• Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Re: Boris is Boss

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Final option is no Brexit, and that, of course, is what the EU really want but it flies in the face of a referendum result and the manifesto positions of both major parties at the last election. It would also bugely undermine any remaining faith in the notion that this is any form of democracy and while the referendum may not have been legally binding, it was one that the official, well-publicised and official government position was that the result will be implemented. No if's, no but's, they WILL implement the result.
    Technically, the withdrawal deal that's agreed would be a version of Brexit (might not be your idea of Brexit, but it is a Brexit) and the Government has attempted to deliver it. Here's the rub though - The Government were not, given we have a Parliamentary Democracy, ever in a position to guarantee that it would be implemented. The best they could hope for was to try and get it through.

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 3200Mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 m.2 480Gb / 2xCrucial M500 1Tb0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • CM NR400 Noctua Redux filled
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p Iiyama XUB2792QSU

Well, we do have a party system, and party leaders are elected (at least sonetimes) by party members. We, the people, never directly elect the PM, even if we docgave a GE.

As for the 150k, remind me again, when Labour in-fighting and back-stabbing forced 3-time winner Blair out, how many voted for Brown as leader ..... and therefore PM?

And yes, it's a minority government. But it has more of a mandate than a Corbyn-led Labour, who couldn't get a majority even with a tory party in turmoil and disarray in the afterwash of Cameron's referendum result and a disastrous May-led GE campaign.
    Oh I know how it works, it's just not inspirational.

As for Corbyn, don't get me started. That fence sitter couldn't even take advantage of a Tory party that's been imploding as the 40 year infighting over being in the EU has come to a head and dragged us all with it.

And we all know what that result would was ... even if a couple of percent short of half voted the other way. So is that "democracy" now? Ignore the majority because the minority don't like it?

Inspirational.
    I could quote Farage from before the result: "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it".

Let's look at another Democratic country that has a lot of referenda, Switzerland. They've rerun a referendum because "incomplete" information was given to the electorate and this in turn "violated the freedom of the vote".

Considering nobody was advocating a no deal in the Leave campaign, don't you think it's the democratic thing to do to ask them if that's what they want?
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

And we all know what that result would was ... even if a couple of percent short of half voted the other way. So is that "democracy" now? Ignore the majority because the minority don't like it?
    Inspirational.
    I'd also like to take the opportunity to point out that depsite the fact that approx 52% of voters in the referendum voted leave, that was still only 26.5% of the overall population, and 37.5% of the population who were eligable to vote in 2016.

Personally I feel this is forgotten in most conversations surrounding Brexit, and that whilst there can be no arguing of the outcome of the referendum or the promises made beforehand, it's worth remdning people that the vast majority of the population actually don't want brexit, OR don't care enough to voice their opinion in the polling booths.

There is no majority for Brexit and there likely never has been. This of course, doesn't change anything at all, but people in the media or various outlets constantly banging on about a supposed, non existant "majority" for Brexit really winds me up. Probably nearly as much as remainers like me wind up brexiteers

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    I'd also like to take the opportunity to point out that depsite the fact that approx 52% of voters in the referendum voted leave, that was still only 26.5% of the overall population, and 37.5% of the population who were eligable to vote in 2016.

Personally I feel this is forgotten in most conversations surrounding Brexit, and that whilst there can be no arguing of the outcome of the referendum or the promises made beforehand, it's worth remdning people that the vast majority of the population actually don't want brexit, OR don't care enough to voice their opinion in the polling booths.

There is no majority for Brexit and there likely never has been. This of course, doesn't change anything at all, but people in the media or various outlets constantly banging on about a supposed, non existant "majority" for Brexit really winds me up. Probably nearly as much as remainers like me wind up brexiteers
    If people couldn't be bothered to vote, they need to keep quiet now that it's been all done and dusted.
    e.g. I am holding a birthday bash and invite 100 friends and only 30 turn up, do I abandon my party or do I continue with the 30 that came.

