to the world footballing giants of Senegal, and went home in disgrace, it will take a great performance from a great team to send them home.

The team to beat.

Then I think comes Italy, Spain, Holland, and England; not in that order, although I would put Italy as 2nd favourites.

All have a chance to win it, and can all beat the French on their day. Italy will be as professional and boring as ever, and try to defend 1-0 scorelines, all the way to the final.

Spain and Holland; well, they have great players going into this tournament, such as Raul for Spain and Van Nisteelroy and Klivert for Holland, but then, they always have great players going into major tournaments, and always underperform. Dangerous, but you have the feeling they will go out in the Quarters or Semis.

Now England: Well, obviously the heart says we can win, but the head does as well. We are in the group of teams that can win it, and our performance at the last World Cup, where we took on Argentina, who were at the time, along with the French the best team in the world, and eventually went out to the winners, is promising.

Unlike then, Beckham is fully fit, Gerard not injured, Rooney has emerge to remove the need for Heskey up front, and the whole team, quite a young one, has grown up a few years.

So, if we can go to the World Cup, beat Argentina and lose to the eventual winners, we can go to Euro 2004, in better shape, with a better squad and no injuries, and do very well.

Finally, Portugal and Germany.

Portugal as the hosts, which gives them a great chance of doing well, with the added support, and the Germans. Never write off the Germans. I did at the last World Cup, and they still got to the final. This team isn't even a shadow of former German teams, and it probably as bad as the team England destroyed 5-1 in their own backyard, but if they beat Holland in their first game, I'd expect them to do well. Again.

Finally, the groups.

Group A
    Portugal.
    Spain.
    Greece.
    Russia

Got to be Spain and Portugal to go through from this group. Russia are no mugs, but unless Spain start the underachieving very early, or Portugal bottle it on home turf, I can't see any other outcome.

Group B
    France.
    England.
    Croatia.
    Switzerland

France and England to go through, Croatia may cause the big teams problems on their day, but those we should go through with the French. The only worry is that Henry and his friends, pumped up for the first game after their 2002 failure, stuff us 4-0, and we need to pick ourselves up off the ground in time for the next game.

Of course, a draw or a win against the French will have the opposite effect, and we'll be full of confidence. That 6-1 win against Iceland helps of course, but something tells me the French are a tad stronger overall than Iceland.

Group C
    Italy.
    Bulgaria.
    Sweden.
    Denmark.

Bit of a boring group, for me. Italy, should win it, and then any one of the three Scandinavian sides can go through, with a good result. Take your pick really... I'll go for Italy to win the group and Sweden to nick 2nd place, in a very boring group.

Group D
    Germany.
    Holland.
    Czech Republic.
    Latvia.

Good group. Latvia are here for the experience, and baring a miracle, will not go through, but apart from them, it’s very interesting. Holland have the class players, Germany always seem to do well, and the Czechs are the strongest of the teams who can't win it, but can put a few bigger teams out and reach the knock-out stages.

Germany and Holland to go through I reckon, but this is the tightest group to call. I half fancy the Czechs to go though, but in who's place? Depends if Holland’s habit for underachieving or Germany's lack of genuine talent on the pitch, shows first as well. Be a bit easier to call after the first game, Holland Vs Germany.

Anyway, after all that, if it all goes as it should (which it won't, as this is football), you end up with the 7 teams who can win it, plus which ever Scandinavian team goes through with Italy from Group C.

From an English point of view, we want as many of those 7 to fall at the group stages as pos. If all 7 get through, its quality teams all the way through the knock-out stages. So, we want the Czechs to put out Holland or Germany, or maybe even the Italians to have a nightmare, and finish third on goal difference, or Russia to pip Spain or Portugal to the 2nd spot.

No chance of the French not going through and us going through though, so they will be there.

Just a final word about Latvia, as they are the hero's of this tournament. See, before the England - Turkey game, that would decide who went to Euro 2004 and who had to qualify, the Turkish manager was running his mouth off about how the old teams had had their day, and it was time for the new teams like Turkey to take their place.

So, after we got the place and they had to qualify, it made him eat his words... but not as much as when they lost that qualifier to tiny Latvia, so they won't be at Euro 2004 at all.

So, just for putting the Turkish manager in his place and making his ill-chosen boast seem very hollow, I hope Latvia can get a win from somewhere. They deserve it.
    Last edited by Stewart; 07-06-2004 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks
    Agreed on most points but Germany can win it? ARE YOU MAD
    They are worse than useless. Aside from the last beating they got off England they just repeated the feat against Romania.

They may have got to the final of the world cup but the best team they played on the way there was Ireland and they should've lost that match also.
    Knight 1: We are now no longer the Knights who say Ni.
    Knight 2: NI.
    Other Knights: Shh...
    Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say..."Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

Banned
    Thanks
    Never, I repeat never, I say again NEVER, I utter once more N-E-V-E-R, I make clear once again NEVER and I do mean N-E-V-E-R write off the Germans.

With a team of very average players, they reach the finals of the World Cup, and if they beat Holland in their first game, I can see them getting to the semi's. They always do.

Thanks
    Alright mate, bet you £5 they don't get out of that group
    Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say..."Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy
    Did anyone see this program that was on TV about Englands dream squad incorporating players from all different eras. My mate told me about it and th line up was quite ... mouthwatering!

Although, imagine if Brazil did the same thing! LOL! Anyways. Go England!

Thanks
    Did you also see that they put David Beckham on the right wing instead of Sir Stanley Matthews. Muppets

Banned
    Thanks
    Hmm, problem is, with the Czechs, Holland and Germany, its anybodies to take. Its a toss up and I'd not put money on the Germans getting out of that group... but then, I'd not put money on Holland getting out either, and they have loads of quality.

