Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you get a foot hold in life?

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    if it helps i'm going to be looking to buy my first house...when I'm 63...!
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    The way things are going, renting is the only option open to most people. Tis a ridiculous state of affairs that the average man can't afford the average house...

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    House prices have gone absolutely nuts in the past 5/6 years. Me & the mrs purchased out house in '99 for 52k. We wanted Colchester, but we found the same size house (3 Bed Semi) a bit out of town in Brantham for 10k less so we said 'what the hell' & bought it. This week, the house opposite which is a mirror image of ours is selling for £178k. thats an increase of approx 342.5%

Now how the hell are my kids going to afford a foothold on the property ladder when they're old enough? I mean, reletively speaking, the eldest is nearly 13 so not that long. It's just fundamenally wrong.

The only other option is that we change our tradition of home owning & renting becomes the norm.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants
    The stupid thing being that the rents that you pay are about the same as a mortgage anyway, it's just you can't get anyone to lend the money.
    I've got another year and a half before i need to look into things more closely, but it's not going to be fun. (i hope that the house prices come down before then)
    but being priced out of 92% of the country, having close to £16k in debt at 23 and maybe not even a state pension when i retire is making this generation seem like it's been ripped off right royally. (Expletive deleted Labour)

iMc
    Thanks
    I think renting is the norm at least for the people I know. I don't think I know anyone under the age of 30 who owns a house, not because they dont want to, because it is impossible to afford. Really makes me worry seeing as I only have 18 months of Uni left then I need to start paying proper rent.
    HEXUS|iMc

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    I agree w/0iD; it looks as though the market may be levelling off, but I honestly think there's got to be some sort of controls put on the amount that mortgage lenders can lend. Sure, the ability to get a mortgage for 6 times your salary or whatever might get your toe on the ladder, but the net effect of that is that prices rise to accomodate the additional purchasing power, and salaries are NOT keeping pace with that. We bought ours for £65k a few years ago. It's got to be worth more than double that now, and Preston prices are still behind the national average. I'm not opposed to the idea of renting becoming the norm, but that still doesn't help if, in order to cover the mortgage on the rented property, the owner has to put the rent sky-high too.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai
    ...but being priced out of 92% of the country, having close to £16k in debt at 23 and maybe not even a state pension when i retire is making this generation seem like it's been ripped off right royally. (Expletive deleted Labour)
    I'd point the finger at the government that forced the sell-off of vast tracts of affordable council housing and made it illegal for councils to reinvest the proceeds back into additional housing stocks, myself. I'm not opposed to the right-to-buy, but forbidding the construction of more homes from the proceeds was one of the stupidest most short-sighted ideologically motivated cock-ups in living memory.

edit: ...aside from railway privatisation.

Thanks
    ....and Labour's various PFI schemes. Anyway, it looks as if the government is finally starting to take the problem seriously according to the news over the weekend, although who will qualify for one of the new cheap houses built on government owned land I'm not sure. I hope it's not just idle posturing, because I would also like to be able to buy a house before I'm 50.

Rich :¬)

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    Labour has f*ed this country up nicely, robbed us blind, taken us to a needless war - still robbing us blind for funding said war, pushing 'education, education education' cause they know it keeps people off the job market (therefore unemployment SEEMS low but its in fact quite high), robbing students blind (because of education and the 'Need' to go to university) and running everyone into a debt they can't possibly repay...let alone start a life once they've finished their precious 'education'.
    *two fingers...and perhaps two more*

lets summarise this into a few short words:
    Get out Labour, you're wasting our money and lives with pointless ventures with little gains and huge losses.