Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A day in the life of David

DR
    Thanks

A day in the life of David

I get a few emails asking me what I actually do - well my main rolel is to control the running of the company, Paul deals with commercial aspects as well but overlaps with my role a lot. I also deal with sample allocation currently.

Most of you seem to think I get up in the morning, jump in my porsche and pop to the shops - then back again for a day of being able to do what I like. Well this isn't exactly true - for one I don't own a porsche.
    Normally I wake up fairly early, the first thing I do is pick up my mail - and check my phone for SMS or Voicemail (normally a few to deal with.)

Then I get some coffee inside me and work out roughly what I have to do that day - normally I have about 200 emails to deal with on average. I then Check with Tarinder, Rys, and Andy to check all is ok and find out about what samples we need to get in.

Once I have done this I often speak to the PR companies to let them know what we are working on, and what we are planning to do; this can tie in with returning kit to them or whatever.

I then spend about an hour or so on the forums checking posts, speaking to the mods - in this time I will probably speak to Zak33 to make sure all is ok with the forums and if there is anything which I need to do.

I also am on MSN all day (most of the time) unless I am out and about.

My day continues - I don't normally stop for lunch, and I will work through - music or the TV on, I will sign for some parcels and work out what to do with them - forward them or return them. Or sometimes keep them.

I will work until about 6pm ish when I stop - and attempt to stop for the day, but throughout the evening I will be on the phone to companies, and checking emails - normally finishing about midnight. Often I can be speaking to companies over the other side of the planet, or Paul until the early hours of the morning.

This is a typical day (without events to organise, and other things) If I am travelling or something, I will make sure I check my mail a few times a day either on my laptop or via my phone.

If I have a meeting in London - I normally leave a couple of hours before hand, and make sure I get there on time. On return I normally spend time checking emails and other things.

Sure there are days when I can take time off to do things, and I work really flexible hours. But it isn't the always the glamour which you guys think it is.

Anyway, where did I leave the Ferrari's keys...

Thanks
    • Theo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Wifi deluxe
      • CPU:
      • E6600 @ 3150Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB OCZ 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x80GB Maxtor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 640MB 8800GT
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS M221u
      • Internet:
      • Be Value
    That's very interesting to know, actually. It's not that far off from what I do. Here's the edited version of my day:

Normally I wake up at any time during the day/night, the first thing I do is pick myself up from the gutter - and check to see that I'm wearing clothes.

Then I get some coffee inside me and work out roughly where I am. I then spend about an hour or so wandering around in a daze.

This is a typical day, my phone was stolen the night/day before, so I can't ring for help.

If I find myself in London - I normally leave as soon as possible, and make sure I get out of there ASAP.

On my return home, I usually shower, eat and prepare myself for the next day.

Anyway, where did I leave the house keys...
    Sorry

But honestly, that was a very interesting read. I hadn't realised that there was quite so much work to do for a news website. Perhaps how hard you work reflects on how successful the big H has become.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Good lord, such dedication

Hexus wouldn't be what it is without you
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    My day....

Get up, fag, tea, shower, work (fags and coffee interpsersed with talking to customers, but mainly fags and coffee)... home, food, fag, tea... play games until the small hours, fag... bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Mine:

Get up, cup of tea, surf intarweb for hour or two, get dressed, surf/game some more. Then lunch. Then more. Then dinner. THen more, and perhaps watch TV if there's something on. Then bed.

That's a typical boring day for me

Insert other things like seeing friends, college, work etc as applicable
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    Interesting stuff

Nice to know about a life in the day of Big D

Large Member
    Thanks
    Ohh David runs this place does he? Well I never, very nice it is too might I say.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    A day in the life of Kez:

Get up - check on HEXUS, deal with any new reviews that need my immediate attention, otherwise head out to college. Depending on my schedule I come home at lunch and either chill for half an hour or do a bit of HEXUS/College stuff. Late afternoon I get back again from college to do a bit more HEXUS news/reviews related stuff. I browse the forums a bit, play some games if I have time, finish up with a news roundup usually, and then off to watch TV I go.

Nice to see everybody listing their healthy social lives... hehe.

I like it when David rings me because you can hear in the way he talks just how busy he is. Makes understanding him tough though. I take in half of what he tells me and guess the rest... we get by that way

edit: Oh and as for e-mails. I'm sure I don't get as many as David, especially ones that need responses as such, but if I'm away for even 1 day - my inbox feels the pain!
    Last edited by Steve; 24-12-2004 at 09:03 PM.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Get up at 12, spend about 2 hours showering, walking around in a daze, CD playing playing something (Razorlight - Up All Night was this morning's choice). Have lunch around half 2, watch some films. Go out and meet with friends, come back and play Sven Co-op until half 2 in the morning.

Or when I'm not on Christmas break:

Get up at 6:45 , shave, shower, breakfast, check email and make sure Rio Karma is synched with PC. Out the door by 7:40. Get bus at 7:50 into St. Albans to start a day in the last year of the 6th form. Finished by 4, home by 5 normally. Check email again, reply etc. Grab a bite to eat at about half 6, then do any work that needs doing. Normally done by 9, then it's TV/dossing around for a bit, try to get to sleep before 12 cause I feel the pain with anything much less than 7 hours sleep.

And er, that's about it. Except for sundays where I roll into work in time for an 11AM start, and Thursday where I'm at work until 8.

Thanks
    I wished my job was as interesting, just he same old routine every day. My job isn't exactly rocket science, I think even a trained chimp could do my job, then I could spend the day doing something useful.
    Bored of the old one, new one coming soon

Thanks
    David...

Would you give it all up (or a large chunk of it) or pass it on to someone else so you could start a family?

(This question is based on the fact that I don't know if you have a family or not!)

DR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead_Head
    David...

Would you give it all up (or a large chunk of it) or pass it on to someone else so you could start a family?

(This question is based on the fact that I don't know if you have a family or not!)

I still have time for a life, the only thing which would get in the way is all the travel (I have been to the states 7 times this year, Germany twice and numerous other places)

Thanks
    Yes very interesting David. My brother (mblaster) gave me a link to this thread said it was interesting and it is so I thought I would make my own contribution!

I get up usually quite early in the morning - I like to make the most of my day! - I sometimes go grab a bit of breakfast, though not often, I will switch on my PC and check Master Gaming out, looking for any news/reviews submissions that I need to impose my editorial role on. Then I will check other websites that I need to check on a daily bases .. press sites etc.

I will check my email for anything new, usually about 10-15 new messages, some from PR companies or from subscriptions. I will then update my website accordingly. As it nears mid-day, I will look through the days snail-mail to see if there is any games for me to either shoot off to one of the reviewers or review myself if I choose, and other things that might be of my interest in the mail.

Then from this time onwards it or depends on the previous events really but I will either start playing this new game, play a game I havn't reviewed yet ... continue/start writing a review, continue doing general website maintenance for MG or just play some of my favo game, Unreal (one!!).

Hope you found it interesting, as I did David's!

----------
    Michael Campbell
    Chief Editor
    Master Gaming

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    I still have time for a life, the only thing which would get in the way is all the travel (I have been to the states 7 times this year, Germany twice and numerous other places)
    Can you say jet lag!!

It's good that you can still enjoy your life and own a successful company

Thanks
    I totally agree with theo. Didn't realized it either David, I'm glad you're so good..it's thanks to you that this site is so nice!

- Moon
    Love, Peace and Linux

DR
    Thanks
    ... it is far from me doing this on my own - I have an awesome team of people who I work with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information