Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Word of warning of cloning

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks

Word of warning of cloning

just a quick word of warning to everyone. My switch card got cloned when I paid for my petrol in a tesco's petrol station over christmas and then used for just under £1000

So i suggest you all keep a good eye on your balances as cloning is not something that just happens at cash points etc.

In a place called VERTIGO CrapshoT's Avatar
    Thanks
    That stinks m8.I hope you can get some sort of compen for a loss that large.Lately I have been wary of cash machines because of this cloning lark.Thats the only place I use my card.My wife is another story tho.She pays for just about evrything with her card.We don't drive so petrol stations aren't a worry.Hope you get this sorted out quick m8.
    Farts are like children.....You always love you're Own.!!!
    Wise Men learn from Other people's mistake's...Fool's learn from their OWN.!!!

Thanks
    This concerns me about using a debit card. With a credit card i suppose u can do a charge back on any putchases which you didnt make.

Chip and PIN is helpful but i disagree with the payment PIN number being the same as the ATM/Cashcard PIN.

Thanks for the heads up, hope your bank sorted it all out.

Thanks
    how do you know it ea Tesco mate ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • piggeh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS AiLife IP35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 (5-4-4-18)
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900 Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" SM2494HS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Cable
    Heh - the advantages of only having a cash card I guess, is that it cant happen to me

(shame I cant buy online, get cashback, do anything anyone else can, etc. though)

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent
    how do you know it ea Tesco mate ?
    because around 50 - 100 people in my town had it done and the clones spent the money all in the same places.

so much so that the banks caught onto the fact and started declining large payments in the area.. everyone who had it done had bought petrol at this petrol station.

if the cloners had spread them around the country they probably would have had more chance of getting away with alot more....and people who arnt aware yet and dont have statements till the end of the month are proabably still getting stolen from. but i check my online statement everyday.

Thanks
    You get scammed a lot dont you... so what did happen with ebay then?

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks
    i dont get scammed i loose money to fraud. i lost the £100 as paypal refunded

Thanks
    TBH this is the bank's problem. They can't make you pay for people cloning your card if you've just handed it over to pay in a reputable place like a Tescos. If the banks can't devise a system to make sure that people can't use fake cards, then it's the bank's fault.

Hopefully chip-and-pin will sort this problem to a large extent. Still, I'm amazed that they were able to spend so much money that the banks caught on and stopped large payments; couldn't any of the shop staff in your area spot that the cards were fake? I caught three in my time in retail, at £50 reward each they were a nice little earner!

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    Hopefully chip-and-pin will sort this problem to a large extent.
    I think it could aggravate the situation more in some cases.
    There is one major flaw with chip + pin: how do you know that the system that your punching your numbers in is even linked to the bank in anyway?
    Heck, I could knock up a keypad that records what numbers were pressed on it.

What makes it bad is that there is so many models of the chip and pin handset, you can’t tell just by looking at one. How easy would it be to put some circuitry in there that records every pin entered? few meg of flash ram would store thousands of numbers.
    Just wait for a customer to come up with a small purchase amount, pull the “cloned” chip and pin device out, print off a face receipt and your done.
    Okay, so its not going to happen in the big high-street chains, but your local corner-shop might not think twice.

You wouldnt even need to goto all that trouble. A well placed security camera would do the job good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    If you're a crooked retailer looking to benefit from chip-and-pin, then you're basically prepared to sacrifice the payment you would have received for goods or services rendered by substituting a fake chip-and-pin machine for one that can actually collect payment. Would it be fairly easy to hack together a fake chip and pin machine that could recover both the the card number and the pin and store it for later retrieval? Sure. Would it be easy to get away with more than 3 or 4 frauds as a result, without the location of the dodgy machine being found out? Unlikely.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent
    I think it could aggravate the situation more in some cases.
    There is one major flaw with chip + pin: how do you know that the system that your punching your numbers in is even linked to the bank in anyway?
    Heck, I could knock up a keypad that records what numbers were pressed on it.

What makes it bad is that there is so many models of the chip and pin handset, you can’t tell just by looking at one. How easy would it be to put some circuitry in there that records every pin entered? few meg of flash ram would store thousands of numbers.
    Just wait for a customer to come up with a small purchase amount, pull the “cloned” chip and pin device out, print off a face receipt and your done.
    Okay, so its not going to happen in the big high-street chains, but your local corner-shop might not think twice.

You wouldnt even need to goto all that trouble. A well placed security camera would do the job good enough.

This is similar to what happened last year at a HSBC bank ATM in Cardiff Bay. Some Eastern European underground group installed a fake facia onto the ATM, so that any card that was put in, it read all its details and recorded the PIN the person entered.

ERU
    Thanks
    Goodluck to gettig it back mate :/

iMc
    Thanks
    I thought Chip n pin was a good idea until I went shopping the other day and had to use it in almost every shop I paid via card. Then I realised Agents fears with the fact that it could be linked to anywhere.

A different security measure needs to be thought of because I can see this new method causing a lot of trouble in the future.
    HEXUS|iMc

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    If you're a crooked retailer looking to benefit from chip-and-pin, then you're basically prepared to sacrifice the payment you would have received for goods or services rendered by substituting a fake chip-and-pin machine for one that can actually collect payment.
    Whats stopping a retailer from modifying a perfectly working one, or making/buying one that simlay does both ?

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb
    It would be helpful if you could post the location of Tesco's branch to stop other's from becoming victims too.

If the criminal employees have got to that branch there's a very high likely hood that they will be operating in other petrol stations & outlets in the area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information