• Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Didn't think he'd got away from that unscathed when i saw his boot come off

Commander Keen
    Thanks
    seriously.. I have no biased interest in this game.. I think, yeah you were robbed of a fine winning goal in the last minutes...

But REALLY, can you say that you played well enough to get the win ? Seriously, after the goal you were rubbish (thats 3min in if you take note). I say that rooney had a quiet game up-til he came off, so speculating of his impact is a) lies and b) positive future guessing <- (badly phrased that).

You sat back and invited portugal, they had all the possession and I feel that on the balance they deserved to be winning it in the final minute... the chalked off goal was a terrible decision. but IMHO the boring crap that you were playing for 60 min did not deserve to have the goal that campbell scored. Though this does NOT defend the insane refs decision. It HAS to make sense in terms of attractive football. Everybody should abstract and say that portugal at least attacked whenever they could, and THAT is more fun to watch later.

I know that seeing England win it - no matter how, except if they dive/cheated - would be far more satisfactory than my answer. But football is hard. Take the lessons and look toward the German world cup..

Good luck !

Thanks
    A win is a win, it does not matter if the football played was attractive or not.

On the night, Portugal played better football, and had a very poor refereeing decision go their way with Sol's goal. Out of all the games Portugal played so far in the tournament, they played their best tonight.

Commander Keen
    Thanks
    also.. England played their worst tonight....

"I know that seeing England win it - no matter how, except if they dive/cheated - would be far more satisfactory than my answer." <- am posting this in standard mode, so no proper quoting.

AND

"A win is a win, it does not matter if the football played was attractive or not."

How do these differ chief ? I thought I had made an unattackable and clear statement. I was simply saying that realistically a win is a win... But in my case - where I don't care who wins - whichever team played the better football deserves to win. This stance means that England should have beaten France IMO, and would not have played portugal.

But I also hate football extrapolation from possible events !

Hope the rest of the tournament is as exciting as tonight. At least the game had incidents...
    Last edited by killgORE; 25-06-2004 at 04:26 AM.

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy
    OK, England were bad. I still think that TOO much is made of Rooney, he is only one player, and I do not like it when players are singled out. Yes its nice to have a superstar, but one shouldn't make too much of it, then when something happens like it did, everything seems to fall apart.

England looked very tired and lathargic in play. Whether that was because Porugal had one more day rest than us, I don't know. As for the ref, I think HE was paye a few bob to make things go th home nations way. Yellow cards for England for bad tackles, same type of tackle from Portugal, nope just a kick.

As for penalties, I can't stand them so switched off and walked upstairs!

Thanks
    well, as for the first time I've sat down and watched footie - it was ... interesting.
    penalty shoot-out was a bit of a joke. i'm surprised someone didn't come down onto the field with some water to tamp down that penalty spot, but there you go.
    I personally think Portrugal played well, with some real passion and style. England seemed slower, a bit more lethargic - but with better accuracy. I can't comment on Sol's goal - but, if given the goalie seemed to have been interferred with (from what I could see) that would be justification for disallowing the goal. intereting game - feel really sorry for beckham... poor little bugger - I think the humiliation from that moment would be incredibly upsetting.

Thanks
    • aeonf242's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ZBOX-AD02
      • CPU:
      • 1.6 GHz Dual Core All-in-One
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 100gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon™ HD 6310
      • PSU:
      • Power Brick
      • Case:
      • ZBOX-AD02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 21.5" HD Thing
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Thing
    Gutted.

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    We deserved it. Sven played the 'get and early goal and defend a 1-0 lead' for 90 minutes AGAIN! We id the same against France and lost. I said in the first 30 minutes of the game that we were gonna lose, because of the tactics being employed.

I heard this morning the goal was disallowed for Sol Campbell pushing a defender before he headed the goal in.

I have one major complaint.....why didn't we get a penalty for Rooney getting his ankle stood on in the box?

Thanks
    We may not have played that well, but having your star striker injured so early in the game is going to knock the stuffing out of any team.

robbed - pure and simple.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big RICHARD
    I have one major complaint.....why didn't we get a penalty for Rooney getting his ankle stood on in the box?
    Rooney made nothing of it - he lost his boot and carried on chasing the ball, had he not lost his boot he would probably have been fine, but he tried to play on and attempt at goal wearing only one boot, and only displayed discomfort afterwards.

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skii
    Rooney made nothing of it - he lost his boot and carried on chasing the ball, had he not lost his boot he would probably have been fine, but he tried to play on and attempt at goal wearing only one boot, and only displayed discomfort afterwards.

A foul's a foul isn't it?

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    We may not have played that well, but having your star striker injured so early in the game is going to knock the stuffing out of any team.

robbed - pure and simple.
    We should have played to win by a bigger margin than 1 goal. You can't defend a 1-0 lead for 90 minutes at international level!

Thanks
    A foul's a foul isn't it?
    What foul ?

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    What foul ?
    Standing on and breaking an opposition players foot?

Thanks
    Standing on and breaking an opposition players foot?
    Rooneys boot came off as they were both chasing the ball, as much as I think we were robbed, I honestly don't think it was an offence. Two players both going for the ball - one just in his sock.
    Rooney should not have pursued the ball with his boot missing, and had his boot stayed on its likely he wouldn't have sustained the injury he did.

If everyones boot came off at the point of a tackle there would be a lot less players left on the field - that incident was simply bad luck IMO

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Ski - from what i saw of the replays rooney's boot didnt just randomly come off, his ankle was stood on by the other guy as they were both running flat out, and this dragged rooney's boot off his foot and also injured him.

But as for why the ref blew during that incident i have no idea.

Anyway i usually make fun of the english when they lose but this time i am not gonna coz that was a gutwrenching match and i only managed to drag myself out of the seat to go get more guiness. Unlucky chaps.

Butuz

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 LastLast

Thread Information