Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faluja House to House

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks

Faluja House to House

just watching this on bbc2 as reporters follow the Americans round faluja, doing house to house raids and fighting in the streets. Its fair to say the americans are not the surgical fighting force they make out to be...more like force by numbers. BUT that said its fairly gripping stuff!
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    Yea i've noticed in all the news footage that when filmed the troops seem to lose all sense of urban fighting and seem to run down the middle of the street...

Thanks
    yes I noticed that too...
    "hey guys, lets run down the middle of the street in a big group, they'll never see us in our camo-gear"...

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks
    Having trained at fighting in built up areas (FIBUA) for 2 years in Berlin. This was before the wall came down. I can tell you that it is the dirtiest and most brutal and confusing form of warfare that an individual soldier can get involved in. I also noticed that the Americans had a much more standoffish approach to the subject than we did. In fact they hated exercising against the British troops as we were much more brutal about it even in training.

It's not a surgical way of fighting and is a catalogue of dirty tricks. The yanks are actually not doing a bad job and their casualty figures show this. They have gone through the city in a very short time. As far as I have seen civilian casualties have been kept to a minimum. FIBUA is a very labour intensive exercise and sucks in large amounts of troops into a very small area. We worked on an average 50% casualties on any assault against Warsaw pact troops in an urban environment. That's assuming a successful assault. A small apartment block would be considered a company sized objective.
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

Thanks
    wow, cheers for that insight. I know just by watching what the americans you can see they are pretty hyped-up [scared?] and quite jumpy. maybe they'd need to take a few lessons from the GB troops on urban combat. I know I'd get quite an adrenaline rush from house to house stuff, not knowing exactly what you'd get. Its also fascinating to see taht only a handful of iraqis can pin down a squad of troops - regardless of them running up and down the middle of a street.

Thanks
    FIBUA isnt America's way of doing things, they'd rather just level the place with artillery...

Thanks
    As said above fighting in built up areas is a nightmare for any army, to get one/two well defended people takes masses of manpower/effort

iMc
    Thanks
    Sorry for my ignorance but what does FIBUA stand for? I guess the last bit is Urban Assault?
    HEXUS|iMc

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy
    As said above fighting in built up areas is a nightmare for any army, to get one/two well defended people takes masses of manpower/effort
    Exactly, plus you are dealing with an unseen enemy that will pretend to be an innocent civilian one second and then pick up a rifle when your back is turned.

Not nice at all.

Thanks
    FIBUA = fighting in built up areas

i guess...:S
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

iMc
    Thanks
    oh right cheers.
    HEXUS|iMc

Kensey66 - XBL
    Thanks
    • Sk!mD4Rk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E WS Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q9450
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 1tb raid0, 1tb external
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870
      • PSU:
      • Antec truepower 580
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del 2407
      • Internet:
      • 2mb plusnet
    The terrorists (insurgents, lol) know Faluja well, whereas the yanks do not. Taking that into consideration i'm amazed that there isn't more casualties than there allready is.

I hesitate to call them insurgents because i don't think they're driven by the desire for freedom or independence. I believe they just want to cause as much pain and suffering as possible and have no interest in a modern day Iraqi government/leadership. I'd refer to them as anarchists with such a bitter loathing of western/European lifestyle/beliefs.

It was indeed compulsive viewing and who would want to be in there shoes. Hats off to the film crew as well because as we know they are just as much a valid target as the soldiers with recent happenings.

Thanks
    true true...quite shocking pictures when they show a soldier hit in the leg with a severed artery, or even a few dead 'insurgents' scattered about within the rubble [due to heavy weapons fire. utterly mad.
    mind you the yanks were acting like a bunch of cowboys at a paintball range.