Thread: Spartacus (the old movie)

Thanks

Spartacus (the old movie)

anybody see the movie?

for english i need to do a commentary about it and i need to know these things

Setting

Plot-What events in the story are emphasized? How the story is told? WHo is the intended audience?

Characters-What characters are in the movie? What aspects of the characters are emphasized?

Style-How are the films made? What kind of artistic filmaking techniques are used (lighting, angles, slow motion, etc.)? How is the music used?

Quality-How is the quality of the film

thanx you

Thanks
    I think all those things are opinions mate, so the only way you're gonna get a decent answer is to watch the film yourself. Sorry

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks
    /\ /\ what ben said - you're gonna have to watch it fella, (or someone is going to have to watch it for you to provide those sorts of answers)

on the positive side, it is a fantastic film....i never got homework like that for english when i was at school

I am spartacus

no..I am spartacus

etc...etc....
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks
    You should still be able to get the film from blockbuster. I think they did a re-release not so long back.

Basically the setting is the late Roman republic and centres around the events of a gladiator school near Capua. A string of events which led to a widespread gladiator revolt and ensuing slave revolt led by the gladiator Spartacus (played by Kirk Douglas).

They were at large for 2 years and fought a number of battles the length and breadth of Italy. Typically Hollywood condensed this down into a much shorter timescale and only included the final of the major battles and made reference to one of the early ones where he ambushed a legion sent to round him up whilsdt the slaves were camped on teh slopes of mount Vesuvius. It also fails to show the divisions within the gladiator camp which has some of the major players, who existed in history, present at the end when they had in fact been killed in earlier battle as a result of going off on their own to plunder instead of doing as Spartacus wanted. Which was to cross the Alps, disperse and melt away into unconquered Gaul and Germany. Ceaser didin't conquer Gaul until about 20 years later. Unless he was trying to hide out in Cisalpine Gaul, around modern Milan, which would have been hard with about 120 000 followers.

A passing reference is made to the young Julius Ceaser who began his ascendancy at around this time. Lawrence Olivier plays the part of Crassus, portrayed as a veteran Roman General. When in fact Crassus was an unscrupulous politician of dubious military talent. A number of leading characters existed in history though little is known about them. Namely Spartacus himself. http://www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/spartacus.html give you some of the historical background. Crassus was never a dictator nor did he instigate proscriptions. The forcible confiscation of a noblemans land and possessions. That was Cornelius Sulla who dided in 78 BC. 5 years before the revolt.

Spartacus is portrayed as an unwilling leader caught up in events who has the best interests of his 'people' at heart and merely wants to lead them to freedom. He is coerced by his colleagues to stay and fight the Romans. This follows the line of history in a simplified format. They are seen as being hemmed in at the end by Pompey, this being the reason for thier ultimate defeat. Though Pompey was not at the battle and in fact all he did was block the escape of the last of the slaves fleeing to the north.

Spartacus did get his people into the north if Italy but for some reason they turned around and headed south. Which led to their ultimate demise. This important fact was missing from the film. As well as teh fact that they travelled the length and breadth of Itally for the 2 years of the revolt. But then, when did Hollywood ever pay any real attention to history.

A film aimed at an American audience for the purpose of entertainment not an historical lesson. Shot in 1960 with emphasis in the 'Mediteranean' climate. Bright light and hot sun. A classic nonetheless despite the historical wanderings. With Kirk Douglas, Lawrence Olivier, Peter Ustinov and Tony Curtis heading the cast it was always odds on to be a winner as far as film making goes. Stanley Kubrick directed.
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

Thanks
    lol geez, all thats too complicated for me hahaha, ill probly understand that if i were to watch the movie, im gonna try to rent it but if i cant i still have all the stuff you wrote

thanx man

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks
    Examining the film on it's own isn't easy as it covers a small but particularly chaotic period of history where a number of powerful, ruthless and strong characters were vying for absolute power over what was basically the known world. into this mix Spartacus was thrown. His was just one of a number of slave revolts. These were normally relatively short, disorganised but bloody local affairs. The difference being in that he organised his people, it became a widespread revolt, defeated a number of consular legions and threatened the infastructure on which Rome was based.

Added to this is the enigma of Spartacus. No one, other than his confederates, knew what he looked like. Not least the Roman authorities that wanted to bring him to heel. Giving rise to the 'I am Spartacus' 'No, I am Spartacus' dialogue in the film. Most likely he died on the battlefield with most of his followers, which is the most likely and most commonly held belief. Either that or he was crucified along the Appian way with the remainder of the revolt. Almost nothing is known about him. It is believed he was a Thracian who served as an auxiliary in the Roman army before deserting and subsequently sold into slavery after recapture. As a slave he ended up at the gladiator school of Biatius, who was a real person played by Peter Ustinov in the film, outside Capua.

Crassus went on to war against the Parthians which he lost. In an artistic aside the Parthians cut off his head and poured molton gold into his mouth to symbolise his greed. Pompey ended up in a civil war against Ceasar and after defeat in battle, was murdered as he came ashore in Egypt seeking asylum. Ceasar we know became dictator and was in turn murdered in the senate. Ironically at the foot of Pompey's statue.

To understand the film in terms of plot, setting and characters, you'll have to dive into Roman history. Which is often more entertaining than the fiction of film so not such a chore. I think Roman politicians are so much more colourful than our own.
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

Thread Information