Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new window for the 'Vista'?

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

Need a new window for the 'Vista'?

Found this article about Monitors & Vista very interesting, and indeed enlightening.
    And also
    The big question: Can your system handle Windows Vista? http://techrepublic.com.com/5254-625...31&tag=nl.e019
    at the Tech Republic.

Anyone else have growing concerns over just how well their system will handle Vista when it arrives? I realise Vista isn't due for a while but still....
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Barely posting since 2006 bertie's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bertie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Lenovo Y480
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3610QM
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR1600
      • Storage:
      • 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GT650M
      • PSU:
      • Lappy
      • Case:
      • NA
      • Operating System:
      • W7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405
      • Internet:
      • Australian awful net
    I've read about HDCP before, and I'm just hoping there will be a workaround

Thanks
    As far as i understand it, you will only need a HDCP certified monitor for HD video playback, everything else will be ok. Which is fine for me as i wont really be playing any HD video on my PC. I have heard some companies already talking about a small HDCP decoding boxes that sits between your PC and monitor/HDTV to allow you to use existing displays. But if you plan to by a new screen, you would be mad not to wait to see what Vista brings.

Thanks
    It seems this is going to be a bit like copy protected CD's that jsut have to go back to the shop, when I cant play a CD without installing some retard player or put it on my Iriver I dont want it. The same goes for anything, there will be a workaround, thats for sure, just cant garentee it will involve any money going to the vendo of whoever makes the dvd/cd in question.

Windows vista is one of the only upgrades I dont really want, it seems Iconic of the windows uselessfeatures/usefulfeatures ratio that really evened out for XP, but in vista 2:1 5:1 I just dont know..

Thanks
    • XA04's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x 8gb DDR 4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Serpent M.2 SSD & 4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit RTX 2060
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 650W
      • Case:
      • Fractcal Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama 34" Curved UWQHD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb Fibre
    There will be a way around it I tell you now. I'm not spending money on a new monitor when mine is perfectly fine how it is.

Thanks
    Most people dont want DRM on anything, its time to make a stand, and say NO to DRM! If you dont want it dont get it and the market will sort it out for you!

Barely posting since 2006 bertie's Avatar
    Thanks
    • bertie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Lenovo Y480
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3610QM
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR1600
      • Storage:
      • 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GT650M
      • PSU:
      • Lappy
      • Case:
      • NA
      • Operating System:
      • W7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405
      • Internet:
      • Australian awful net
    Agreed with the above

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    Guys don't take this out of context, it's not really that big of a deal.

Ok so we know Vista will need a good PC to run will all the eye candy etc turned on - big deal, most PC enthusiasts have the required specs anyway, and most older PCs will run it perfectly well too (albeit with graphics etc turned down).

It's not much different from the leap from 98se to XP, performance wise imho. When XP was released you needed 128meg ram minimum to run it officially, although if you optimised you could be fine with 64meg..but if you ran XP with all the nice things on you really needed 256 to get it working, or 512 for a comfortable experience. Vista is not much different. Whats the most common amount of ram in PCs these days - 256->512? I would say so, more than enough for vista.

Most common graphics cards? Even ignoring the enthusiast market the majority will be 128meg cards (or close to if sharing ram), enough for vistas 3D/vector graphics. Hell even a bottom end card such as a FX5200/Radeon 9200 or even below that will be able to cope.

So as far as system performance goes I don't think it is an issue. I suspect we will see a similar takeup to when XP was released anyway - ie not everyone will upgrade right away anyway, XP is a great OS and the best one that M$ have created so far for home and buisness users (I don't count DOS as a microsoft OS since it wasnt really theirs to begin with)

DRM stuff? Well again this isn't really a problem is it? All your content on your PC is obviously legit, and licenced (), and this is talking about integrating DRM into windows itself, so that you DON'T have to install a million and one 3rd party malware to run your videos etc (in theory). As for only getting HD DRM content on HDCP monitors, well most PC monitors are not HD ready anyway, so if you want to view it in HD mode you will need a new montor anyway, so why not just get one with HDCP when the time comes? If it takes off they will be common enough..

Just my 2c but I can't wait for vista to be here, After playing with various CTP releases I like the way it's coming along, and beta 2 will be here early next year, that shouldnt be too far off the RTM build

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippledence
    Most people dont want DRM on anything, its time to make a stand, and say NO to DRM! If you dont want it dont get it and the market will sort it out for you!