Put it this way: if I'd said to you 'The Germans will do well at the 2002 World Cup' you'd have said the same thing, i.e. you're mad. Then what happens? They get to the final. Now, same again, average team not including Ballack who's quality, and everyone's waiting for them to fal apart, but will they?

With the Germans ability to win with an average team ( etc) and Hollands ability to lose with a great team, as well as the Czechs being very strong, who knows who will get out of it?

Just never write off the Germans.

Thanks
    A quick perusal of their performance last time:
    12.06 Liège Germany 1-1 Romania
    12.06 Eindhoven Portugal 3-2 England
    17.06 Arnhem Romania 0-1 Portugal
    17.06 Charleroi England 1-0 Germany
    20.06 Charleroi England 2-3 Romania
    20.06 Rotterdam Portugal 3-0 Germany
    The world cup was a goddam fluke. Wales could have got to the final with their run.
    And let us not forget that the team above was Keegans England

Thanks
    Germany got to the final of the world cup because of -

a) Fair bit of luck
    b) Oliver Khan

Ok so that 2 - 0 defeat by Hungary last night didn't help them much either but there is no doubting Khan carried Germany quite a bit through '02. Saudi Arabia weren't exactly the cream of the footballing crop either

8 - 0 anyone?

Banned
    Thanks
    But reach the finals they did. And that's the point, they just won't give up.

We beat them, we destroy them, we humiliate them, we grind them into the dirt, 5-1, in their own back-yard, and still, they reach a World Cup final. The Germans are like no other footballing nation, in that they just seem to do it when it matters, so form, going into a major tournament, or even the quality of their squad doesn't seem to matter.

You look back at prvious Euro championships and who's won it the most times? Yep, its those friendly, fluffy Germans. '72, '80 and '96.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right. Nothing would please me more than for you to be right. To finally be able to discount the old enemy, but I did so before the last World Cup, and then sat and watched them in the final. Now, aparently, we can write them off again. Just like last time.

Thanks
    Ah well. I like to discount them and will rejoice when Oliver Khan is finally prised from the gloves at the age of 83.
    As regards who will win I would say it's impossible to call.
    France, Italy, Spain, Holland all have outstanding teams and I would place them slightly ahead of England and Portugal.
    I would probably put my money on Italy to bore their way to the final. gits.

Thanks
    I'm at work on the weekend of the final.

I think France will win it. They've got the best players and the best manager (am I biased, being a Spurs fan? ).

Italy have got a chance but they're not the great team they've been in the past.

Spain and England always seem to have great teams but always choke under the pressure.

Holland have great players but aren't a team.

Germany might make it to the final but I don't see them winning it.

Thanks
    No offence meant Aaron but goddam what a career move for Santini. He'll win Euro2004, resign from the spurs job within a year cos all the players are injured and be managing scunthorpe within 6 months.

Having said all that I support Forest
    Last edited by GreenPiggy; 07-06-2004 at 12:05 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Is a bit of a strange move. The coach of the current Eruo champions and probably the best team in the world, leaving to manage Spurs, who apart from my own team (Everton) were the most disapointing side in the Premiership last season. Why?

David Trez twisted an ankle in France's win over the Ukrain... hope he's not 100% for the England game.

Thanks
    No offence meant Aaron but goddam what a career move for Santini. He'll win Euro2004, resign from the spurs job within a year cos all the players are injured and be managing scunthorpe within 6 months.
    No offence taken. We've ruined many managers' and players' careers over the years.

It's promising for Spurs, but I'm sure we'll still do rubbish.

Thanks
    If I was Sven right now and I was planning the tactics for this first encounter with France (I wish ) I'd seriously be considering sacrificing the young Rooney in favour of Butt. Now, before you flame me, let me expand

Rooney is 18. He has no experience of a major tournament (at club or international level). He has yet to prove himself (To me) as an exceptional, big-game striker. He has scored a few goals for Everton, and even more for England, but the bulk of them were in international friendlies. And you just know that the French defenders will start harrassing (sp?) him, so his temper may come as a factor.

Nicky Butt is in his late-20's. He has a Champion's League winners medal. He has Premiership title's and FA Cup's winners medals also. He had (IMO) a fantastic World Cup 2 years ago. He is a player that you can trust will stick to his defensive duties, and won't get himself booked unnecessarily (Scholes, Rooney, Beckham to some extent).

Nicky Butt has the ability to man-mark Zidane out of the France game, and an age-ing Zidane probably won't last much more than 70 minutes in a big game like next Sunday's.

So my proposition is to play like this: -

James

G. Neville Terry Campbell Cole

Butt

Beckham Gerrard Scholes Lampard

Owen

I say we play for the first 60-70 mins to block out any oppurtunities for France. We will be only playing to their advantages by 'coming onto them' and give them the chance to counter-attack. So, we play defensively and play long, diagonal balls for Owen to run onto - he can outpace Desailly easily, maybe a bit closer with Silvestre/Thuram??

If this tactic isn't working (Which it probably won't knowing my vast footballing knowledge ), and France have scored a goal or 2, THEN we bring Rooney on (And maybe Heskey for some physical presence) and THEN we attack and go looking for goals (Of course this leaves France to play fast counter-attacks for Henry, but they'll do that whenever )

Escaping the France game with a draw would be nice, but, bearing in mind that our opponents after the group stage are going to be either Portugal or Spain isn't going to inspire us much post-group stage

Just my 2p...

Page 1 of 24 12341121 ... LastLast

Thread Information