Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: martial arts

Thanks
    Ben, maybe you could say why you are thinking of taking up Wing Chun in particular.

I've trained in a few different arts including Wing Chun and the training for each differs considerably - both mentally and physically.

Apart from the 3 forms and the dummy, Wing Chun is mostly trained with a partner at close quarters with no gloves or protection. It trains you to react fast and counter while maintaining focus. You should expect to get a variety of bruises and the occassional split lip or black eye.

Having said that, it will help you to learn about yourself, what you're capable of and what fears you can overcome, but only if you are fully dedicated to learning the art.

A very simple art that is extremely difficult to master.

la la la
    Thanks
    yeah thats what i liked about it, the realism and the mental side of learning about myself, overcoming/controlling fear etc

im just interested to know what the vibe is like at these places?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_
    where is it? theres no address just a phone number

also whats the vibe like there? i dont want my pretty face smashed up straight away
    Very friendly bunch, you'll instantly welcomed and newbies are always partnered with an experienced person for their first lesson.

We have had 3 new starters in the last week and all 3 have signed up after one lesson. Speaks volumes about the place.
    Recycling consultant

la la la
    Thanks
    but where is it ?

la la la
    Thanks
    stourbridge bit far for me

i have found a wing chun class a bit closer to home

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    Apart from the 3 forms and the dummy, Wing Chun is mostly trained with a partner at close quarters with no gloves or protection. It trains you to react fast and counter while maintaining focus. You should expect to get a variety of bruises and the occassional split lip or black eye.

Having said that, it will help you to learn about yourself, what you're capable of and what fears you can overcome, but only if you are fully dedicated to learning the art.
    This is what drove me away from Wing Chun. Well, my Sifu in particular drove me away from Wing Chun, I could not agree not only with what he taught, but also the way he taught.

In Shaolin, I'm not even allowed to free spar until I show a certain level of understanding, form, flow, energy, and compassion (or control) - the only way to hurt yourself is by doing things other than you've been told - which obviously takes practice. For me, a martial art which is over 2000 years old and has been taught and proven systematically over this period of time is good enough for me.

Each Shaolin student (and students of other arts as well, depending on the Sifu or master), for a good student, is to exceed their Sifu (or master), but thats only part of it - and this is where Wing Chun is difficult to find a good Sifu, because it has branched out to different varieties - only then will the art flourish and progress. There are (comparitively speaking compared to almost every other art) very few masters out there that can teach genuine Shaolin arts with true lineage.

la la la
    Thanks
    pretty much everything i have read about wing chun has appealed to me

the lineage, the real world applicability of the training, the attitude and principles of efficiency and so on, it all sounds good

if its mostly focused on sparring thats great as i never understood how your supposed to develop any skill if you never actually use it in a real combat situation

Thanks
    The Shaolin teach green mantis style at agym in Hockley sometimes they advertise in the metro. AS with all martial arts kung Fu is not with out its faults. Kung foo can be rigid with little room for flexibility. However it is superior to tae kwon doe. IF you fail to find a decent karate teacher thne you will come away knowing nothing except how to kick and punch not good. IT depends on the other students as well, as have quit many clases due to a poor set of students and intsructers teaching only fighting some of them (instructors) even try to show off. Try not to paytoo much attention to the colured belt system if you come across it, it is not part of the traditional and was introduced for impatient westerners.
    Honour in peace,

A leprichaun talks to me....

Banned
    Thanks
    lol at impatient westerners, i agree though

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    AS with all martial arts kung Fu is not with out its faults. Kung foo can be rigid with little room for flexibility. However it is superior to tae kwon doe.
    There is no martial art "superior" to others - there are only martial arts which better suit different people. Just because someone does Kung Fu does not automatically mean they would win against a TKD exponent, or vice versa.

