Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jamie Oliver

Old boys club member
    Thanks

Jamie Oliver

I think this guy gets a lot of unfair stick and with recent projects has proved that he actually cares about the state of the UK today.

With the 15 project he tried to get kids of the streets (sucessfully) and with the School Dinners project he is trying to stop kids from eating the junk that is put in front of most of them and eat decent food which will help them in a number of ways. From watching the program and the feedback that the teachers give him you can see that the kids who have eaten at least SOME green stuff for the first time in their lives are more attentive, less boisterous, generally happier and hopefully with less medical conditions later in life.

Personally i think the guy deserves a Knighthood for everything he is currently trying to do. He was on the Parkinson TVshow tonight asking people to sign his petition that he is taking to Tony Blair next week to try and get rid of the rubbish food that is served in current school canteens. I for one will be adding my name to the list!

If you are interested in participating in the petition please go to http://www.feedmebetter.com/ for further details.

Andy

*End of Rant....*

Thanks
    I commend his efforts on this whole school dinners thing, but I STILL find him annoying.

Old boys club member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skuzgib
    I commend his efforts on this whole school dinners thing, but I STILL find him annoying.

iMc
    Thanks
    I've always like him. Seems like a genuine sorta blokey.
    HEXUS|iMc

Thanks
    Personally i think the guy deserves a Knighthood for everything he is currently trying to do
    He is getting paid though, its difficult to judge whether he is that genuine or he gets carried away by his own ego, I'm not gonna judge him coz I dont know the bloke but it is a bit suspicious seeing as he is making an absolute fortune out of "ooking like hes "being a good samaratan". Do you know what I mean?
    Athlon 3500+ | 1Gb Ram
    ATI X800 XT PE | Blackgold TV Card
    Raptor 74Gb OS/Games | 200Gb Storage
    Samsung 21inch TFT | Freecom16x DVD/RW

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    i thinki hes out to do good. he risks his own marrage often enough. i reckon hes a genuinely top bloke
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiato storm
    i thinki hes out to do good. he risks his own marrage often enough. i reckon hes a genuinely top bloke
    Do you think his wife shares this view?
    Athlon 3500+ | 1Gb Ram

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    Quote Originally Posted by tom deloford
    He is getting paid though, its difficult to judge whether he is that genuine or he gets carried away by his own ego, I'm not gonna judge him coz I dont know the bloke but it is a bit suspicious seeing as he is making an absolute fortune out of "ooking like hes "being a good samaratan". Do you know what I mean?
    mmmmmn...... no. I think if you see the last programme in the series where he breaks down on camera and seeks solace in the walk in freezer/pantry you would change your mind. btw how exactly is he making an absolute fortune by "being a good samaritan"? Me thinks someone hasn't watched the series. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, I thought JO was a breath of fresh air when he started but after a while the mockney g*t simply annoyed me (over exposure?) especially his speech impediment. Anyone with his cash should be able to get that fixed, eh?

However, after watching JO's school dinners I respect and admire the bloke tbh. I do think he is genuine and hopefully he will change things for the better. Good luck to him. I did sign his petition before I saw this thread. Channel4 have a forum where you can comment here

http://community.channel4.com/eve/ub...m/f/4890059651
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks
    mmmmmn...... no. I think if you see the last programme in the series where he breaks down on camera and seeks solace in the walk in freezer/pantry you would change your mind. btw how exactly is he making an absolute fortune by "being a good samaritan"? Me thinks someone hasn't watched the series. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yes youre wrong. Me thinks someone is all sucked in by it.. check out this quote from bbc news story about the british rich list:

Jamie Oliver, 29, who took a City & Guilds NVQ in Home Economics, is the youngest on the list and doubled his financial value from £10m last year.

hopefully he will change things for the better
    Yea and Im hoping for world peace and free love (especially the free love)

As I said before I do not want to judge him coz I don't know him even if I have seen him breaking down on tv. It is possible that is all part of an act to make money though, and you shouldnt decide based on watching a few tv programs.

