Thread: My Blog - Get's Me Degree Credits?

Loves duck, Peking Duck! bsodmike's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bsodmike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Misc.
      • CPU:
      • Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (8-cores) / iMac 2.8GHz C2D Extreme Edition / MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 & 13.3" 2.26 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR2 kits on all systems / FB ECC RAM in Mac Pro
      • Storage:
      • 320GB + 3x 1TB, Mac Pro / 500 GB, iMac / 2x 1TB & 2x 2TB WD My Book Studio II, via FW800 to Mac Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (two dual-link DVI ports / Mac Pro)
      • PSU:
      • Misc.
      • Case:
      • Misc.
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OS X 10.5 (Mac Pro) / Mac OS X 10.4.11 (others)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple 23" Cinema HD / Dell FPW2408 / iMac 24" display
      • Internet:
      • 2mbps ADSL (Mac Pro) / 512kbps WiMax (Wifi/MacBook Pro)

My Blog - Gets Me Degree Credits?

Heh...

Here is an interesting story. I woke up yesterday (~7am) to find that my blog had suffered somekind of corruption of the mySQL db just after I had got it to perfectly fit in with the gallery.

I ended up trashing all the records (I know, last resort) and reposted. 5 mins later same thing happens. So I trashed the db and removed WordPress which was version 1.2.2 at the time, as v1.5 was available.

After setting up v1.5 with a new DB I noticed that it handles theming much differently, i.e. you no longer hack it in the same way.

After a couple hours, so many lines of code later (~12pm) got it to look amazing...

Now here's the catch, I had to deliver a presentation today and my partner 'told' me that the professor decided to allow us to give our group presentation today as we missed the timetabled session - and he wanted me to do HIS share of the work as well.

I ended up slapping together a 9 slide presentation (in about 30mins) that was meant to be delivered in 12mins.

So today I get to Uni at 9am and the Professor is like "Are you ready to give your presentation?" and I'm like "Um, I thought it was the group one for us today?" and he's like "Nope, your own 5minute one....are you prepared?"...

So I explained that I prepared for a 12min one but I can 'bodge' it for 5mins...

He wasn't convinced at all....

After delivering the whole presentation in 5mins, which by the way was titled "The Power of CSS (and PHP)" he was quite pleased and asked me a ton of questions - I ended up showcasing my blog as an example of CSS and PHP in action, also showed them the backend and a peek at some of my code.

I grabbed some breakkie and went to his office to find out how I faired and he was pretty impressed that I was able to deliver a 'very good' presentation at the drop of a hat.

He also didn't expect me to download the presentation off the private folder on my website, people tend to come with floppies in hand or with memory sticks...so I gave off the impression of not being prepared...

Ahh well, back to work

ADMINS: Made a typo in the topic, please make it "My Blog - Gets Me Degree Credits?"
    Last edited by headbrace; 21-04-2005 at 07:48 PM.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    nice one...always good when you knowwhat you're talking about too!