• Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Re: The Iraqi Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    The issue is that Tony Blair introduced funding for religious segregated schools. It is suggested (see the 'trojan' scandal) that they pay lip service to the national curriculum, whilst putting forward their agenda.
    Just as an aside, Tony Blair did not introduce funding for faith schools, he increased it. Religious schools, overwhelmingly previous to Blair had been mostly Christian in the UK and had, since 1944, been under state control to varying degrees with most, aside from private and/or independent ones, had been given different levels of state funding, depending on whether they were aided or controlled. Blair just extended this principle to schools of other faiths.

2. Received thanks from:

TheAnimus (21-08-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    Did you mean gassed?

I've got images of drunken Brits steaming off a plane, neckless bottles in hand, going 'right then, who wants some?'

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1227030678878

no nuked - turn all the ground into glass by massive nuclear bombardment , nothing lives in 1000 x 1000 square mile area, not even bacteria
    Last edited by HalloweenJack; 22-08-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

I see. I prefer my method though.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
    not even bacteria
    I find that hard to believe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I find that hard to believe

ok well in `reality` bacteria would survive , as would certain types of fruit fly and wasp.... but you get the general `nuke em till they glow they shoot them in the dark` idea

OilSheikh

All these Muslim Britons in ISIS give my kind a bad name in our country. They are not even Syrian or Iraqi for the love of God, what are they doing there ? Looking at their surnames, they have Pakistani roots, and I do remember mentioning here ages ago that Pakistanis are very extreme in their religious views, hence all the honour killings, 7/7 and Extremist Muslim independent schools

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Regarding state schools then that's what the inspectors should be catching. I thought the place you were talking about was a private school.
    The issue mostly is the environment, if all the children are told by their parents that we were sneezed into existence, they will fear the coming of the great handkerchief!

Of course, which is why it's abused by various organisations by their own ends. But it's far from the only thing which is abused so.

As with the point below, I think you're making the mistake of judging all religion by the actions of one/a sub-branch. In the religions I personally know about, critical questioning is not only allowed, it's actively encouraged and more or less mandatory to being able to read the scriptures. On the contrary it is usually people outside of the religion that are taking what they read and not applying any critical reasoning behind what they think it says. If you hadn't guessed, it quite annoys me when otherwise intelligent people do that
    It's more about the process of building cognitive dissidence. The fact that you have be willing to believe, believe things that have no evidence. Many are told to believe that morals come from rules than justifiable principles, we should eat meat, because the book says so, except for these meats. We know from the classic Milibram experiments, people love to defer their thinking. An authority figure. Religious provided morals, religion provided views of the world are bound to be less accurate than evidence based, they differ. Slavery, Rape, Homosexuality. These all have religious solutions, the old testament has what most of us would consider unreasonable.

It becomes the mindset, do you have science, or miracles. This isn't to say that scientific people aren't blinded by stubbornness, lack of critical reason, heck the refusal to believe Newtonian Model limitations set us back far.

But there's a logical flaw in those statements - you are assuming that what applies in one religion (and one version of it at that) must therefore apply to all. That's provably not the case. You can't say "religion demands a specific kind of mind set, which can never truly accept other people's views that differ" when there are religions which preach acceptance of other people's views that differ.
    To me, that is what the definition of religion is. If it's reasoned, it's evidence based, and stops being religion at that very moment.

Find a conflict that is between Atheist / Agnostic people. That isn't to say people won't do stupid things, people all the time try to use statistics, policies to act out desires and blind themselves to reality, it's a human trait.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by opel80uk View Post
    Just as an aside, Tony Blair did not introduce funding for faith schools, he increased it. Religious schools, overwhelmingly previous to Blair had been mostly Christian in the UK and had, since 1944, been under state control to varying degrees with most, aside from private and/or independent ones, had been given different levels of state funding, depending on whether they were aided or controlled. Blair just extended this principle to schools of other faiths.
    I did not know that, I was under the impression they were charity funded only.

Yet another reason Tony was our worst PM in recent times.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

The issue mostly is the environment, if all the children are told by their parents that we were sneezed into existence, they will fear the coming of the great handkerchief!
    Well yes, the effects of bad parenting are felt across all sectors, not just religious. Not a huge amount we can do about that other than try to educate the parents as well!

It's more about the process of building cognitive dissidence. The fact that you have be willing to believe, believe things that have no evidence.
    In the definition of what 'faith' is, that's true. The burden of evidence is not high enough in most cases for people to have no alternative but to say it's factual (and not belief). But on the flipside, belief plays a very important role in how we actually live too - if were we to only do things based on a scientifically rigorous evidence level we couldn't make it through the day. We don't actually do things in most cases because we've assessed the evidence; we act, and get out of bed in the belief that the floor is still there and so on (a trivial, but logically true example). Belief is our threshold of causality.

What's more, discounting something because of the absence of evidence is not very satisfactory either. Scientifically at best we should merely not make decisive comment on it, but to rule out something that is untestable is not truly rational.

It becomes the mindset, do you have science, or miracles.
    Why either/or? Science can only explain the observable physical world. It's very narrow-minded to think that that's all there could be- personally I think there's still room for philosophy, arts etc. etc. but I accept that others prefer to keep to only what they can explain.