Anyway I dont really care, good luck to him, in fact I hope its all a big cockney mockney good samaratin act and hes really an astute business-man caching in on a slighly needy and gullible mass of "people" slumped moronically on their couch saying stuff like "yea - hes right you know, school food is rubbish!" as they tuck into their microwave shepards pie from asda. Lol

Ps iranu thats a class name. Nice one. I take it thats from Shooting Stars?
    Last edited by tom deloford; 20-03-2005 at 03:44 AM.
    Athlon 3500+ | 1Gb Ram

Thanks
    • rox0r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair IV Formula
      • CPU:
      • AMD PHENOM2 X6 1090T
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 240Gb SSD, 1 x 1Tb F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD R9 280x
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Designs R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2709W 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    I think he deserves nothing but credit for what he's trying to achieve. You can tell that he's passionate about these things and actually does care. On the first school dinners when he saw what the kids were being fed he was somewhere in between furious and tearful.

Thanks
    Whether he was being paid for it or not, he's STILL doing it! noone else is! he's quite clearly passionate about it, so whether he's being paid for it or not is beside the point. He doesnt want his children being brought up with the slop that some of us did. So if it *DOES* change the school dinners that children are being fed, then tbh, i think it's all good.

on a side note, 37p per portion is bloody awful, thats 2 carrots and a potato (of decent quality) - anything more than that for that price clearly has something wrong with it!

Thanks
    Ok , fine you buy the whole thing, but personally I think you're all a bit naive to believe an act you see on tv.

so whether he's being paid for it or not is beside the point
    Get real, of course its a valid point. If mother teressa made 10million a year ppl might have looked at her slightly different.. philanthropy is extremely rare, if it exists at all.

Yes he "looks" like he's doing this all out of the goodness of his heart, but he's not, like most philanthropists there are other motives too, the fact is that his "good samaratin", all round "my best mockney buddy" has made him a multi millionaire.

Just be a bit more cynical ppl, all Im saying is that it is possible that his motives are not driven purely by "the kids". They might be, but I'm not so sure as you.

I like him though.
    Athlon 3500+ | 1Gb Ram

Thanks
    ok, so he's getting paid to do a job, like anyone who has a job. He also runs a restaurant which would be where the most part of his money comes from, along with all his other cookery programs, so saying he's getting £10M for this one series is YOU being naive.

If you ahd a job, that you were getting paid for, is it so wrong to be passionate about it? Are you not allowed to put your heart and soul into a job you really believe in even if you ARE being paid for it?

Cut him some slack, he's doing more about the issue than you are, he has the power to change things for children in the long run.

If you could try to be slightly LESS cynical rather than trying to persuade us to be MORE so, you might actually see the whole point of the project.

Thanks
    Think his a top guy in a relatively arrogant and BS field.

Compare him to the likes of Gordan Ramsey and how much of a t**t that bloke is!

I have really enjoyed his latest series and totally back his campaign. The fact that he cares is a huge thing and with a campaign backed by a celebrity of his calibre then it deserves to make a huge impact
    .: Predator :.

- Shuttle SN25P - A64 3700+ San Diego @ 2.7GHz - 1GB PQI Ultra DDR - X850XT - Asus DVD-ROM - 200GB Maxtor + 2*80GB SATAII -

Banned
    Thanks
    I like Gordon Ramsey, he's a blokes bloke. And with 3 Michelline stars under his belt, you can hardly say he's not a proper Chef, can you?

Quite like old Jamie Oliver as well, they are certainly both a massive leap forward from the middle-class types we used to get on telly, swilling wine around their gobs and the like.

At least Jamie Oliver pretends to be a cockney lad, and Ramsey swears a bit. Keeping it real whilst they show me how to make pan-fried fillet of Dorade Royale on a bed of braised kangeroo hearts, with artichoke and ants nest sweet breads searved on a poached elephants ear.

What's wrong with jam crumpets?
    Last edited by Stewart; 20-03-2005 at 12:46 PM.

Old boys club member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tom deloford
    Ok , fine you buy the whole thing, but personally I think you're all a bit naive to believe an act you see on tv.

Get real, of course its a valid point. If mother teressa made 10million a year ppl might have looked at her slightly different.. philanthropy is extremely rare, if it exists at all.

Yes he "looks" like he's doing this all out of the goodness of his heart, but he's not, like most philanthropists there are other motives too, the fact is that his "good samaratin", all round "my best mockney buddy" has made him a multi millionaire.

Just be a bit more cynical ppl, all Im saying is that it is possible that his motives are not driven purely by "the kids". They might be, but I'm not so sure as you.

I like him though.
    I have friends that work for Charities full time and they get paid, does that mean that the work that they do is less important?? Just a small point but an important one methinks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information