Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: losing weight : part 2

Thanks

losing weight : part 2

Hi guys,

continued from this thread : http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=25812

Well i've been running for about 2/3 weeks almost everyday now and started to do a few situps and pressups when i get up and before i sleep...

and think i can seriously see some positive results already i've also basically ate less junk food too...

Also on top of all that recently been given 2 * 5kg dumbells for myself to use, so that's good news to.

One question though, is it bad to run everyday, i am now able to run at about 5mph for a constant 30mins which is pretty good as at the start of this i could barely run

I know its best not to use the weights everyday though...

Thanks

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Why is it not best to use weights every day? I use a set of 10kg dumbells every day and i have no complaints

herbalist
    Thanks
    i do 20 sit-ups and 10 push-ups every morning, and 30 sit-ups and 15 push-ups in the evening. i eat 2 balanced and healthy meals a day now, as well as walking a lot more and drinking more water and squash instead of pop. i've lost about 1/2stone now by doin this, and i'm feeling a lot better. i dont bother with weights tho, cos i'm strong already and dont wanna bulk out ne more.
    peace

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

Thanks
    There is nothing wrong with running every day per say, as long as you don't overdo it. The key thing to ensure is that you have a decent set of running shoes that suit your running style, i.e. how you pronate. Any good running shop can give you advice on this. The other thing is just to listen to your body, if your joints / tendons start to ache a lot or are painful, then give running a rest for a day or two.

As for weights there is nothing wrong with doing them every day either, again as long as you don't overdo it. The main piece of advice is not to train the same muscle group twice within a 24hr period if you train them to exhaustion. Especially large muscle groups such as chest / back / legs.
    If it ain't broke, fetch a bigger hammer

Thanks
    has anyone got any advice on how to re-gain an appetite? I'm not eating atm, its worrying me :/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville
    Why is it not best to use weights every day? I use a set of 10kg dumbells every day and i have no complaints
    As Auran says it depends on the intensity of the exercise. If you work the muscle to exhaustion every day then it'll never have a chance to repair itself and your progress will be slow. If you work the muscle more gently then every day should be fine.

My own method when I decide that I look a bit puny is to do pressups on one day and then crunches and arm curls on the next, so all the muscles I want to work get exercised every two days. For each exercise I work the muscle until it pretty much totally fails, then I recover and do another two sets for three in total.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID
    Quote Originally Posted by Emzay
    has anyone got any advice on how to re-gain an appetite? I'm not eating atm, its worrying me :/
    Drink lots. That's why Kebab shops are still making pots of money.

Thanks
    Emzay
    Loss of appetite is usually associated with one of the following; stress, disrupted sleep patterns, illness and the weather (extremes of hot and cold affect the appetite if you are not used to them).

I'm assuming that the latter isn't the case in Selby ;-)

If it's one of the other two then once sorted out your appetite will come back (usually). Apart from that, doing exercise of some form, even if it's just going for a long walk now and again can help to kickstart the appetite. If none of that works or if it really worrying you, go and see your GP as they can probably tell you lots of other ways to sort it out.
    If it ain't broke, fetch a bigger hammer

Thanks
    thanks guys...

will stick at it then

oh what happens if i keep doing same weights would that mean i become more toned ?

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Auran
    The key thing to ensure is that you have a decent set of running shoes that suit your running style, i.e. how you pronate. Any good running shop can give you advice on this.

As for weights there is nothing wrong with doing them every day either, again as long as you don't overdo it. The main piece of advice is not to train the same muscle group twice within a 24hr period if you train them to exhaustion
    firstly many sports shops try to sell a product to you claiming you 'pronate' or use some other fancy physiological words to basically baffle you and thus convice you they must be right. they are, in my experience, often very wrong. get a show that fits snuggly - not corsette tight nor slipper slack but a good firm supportive hold that also allows some give, and wander around the shop - don't be pushed into getting them, if the sales person tries this then simply walk away (in your own shoes of course).

snow munki -
    as far as running every day: the MOST important thing when training of any kind is the recovery period after the exercise. I would advise you run/exercise 6 days and leave one completely free as a day of nothing, nada, zip. this day off is your recovery day. this though assumes your current regime/plan is ok and you're having no probs with it at all. even top athletes have a rest day each week, its that vital as without it you don't give the body any chance to recover and gradually grind it down to a point where even getting out of bed is a real struggle - not just 'don't want to get out of bed' but 'can't get out of bed without feeling nackered all day'. its called over training - and it really sucks, believe me.
    I don't think you'll be getting that as I got it from very high intensity work and elite competition but without suitable resting I ran into real trouble, so what ever the level of intensity I always stipulate a day off, or a day of virtually nothing if a competition is just round the corner, to whoever I'm coaching so as to ensure there's no over-training possible.
    so, given you're building up from nothing it is very important to allow the body to rest after each session. then you're ready for the next and might even push harder...you'll be miles better in no time.

similar rules apply for weight lifting/exercise against resistance. weights effectively cause stress/damage on muscles that 'repair' themselves stronger and thus allowing you to lift more [strength increase]. so, naturally a suitable period of rest is also required. If you are starting out I'd suggest 3 times a week, thats one session every other day then your rest day. the weights you lift and program you follow may depend on your ability and what might be available but the most important thing is to start SLOW. try and be a macho man and you'll rip yourself a new a*hole [or muscle, either way its not good]. get the movement right for how to do each lift correct then build up the weight. strong scientific evidence has proven that knowing HOW to lift a weight out strips the ability/apparent muscle strength...take me, i'm tiny and skiny and weight around 70kg but i lifted 320kg max, figure that! so its more about taking the time to get it right - there is no one hit wonder to boost your strength.

so, in conclusion - over 7 days, run every day for 6 days with one day off. do weights every other day e.g. day 2,4 and 6, again nothing on day 7, your day off. on the days you do weights perhaps don't run as hard as those days you don't - and be sure to go for a warm down jog and stretch after weights - your body will thank you for this the next morning.
    lastly, enjoy your day off, you earned it.