To me, that is what the definition of religion is. If it's reasoned, it's evidence based, and stops being religion at that very moment.
    Reasoned and evidence-based are two different things. The religions I'm familiar with are very much reasoned. Being undoubtably evidence based would actually remove much of the reasoning required. However you might also say that there is at least some kind of historical evidence - not really I guess in terms of proof that what this Jesus person said is true, but it's likely that he did exist and said something similar to what is recorded. Whether you believe him or not is another matter of course.

However to say that religion by definition requires an absence of acceptance of other people's views is something I can't agree with at all. Many religions preach acceptance, from Christianity to Buddhism and Sikhism. Not just acceptance either, but full on welcoming and sisterhood etc.

That isn't to say people won't do stupid things, people all the time try to use statistics, policies to act out desires and blind themselves to reality, it's a human trait.
    That was my point Now the question is, how do we address it in the case of IS and other extremists (be that religious, political, sectarian or otherwise)? The fact that the majority of the religions don't act in this way rules out base religion as the cause, so something else must be.

Thanks

Dutch Official says Islamic State is a Zionist plan.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Ne...9#.U_dlOWOcDDc
    http://upww.us/vinienco/category/europe/netherlands/

It's not the first time, youtube has many videos claiming Wahhabism in general is a Zionist plan. But Wahhabism is purely a Saudi plan, to make people hate everyone that's not a strict Sunni Muslim. I think US is allied to the House of Saud only, and not the Saudi Arabia as a country. I'm sure if Islamic State are successful in Iraq, the the House of Saud will be claiming asylum somewhere in the west.

And what about, Boko Haram, Al Shabaab, Al Qaeda ect. are they all funded by UK, USA and Israel? I suppose Hitler was sponsored by Zionists too, heck he was probably a direct decedent of Noah. These conspiracy theories are absolute rubbish.

I remember thinking at the European elections when UKIP did so well, that this is not necessarily an anti EU / anti EU immigration vote, but just as likely an anti-Islamic immigration vote. One thing is for sure, Islamic State will have boosted Nigel Farage's ratings yet again.

OilSheikh

Yet another reason Tony was our worst PM in recent times.
    And let's not forget the Euro mess he created. He claimed only 13,000 Polish would come and we don't need to have immigration controls like France or Germany.
    Now, half of the country is full of East Europeans and they rank higher in numbers than Africans or Asians. I don't care if the stats say otherwis,e it's from my observations.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    And let's not forget the Euro mess he created. He claimed only 13,000 Polish would come and we don't need to have immigration controls like France or Germany.
    Now, half of the country is full of East Europeans and they rank higher in numbers than Africans or Asians. I don't care if the stats say otherwis,e it's from my observations.
    Poland has been in the Schengen for 10 years, so there are no controls on them in France or Germany since 2004.

The Polish people are very welcome to come here, and last time i was in Warsaw It felt just like any other EU capitol. A nice laid back city with nice people. No beheadings or suicide bombers, from within the Polish community. We should have that as a prerequisite condition for any non EU immigrant.

Seriously don't start your prejudice on the Polish.

-----------------------------------------------

27 Interesting maps regarding Iraq and the IS crisis
    http://www.vox.com/a/maps-explain-crisis-iraq

I think the social and economic conditions are a lot to do with the radicalisation of many in the UK. I mean the low paid or unemployed young males are likely to be angry in the UK, and IS are an outlet for that. Maybe if society was fairer here then less young people would not be so quick to want to join an ideology that's anti-west. Not the whole problem but definitely an issue, especially when you consider how many are supposedly recruited in prison to ISIS
    Last edited by j1979; 22-08-2014 at 11:12 PM.

14. Received thanks from:

kalniel (23-08-2014),Noxvayl (24-08-2014)

Thanks

UN calling for 'action' to prevent a possible massacre of Shia in Amerli, a northern Iraqi town, which has been under siege by IS for two months.

"Sundus Abbas is the UK representative of the Iraqi Turkmen Front, a political party which represents the community.

She is campaigning desperately to get the West's forces to intervene in Amerli as they did in Mount Sinjar.

"Amerli has been under siege for two months now," she says. "How long do we have to wait? How much suffering must we see and how many children have to die before the international community realises that the people of this town need help urgently and they have to help them? We have been completely forgotten.""

More details here.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity

So you have observed hundreds of thousands, maybe a million Polish people? And not confused them with other eastern European folk like Lithuanians and Romanians? And compared them to approximately 10 million other minorities living in the UK?

Polish people are great by the way, I prefer having liberal intelligent people migrate to the UK, the more the merrier.

Thanks

I don't care if the stats say otherwis,e it's from my observations.
    This ladies and gentlemen, is a demonstration of how in a democracy, we can't have nice things.

Registered+
    Thanks

I think the Polish (and other E.European) immigrants, are fine, they have a similar culture to us. I think muslims who want to live the British way of life, from their own perspective, are fine. I don't think IS brutality, and propaganda is good politically for the current Islamic States. They need to control their more radical elements abroad ;Iraq, Nigeria, Afghanistan,etc. The West shoudn't have to deal with every fanatic extremist. Especially when it's thousands of miles away.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information