Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a job, where to start?

Thanks

I need a job, where to start?

Im 17 and I need a job. I'm fed up of asking pearants for money and want my own source of income.

Ive been around a shopping area where I would like to work, and went to every-shop there asking for positions, all declined or asked for CV's (which I gave).

What else can I do? I want to work over the weekend. Some electronics shop or sports shop is ideal but I dont really mind anywhere.

Thanks.

Thanks
    what about a supermarket chain. they're always looking for people, and thats where i had my first job. i worked in Morrisons for 3 months, then left to go to Gamestation for 3 months. Then i had a 2 month gap and started working in a pizza place, been working there for over a year now.

Start off with a really easy job and build it up from there. Can i see your CV?

Thanks
    Sure- Cover letter-

I am at presently studying in year ** where I am doing 3 A levels. The subjects I am studying are Art, Media Studies and Law. I picked these subjects as I want a varied portfolio on which I can build upon. I am hoping to get a job to fit around my Six-Form timetable to gain more knowledge first hand in the working world.

I would like to go forward with Law and Media Studies and acquire a career in this area. I currently have a Art website selling paintings (www.customart4u.net).

Included is my CV with dates referring to my exams and when they took place.

Thank you in advance for looking at my CV and I would be grateful for an interview at an appropriate time for the both of us.

Yours faithfully,

CV

PERSONAL PROFILE: I like to think that I am a polite and hardworking person. I can work well in a team and I have the confidence to complete tasks on my own. I also

WORK EXPERIENCE: (Year 11)

In Holland and Barrett I did a range of activities such as cleaning, stacking and packing. I found the experience very valuable.

In Esquires Coffee House I worked in a fast environment and waited customers and cleaned up tables.

The rest is just GCSE results. Should I update it with my A level results? (which aint too good - B C D).

Thanks.

Thanks
    that looks ok, tbh though, from working in a few small places, they just bin your CV as soon as you hand it in. If you're lucky they might read it. Try and personally hand them in, that way they know what you look like. Wear a suit and look smart, first impressions last. Keep an eye out for any signs saying "Staff Required", and have a CV to hand.

You might want to amend the CV to show the periods of employment with H&B and Esquires. That way the employers will know that you weren't just pissing about

Its frustrating, but i was looking for a job for over a month at one point, sometimes you just get lucky

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice!

I just sent an email to connexions asking about employment. Lets see what they come up with!

Thanks
    oh yeah, and make sure you chase them up if they say no. its the only way you're going to know what your doing wrong heck, they might even say, this guys really interested, maybe we'll give him a job after all.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    This is going to sound harsh mate but that cover letter isnt great If a prospective employer reads it then you are scuppered right there. If your not too hot with english language then keep it simple

Maybe try this?

I am presently studying for my A levels in Art, Media Studies and Law. I chose these subjects because they interest me and will build a solid foundation for entering higher education. I am hoping to work part time while I study in order to gain independance and first hand experience of the working world.

I hope to study law at university (uni, smart= good, going to be at uni and probably staying with business for a few years aswel, also good) and one day pursue a career in this area. I currently run an Art website selling some of my work (www.customart4u.net). <excellent- displays your talents and show your initiative

I have enclosed a copy of my CV. I am available for an interview at any time (shows your eager and flexible) and i look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance (at this point they have already read your cv) for looking at my CV and I would be grateful for an interview at an appropriate time for the both of us (you have to bend to suit them because you want something from them).

Yours faithfully,

Include your as/alevel grades and mobile/homephone/address

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    local town centre agencies are a good start point & often full of friendly advice
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    mate, look for jobs in a hospital by you. the NHS Jobs website will let you know whats available, usualy quite a few weekend/evening jobs just easy clerical filing work, and.. theres NURSES AND SECRETARIES!

Thanks
    Steve B- Good idea, I might try that next time

Steve- Thanks for that mate, I'm gona get editing on my CV now.

OiD- Really? Where can I find that?

Russ- I just checked my local hospital, no jobs availible on the website.

Thanks for the wealth of replies!

Thanks
    http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/

try that one.

Thanks
    Yeah thats the one I checked.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Hi there,

I was just walking down and I saw a shop had a sign saying "Sales assistant wanted". I took down the number and now I want to call them, I have no idea what to say lol.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    "Hello, I'm ringing to inquire about the sales assistant vacancy advertised in your X street shop window."

Has all the piri-piri! GeorgeTuk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Don't take this personally as just trying to help...have a look at the below and let me know what you think.

PERSONAL PROFILE: I like to think that I am a polite and hardworking person. I can work well in a team and I have the confidence to complete tasks on my own. I also

Eliminate the doubt you have in the first sentence. Try something like: I am a young, polite and hardworking member of any team with some experience in retail and with customers. I can also work without supervision to accomplish tasks above and beyond expectations. I am widely knowledgeable about electrical goods and in particular computers and AV equipment.

WORK EXPERIENCE:

Add:

CustomArt4U. I have created and managed a website which is directed at selling personalised art over the internet. I designed the website, and I handle the payments, orders and dispatch of the goods. I have adapted the website based on feedback and improved the sales. The website can be seen at www.XXXXXXX.com

In Holland and Barrett I did a range of activities such as cleaning, stacking and packing. I found the experience very valuable.

Try: Whilst on work experience I performed many activities which contribute to running of the shop. These included cleaning and presenting the products, stock monitoring and rotation. I also had some contact with cutomers and performed as part of the shop team.

In Esquires Coffee House I worked in a fast environment and waited customers and cleaned up tables.

Try: Whilst working in the Coffee House I learned to adapt to the fast moving environment and change my abilities to suit the situation of the role I was performing. I was able to improve my customer relations skills and also work in a busy team. I was also responsible for maintaining the high standards of cleanliness required of a food and drinks outlet.
    Last edited by GeorgeTuk; 05-09-2006 at 01:10 PM.

Stealth Geek - And Proud!

Thanks
    Just called up, they say its just for girls lol.

Thanks for the help George.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information