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    If people couldn't be bothered to vote, they need to keep quiet now that it's been all done and dusted.
    e.g. I am holding a birthday bash and invite 100 friends and only 30 turn up, do I abandon my party or do I continue with the 30 that came.
    Depends.

If you advertise it as a 'party' and i said i'd come only to find out it was a waterworks and faeces smearing party i would want the option of un-RSVPing.
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

6. Received thanks from:

sammyc (23-07-2019)

Thanks
    • flearider's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asrock taichi x370
      • CPU:
      • ryzen 1700@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16gb gskill flare cl14 3200
      • Storage:
      • 500mb 850 evo + 1tb hd space
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gigabyte r9 290
      • PSU:
      • evga 850
      • Case:
      • LD PC-V8 ATX/HPTX Red 2xtripple 1xquad rads
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • toshiba 32"
      • Internet:
      • 65 d/30 up ee

so general election in 3 months then . and Nigel Farage will be in no 10 ....
    can't wait
    What does it matter now if men believe or no?
    What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
    To murmur in pity that my words were true
    (Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

To see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ....

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):

Quote Originally Posted by flearider View Post
    can't wait
    He'd have to get elected to Parliament first, he's tried and failed so far.

Maybe if he rejoined the Tory party he left in 1992 after we signed the Maastricht Treaty he'd have a shot. He's been moaning about it all ever since.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adidan View Post
    Depends.

If you advertise it as a 'party' and i said i'd come only to find out it was a waterworks and faeces smearing party i would want the option of un-RSVPing.
    How do you adjust the figures up/down to allow for the ones that turned it down, but would have come if they had known.. *

*misses Santa*
    Last edited by sammyc; 23-07-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    Aliorum vitia turbaverunt me

10. Received thanks from:

adidan (24-07-2019)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I think it's more that people felt they were doomed and that their vote would not make any difference either way. Given how self-serving MPs tend to be these days, I wouldn't say their perspective is too far off the mark.
    But then, limiting the number of people who do bother is one suggested tactic of the government anyway - Rather than 45.7 million people, if they only have to sway, 6.1 million people, that's a far easier victory.

Depends... Will there be cake, and have you already paid for the strippers in advance?

Quote Originally Posted by flearider View Post
    can't wait
    Nah, Corbyn will take this one - He's got that renationalisation Trump card...

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Looking forward to lots of vanity projects if he makes it past October.

btw, interesting how all of sudden they have money to throw around and offer tax cuts.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post

It's not just that. They leave side seem to present the 52% as one block despite Boris having one idea of a Brexit, Farage having another, Gove having another, May having another. They are not a united faction, most certainly not all hardcore leave with no deal types either. I think you have a point.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

I find it all a bit funny, to be honest. Boris will be great in promoting Scottish Independence.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

OilSheikh

Funny how you lot are bashing Boris from Day 1 while Tessa did jack all for 3 years.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

He spent a lot of time avoiding debates and questions throughout this whole process. He spread lies (like the kippers incident!) and only took part in highly scripted exchanges. Hardly a positive start?. Not a great quality in a REAL leader.

Maybe he will prove us all wrong but I really, REALLY, doubt it.

PS -I thought Tessa was useless as well. Must be a tory thing...
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

17. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (23-07-2019),Top_gun (23-07-2019)

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    He spent a lot of time avoiding debates and questions throughout this whole process. He spread lies (like the kippers incident!) and only took part in highly scripted exchanges. Hardly a positive start?. Not a great quality in a REAL leader.

Maybe he will prove us all wrong but I really, REALLY, doubt it.

PS -I thought Tessa was useless as well. Must be a tory thing...
    That's his record.

Even as London Mayor he just hid in his office and didn't engage with anyone. As Foreign Secretary, he didn't last 5 minutes. He is a rent-a-gob for millionaires.

19. Received thanks from:

neonplanet40 (23-07-2019),Top_gun (23-07-2019)

Thanks

Official - we've a complete imbecile running the show.

I guess the civil servants and Number 10 communications have to work that much harder to cover his gaffes!

21. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (23-07-2019)

Thread Information