• Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

Tech Support Funnies

Dunno if you know or have read these before ...

"You asked for bizarre computer problem stories. This one's true; I saw it happen. My secretary's
    printer was printing reams of Wingdings. She called tech support. The guy came down and rebooted
    her Mac. Still Wingdings. Deleted her printer and reinstalled. Still Wingdings. Deleted printer and
    reinstalled using drivers from network server. Still Wingdings. Turned printer off, waited, turned back
    on. Still Wingdings. Elevated to level two support who did something remotely to her Mac.
    Rebooted. Still Wingdings.

After about an hour of this, my secretary (in total oblivious innocence) said, "I didn't want to waste
    all that paper that printed garbage, so I put it back in the paper input tray upside down."

I will never forget the look on that tech's face when he pulled out the paper tray and saw it full of
    paper already printed with Wingdings (her LaserJet prints off the bottom of the sheet). Priceless,
    and she did it completely innocently."
    -------------------

Des relates a few stories: "I used to do desktop support and was called back to one of my users
    whose problem I had just fixed. I sat down and immediately maximized the open window - just a
    personal preference. She then exclaimed, "Oh! You've fixed it! How did you do that?"
    --------------------

On another occasion, I was called back by another user who was quite annoyed with a problem I'd
    left her with. The problem turned out to be that the radio button in the Windows shutdown dialogue
    box was on Restart and she wanted it set back to Shutdown but had no idea how to do it.

----------------------------

Dave on color coordinating: "I recently got a call to a company I originally set up with a network of
    30 PCs. The call was that none would connect to the Internet and none of the phones would dial
    out. After going through the usual gremlins, I had to admit defeat and make a journey to the office.
    On arrival I noticed they had employed a new office junior who had just come out of the
    stationary/patch room. She was complaining that she had been asked to tidy the room and that the
    cabinet with the cables had been a real mess. At that point I needed a chair and stiff drink. You
    guessed it - she had unplugged all 400 cables from the patch board and put them back in a neat
    rainbow fashion back into the board! That took 3 hours to unravel. They are less one office junior,
    too."

---------------------

Richard talks about helping his dad: "I was trying to help my dad get his CD-ROM to read over the
    phone 2,000 miles away. I told him to put the CD in and it should auto start, but it didn't. Then I told
    him to go to My Computer and gave him the info to access the drive. Nothing showed up. I was
    thinking it had to be a hardware problem with his CD-ROM. I told him to open the CD-ROM drawer
    and remove the CD. His response was, "Are there supposed to be two CDs in the drawer?" There
    went a whole hour out of my life with my patience wearing thin."

---------------------

Shawn Henrichs on the joys of faxing: "I had a secretary that called me to her office to tell me her
    new fax machine that I installed did not work. I went there, placed a paper in the feed tray, dialed
    the number, and she said, "See! The paper came right back out the other side!"

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Oh they were good ones
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flanderz

Des relates a few stories: "I used to do desktop support and was called back to one of my users
    whose problem I had just fixed. I sat down and immediately maximized the open window - just a
    personal preference. She then exclaimed, "Oh! You've fixed it! How did you do that?"

don't laugh - i do this at least once a week!!! lotus notes 4.6 (which we use at work) has an annoying habit of trying to be too clever, insfoar as, if you shut the application down with your indox minimised, it retains this "preference" and when you start it up again, your inbox is automativally minimised

i regaularly get calls from a frantic members of staff claiming that "all my emails have gone" only to walk round to their desk, right click the taskbar, maximise....jobs a good 'un! i walk away a hero

as the saying goes "in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king"
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

HEXUS.net Webmaster
    Thanks
    ah, I used to be a Notes 4.6 programmer many moons ago. Really good at workflow applications but the user interface was appalling

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks
    you ain't wrong there Az
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Thanks
    The one with the "tidying" of the patch board made me cringe for the guy!

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks
    Last job I was trying to fault find across some patch cables as I needed to trace what switch ports were connected to which floor ports as the site documentation was woefully out of date. Previously the on site techies had decided to tidy the comms room. All the cables were nice and neatly cabled into looms. The looms layered and then cable tied again to the racks. Ever tried to trace a cable across 4 or 5 cabinets in this fashion?
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

Thread Information