Will never work. Tbh i fully agree with DRM, if I were an artist of some sort I would want my work protected so that people don't just copy it and send it accross the net for free, or at least so that every numpty can't do it with a click of a button. Granted all this rootkit nonsense with sony etc I don't agree with, but simple things like DRM protected WMVs, or DRM music downloads make sense to me.

If you don't want it, fine don't buy it it's your choice

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1
    Will never work. Tbh i fully agree with DRM, if I were an artist of some sort I would want my work protected so that people don't just copy it and send it accross the net for free, or at least so that every numpty can't do it with a click of a button. Granted all this rootkit nonsense with sony etc I don't agree with, but simple things like DRM protected WMVs, or DRM music downloads make sense to me.

If you don't want it, fine don't buy it it's your choice
    drm doesn't block piracy, or affect pirates. drm only affects legit consumers - e.g. if i download music from p2p, i don't get sony's inept rootkit. notice that many artists' websites now include instructions on violating the drm on thwir discs, as without it, consumers are fecked - e.g. they can't move music onto an ipod, which significantly decreases the value of the music. i no longer buy from artists whose music is drm'd - how is that protecting them?

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    It is a start though, Copy protection for PC games has not worked for years and years, only now are we starting to see protections that cannot be broken instantly (latest starforce for example hasn't been broken, only complex workarounds are around). Im sure someone will eventally get around it, but there are games that have been out for months and no crack as such has been released

I think the same will eventually happen with music, so as a concept i fully support it. Especially if it gets integrated to vista, should make life alot easier.

Thanks
    Theres still going to be ways to copy music what ever happens - even if that means resorting to taking a line out from the sound source and re-recording it in a program like adobe audition and mixing down the tracks.

As for not being able to see vista in its full glory with out having a HD enabled monitor - its just giving you that excuse to go out and buy that nice TFT you've alway wanted

Thanks
    In principle, I'm all up for more protection against piracy. Problem is, DRM in its current from (and furture it seems) is overly restrictive at best, and completely stamps on consumer right at worst. It seems to me that the latter is is most common. On example, and one of my pet hates, is music bought from itunes. Not only is it generally more expensive than CD's, yet much lower quality, you can only play your music on an apple product. Put bluntly, DRM is utter b*****ks. What we need is standardised DRM, so any music we buy can be play on any device we own. I'm hoping Vista will address this problem, but I'm not holding any hopes out. It seems the corporations have far to much control and it's primary being used to increase profits via forcing people to buy multiple copies of the same thing, not though reducing piracy. The coporations are basically ripping us off with DRM and getting away with. It's daylight robbery, yet they bang on about us 'playing fair'.

As for games, while no one doubts they need to protect their products, the games companies are already bending (possibly breaking) the law. You see, unlike with music and DVD's, we have a legal right to back up our software (i.e. games). Copy protection on games is actually denying us our legal right to protect our investment.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous_dom
    ...What we need is standardised DRM, so any music we buy can be play on any device we own...
    To do this we first need a standard format that is played on all devices - MP3 is the only one really, and it doesnt support DRM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1
    It is a start though, Copy protection for PC games has not worked for years and years, only now are we starting to see protections that cannot be broken instantly (latest starforce for example hasn't been broken, only complex workarounds are around). Im sure someone will eventally get around it, but there are games that have been out for months and no crack as such has been released

I think the same will eventually happen with music, so as a concept i fully support it. Especially if it gets integrated to vista, should make life alot easier.
    Cracking is getting harder, but do you not think its unfair that the consumer who does buy the product should have to suffer higher prices or an inferiour expernce becasue of some anti copy measures. I've read alot about problems been caused by anti copy things on games, not to mention rootkit.

Its more DVD's and CD's which I am conserd about any how. Whats the point of buying a CD you cant Rip for your MP3 player, when you can download it. I'm not encoraging downloading music, but its the truth.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy!!!
    To do this we first need a standard format that is played on all devices - MP3 is the only one really, and it doesnt support DRM.

Agreed, although we should not lose out on what formats can choose. But yeah, it would not be hard to do. Again, this is down to the corporations using proprietary formats and standards to control consumers. Look how reluctant Sony where in impliment MP3 decoding in their players for ages.

There is a serious case for the monopoly people, or whatever they are called, i would have thought. Imagine the outcry if you bought some DVD's Or CD's only to find out that you could only play them a [insert name] branded player now. And even if you had another player in your house by the same company you cant use that to play them. Not only that, but once you are bored of them you can't sell them or even give them away to someone else.

But the bottom line is, at the end of the day we could maybe swollow all this nonsense if it was reflected in the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information