• Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb

Gaming on your CV

I've recently sent a letter to PCGamer, and it's been published in this issue

Here's the letter:
    Dear PCGamer,

Will there ever be a time when “a keen RTS player” will be a welcome addition to ones CV? Don’t laugh. Hear me out.

It is accepted that being a captain of a school football (or any other sports for that matter) team carries certain responsibilities (like organising pub crawls) and will be a welcome addition to a CV. Even being a team member gives one team-working skills. But what about being a leader of a Counter-Strike clan? The endless war arranging, booking of servers for matches, recruitment and training of players, putting together teams for matches and often treasurer duties – all in a days work for a CL. Of course some of these duties may be delegated - a useful skill in its own right. If someone thinks this isn’t a lot of hard work, let me be the first to throw a stone at him.

But what of the games themselves? Even without the educational value of many a historical game we can see many useful skills being sharpened. Resource management (RTS, management sims, even CS), prioritising, working in teams, perseverance, analytical thinking, leadership, teaching (many a MMORPG noob were showed the ropes by a more experienced gamer), etc. Even disregarding 3D awareness, typing and hand to eye coordination we have a large array of skills being honed in gaming.
    Reason I wrote this was that I was preparing my CV and in the bit about hobbies and interests i had to think of stuff i like that isn't games related (and there is enough of it, its just that i do like games too). What if instead of hiding the fact that we play pc games we were able to declare the skills we got there. Not an excuse to submerge into a virtual word, but a right to say proudly that you run a clan or a guild or even moderate a forum.

What do you think?
    Last edited by dkmech; 15-03-2005 at 01:14 AM.
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

Barely posting since 2006 bertie's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bertie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Lenovo Y480
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3610QM
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR1600
      • Storage:
      • 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GT650M
      • PSU:
      • Lappy
      • Case:
      • NA
      • Operating System:
      • W7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405
      • Internet:
      • Australian awful net
    I thought about this a few years ago - it's a nice idea but I realised it ain't really gonna work in the real world :/
    Unless your employer is a CS nut

Thanks
    Perhaps we should start a new generation and introduce it into CV's

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    anyway its not grammatically correct...
    ...many a historical game...
    should be: many an historical game...
    this is because there is a vowel immediately following the 'h' in 'historical', if I am not very much mistaken.

i don't think its a wise move to stick 'I'm a PC gaming nerd' in nice times new roman typeface half-way down the page displaying your worht to your prospective employer. Rather than say what its for [gaming] perhaps just show off by saying you have good IT, leadership and organisational skills and explain - briefly - how you arrange on-line meetings, or 'social events'...?
    or through your years of experience working in IT you've gained considerable depth of understanding on...[insert appropriate descriptions here]...
    Last edited by shiato storm; 15-03-2005 at 03:23 AM.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Loves duck, Peking Duck! bsodmike's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (8-cores) / iMac 2.8GHz C2D Extreme Edition / MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 & 13.3" 2.26 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR2 kits on all systems / FB ECC RAM in Mac Pro
      • Storage:
      • 320GB + 3x 1TB, Mac Pro / 500 GB, iMac / 2x 1TB & 2x 2TB WD My Book Studio II, via FW800 to Mac Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (two dual-link DVI ports / Mac Pro)
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OS X 10.5 (Mac Pro) / Mac OS X 10.4.11 (others)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple 23" Cinema HD / Dell FPW2408 / iMac 24" display
      • Internet:
      • 2mbps ADSL (Mac Pro) / 512kbps WiMax (Wifi/MacBook Pro)
    The h isn't silent tho?

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    still needs an H though.

Its a good idea....if you play team games incude it. I reckon you'd be shocked how many people DO play PC games....just wont admit it

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    Hey, for a foreigner i reckon i am doing alright grammar-wise. An ambiguous "an" is the least of my worries
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    Quote Originally Posted by dkmech
    What if instead of hiding the fact that we play pc games we were able to declare the skills we got there. Not an excuse to submerge into a virtual word, but a right to say proudly that you run a clan or a guild or even moderate a forum.

What do you think?
    I've done this since my second dispatch of my CV

My first job I got straight from uni back in '96 and before I'd gotten into online gaming - but I started playing Ultima Online a year or so later and saw the huge "hidden community" already in existence which I joined.

When I moved to my second job, under "hobbies and interests" I put down Ultima Online as I have heard some interview styles are to pick up on the specifically non-academic and non-work related things you decide to mention and ask you to explain about them, or in some cases have a common interest with the interviewer.

A friend put down his interest in motorbikes and spent most of a 1-hour interview discussing them with the interviewer who was very passionate about them, for example (he got the job too ).

Now I'm in my 3rd job and my CV has mentions of Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Star Wars Galaxies, City of Heroes and World of Warcraft

Not sure it's so much a guaranteed "selling point" so much as experience in the field or qualifications, but useful for interview-fodder and gives the interviewer a chance to flesh out his impression of your character.

It's sometimes the things you don't expect which people pick up on - my first job was first-line tech support and was given to me because I could prove I had knowledge of DOS and batch files, but more importantly (to them) I had a few years experience with customer service in a supermarket so was used to dealing with people.
    (Yes, more important then my Computer Science degree - they weren't bothered what I got as a result so long as it was not a "fail".)
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Not sure its a particualrly good idea to list every single game youve ever played in your CV (unless your going for a job as a profesional gamer), but maybe mentioning you play online games cant do any harm as said above, you never know the interviewer might be a massive game fan and hey presto your getting on like a house on fire.

Butuz

Thanks
    as a tech - it's quite amusing as it increases your "Geek Factor" - I wouldn't list them - merely the sub-types. i.e. RTS, RPG, FPS and Online FPS and MMORPG -
    when the interviewer asks - you can explain the acronyms, and blush while they have a good chuckle.
    I tend to list them in the middle amongst the sports and the more intellectual pursuits. I don't list many of the silly ones - but keep paintball in there for a laugh. It's not often that they read them -
    but certain hobbies and sports stand out - chess and golf as the two main ones.

Thanks
    On the CV i used to apply for my current job i put down that I play computer games, and was asked about this in one of the interviews. I said that computer games were not just entertaining, they can be character building and important for stress relief. Due to the nature of the job i was applying for, the 'relieving stress' bit was picked up on, and i talked quite comfortably for 30 mins with the interviewer about the importance of good stress management
    On your 'to do' list

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyman
    I tend to list them in the middle amongst the sports and the more intellectual pursuits..
    In my spare time, my activities include Chess, Cricket, Swimming, fighting terrorists online, and chairing the local young persons discussion group.

(I do none of the above - used to be a good swimmer though.)
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    ...yes, I frequently play games where I am a murdering theif and I run around robbing old people, stealing cars and driving over people in the process. all in the name of getting up the ladder in a gangster-ridden town. . . erm...!
    or perhaps you envisage yorself on a warm tropical island in the pacific, only to be rudely hurled from your ship and made to blast your way through dozens of nasties - all still on gloriously detailed islands of course...

Quote Originally Posted by bsodmike
    The h isn't silent tho?
    doesn't matter...