Thanks
    How about ninjutsu, the art of kicking peoples arses quietly! I've always wanted to learn, dunno if you can though.
    With love and many thanks,

Melons

Thanks

hung gar

I did some hung gar (a style that is similar to Shaolin boxing) when I was young. I really enjoyed it. I would recommend Shaolin style to any body that has enough patients and time. You’ll need to spent lots of time on it and gets little back initially as the Shaolin way is to getting the basic right first (horse stance, low, middle, high kicks). The only way to progress is with a solid basic skill. I did 6 month of basic training before even allowed to learn some simple moves. Once I start to learn them thought, every thing just fit in nicely. My recommendation to you is to think about how much free time you are willing to spend on it? What is your goal? Shao lin style is really good for keep fit and improve your body sense. But you’ll have to spend lots of time on it. Wing Chun offers a fast way to become a master and seems to be more rewarding at the start, but you won’t get a solid base to build on.

Thanks
    There is no martial art "superior" to others - there are only martial arts which better suit different people

I refute your claim, With those that matter tae kwon doe is not even considered a martial art but a big kids play ground game. There is little if anything resembling proper development and focus it is just a sport nothing else, I have tried it and left dissapointed with bothe the attude of intructors and students they do not even know the origins of martial arts or its intended purpose, and no its not fighting.
    Honour in peace,

A leprichaun talks to me....

Thanks
    • Lowe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 4690K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 256GB and 1TB spindle drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce GTX1080 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 600w
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Silencio 352 m-ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7/Mac OSX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1080p AOC, Oculus Rift CV1
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin VIVID
    That very much depends on the style of TKD that you've encountered. The proper ITF styles are very much developed around the military and it's based upon Karate and other traditional Korean martial art systems.

WTF style is much more sport focused and is the style you see in the Olympics and the major tournaments. It's use as a self defence system is certainly 'poor' to say the least.

Overall TKD does have a hole - it has no groundwork or real teaching of take downs other than sweeps in official syllabuses. But then the same could be said of Karate, Kickboxing etc...

Thanks
    My step dad used to be a big martial artist. Reached 2nd Dan at some style in Karate (cant remember the name) and has also been British Champion, and Runner up.

Hes also qualified in something to do with weapons, and is very good with them, I must tell you Some of his stuff:

He was also invited to go over to Okinawa to train in a Dojo over there, but he hurt his should (Popped out of place, still has mark from it over 30 years later).

He Used to have to his own place at Medowhall in Sheffield, but closed it all to come and live with us. He started teaching me a bit, and I also started Kickboxing, but I find now that alot of clubs are just after the money now rather than the true meaning of it all.

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixmystic View Post
    I refute your claim, With those that matter tae kwon doe is not even considered a martial art but a big kids play ground game. There is little if anything resembling proper development and focus it is just a sport nothing else, I have tried it and left dissapointed with bothe the attude of intructors and students they do not even know the origins of martial arts or its intended purpose, and no its not fighting.

Very few martial arts, as today stands, are like this. Martial art for sport, and martial arts as an art may be two different things, but it still comes down to what suits what person. If someone wants to take a martial art like TKD, they could become good at the techniques they practice and still be able to beat a kung fu exponent.

What I meant by no martial art superior to others is that so many people like to consider their art the best, or what they chose is the best, with little consideration towards how they would fayre in other arts, or how others would fayre in other arts. There are so many martial arts out there, be it sport or otherwise, and with everyone out there looking for something different (or something that suits them), there is not one (or one selective few) art(s) best suited for everyone. I wouldn't mock TKD, or judo, or Shotokan etc. because of the way they teach or what they teach - because whoever does it should be enjoying it much the way I enjoy my art.

In our school, many have arrived after doing several different arts before finding Shaolin Wahnam, and there are a few who are Grandmasters in other arts as well as teachers in others - everyone of them will say martial arts is down to the individual, not simply the art. If you enjoy it, then be thankful you found it - otherwise, find something else. No one elses opinion will matter on what's "better", make your own mind up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information