Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth fitting disc brakes to my mountain bike?

Banned
    Thanks

Is it worth fitting disc brakes to my mountain bike?

I've got a Marin hardtail / front sus mountain bike with disc ready hubs and wheels, and was wondering if its worth spending the money/effort fitting disc brakes to it?

The thing is, I can easily lock the rear wheel using the rear brake and fling myself over the handlebars using the front brake (not that I've tried the latter) at more or less any sped, and since I'm not really into bragging rights, I'm not entirely sure of the benefit of discs?

Any advice? Ta.
    Last edited by davidstone28; 11-10-2006 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks
    Its not about the power of the brakes, your tires will just skid if you slam ANY brakes down, Its about the amount of control and reliability you get. It all depends on what kind of riding you do. If you ride offroad then I suggest you get them, on roads they just weigh you down. I use Hayes HFX9 XC and they have never let me down!

BTW make sure you get hydrualic ones not cable. Cable brakes are worse than v-brakes.
    With love and many thanks,

Melons

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidstone28 View Post
    I've got a Marin hardtail / front sus mountain bike with disc ready hubs and wheels, and was wondering if its worth spending the money/effort fitting disc brakes to it?

The thing is, I can easily lock the rear wheel using the rear brake and fling myself over the handlebars using the front brake (not that I've tried the latter) at more or less any sped, and since I'm not really into bragging rights, I'm not entirely sure of the benefit of discs?

Any advice? Ta.
    They're great if you're into heavy mud plugging- rims get covered in mud which harms the effectiveness of of rim brakes (and can accelerate wear of pads and rims), whereas discs do not (or not nearly so much). For road or gentle off road use I can't see the point- I daresay discs need less adjustment and are thus a bit easier to look after, but it's hardly a great trial to adjust your v brakes every three months.

Thanks
    Agree with ^^ discs shed mud easily and are reaonably unaffected by water. Really its just personal preference although discs are a bit sharper due to the hydraulics (Cables stretch a bit when you pull the lever) and they "can" provide a bit more fine control if you know what you are doing!
    Beer is life, life is good!

Thanks
    I could be worth getting very good v-brakes. What is the exact model of bike?

Melons

Banned
    Thanks
    Useful info...thanks.

Bike is an '06 Marin Bolinas Ridge with Pro-Max V brakes. Most of my riding is commuting with occasional yomps through parks/woodlands at the weekend (though nothing hardcore).
    http://www.whatmtb.com/biketestdetails.asp?id=630

Are you saying that hydraulic discs have more "feel" to them in terms of modulating the stopping power, and if so, am I right in thinking that the difference in feel is small rather than huge. For example, on my V brakes, I just press the lever lightly for reduced braking power etc

Also do discs tend to "squeek" like V brakes after you've used them a while or are they generally more high tech than that?

Rough cost of discs front and rear?

Finally, OT, but I am right in thinking that there's no such thing on bikes where pressing one brake lever applies brakes to front and rear wheels (like a car) but where you can adjust the brake balance between front and rear (like a car, well a racing car anyway)?
    Last edited by davidstone28; 11-10-2006 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks
    Anything hydraulic will be more direct, cables always stretch slightly. But the degree you notice it will depend on you and how you ride.... Used to have hydraulic rim brakes on my sponsored bike. Personally I like the feel of hydraulics better, but as I don't ride competetivly anymore there is no benefit to me. A good set of well adjusted cable "v" brakes will be more than efficient enough for commuting and a fair bit of mud hacking. Unless you are planning on downhilling save the money and buy something else mate! Just my 2 pence!

ps if hydraulics go wrong they are not normally an easy fix, if cables go wrong you can fix em yourself.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidstone28 View Post
    Finally, OT, but I am right in thinking that there's no such thing on bikes where pressing one brake lever applies brakes to front and rear wheels (like a car) but where you can adjust the brake balance between front and rear (like a car, well a racing car anyway)?
    As far as I am aware no.

The difference in feel is huge. If you are an experienced biker like me then you will never turn back.

They rarely make much noise unless they get sand or grit on them (this usualy makes them perform better ) or if they get wet (it should only take a few minutes to dry though).

The only problem I have had with mine is heat. If you touch your brakes after rining like I did the first time I rode mine, you will get a very nasty burn (my fingers actually stuck to them). But I'm sure you wont be that stupid

Edit: ooo price: Anything from about 80 to 150 pounds (my pound sign is broken, stupid linux)
    Last edited by BlindMelon7; 11-10-2006 at 10:28 PM.

Melons

Thanks
    Brake balance would be no use on a bike, as it is always variable, depending on terrain and speed. Too much risk of a face plant if you trust front and rear to one lever IMHO!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the info.

I think I've got the bike bug pretty bad....have spent more money on accessories than the bike itself

Thanks
    Yep, that happens. At least you can probably transfer all the bits when you get a new bike (your one looks like it might break at any minute , I'm used to Kona)

Melons

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Is it worth it? Only if theyre hydraulic ones. I almost fainted the day they brought out cable operated disks

Still got Vee's on mine even though I'm disk ready. Performance difference doesnt warrant the price.

Butuz

Thanks
    I never use anything other than HOPE discs! unless im on messing with my trials bike and they my Magura HS33 do!

Ed
    Three Lions!
    C'mon England

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    Yup discs are worth it - Even the cabled discs that have been rubbished here are fairly good (I've got some - came with the bike...)

I had V-brakes on my old mountain bike, and once adjusted properly they are as powerful, just I found that discs are less likely to be affected by mud & the like

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    i'm going to disagree with most of the comments on cable disks.. I've a set of avid cable disks on one of my bikes (a kona roast) and I find them really good for most things - they don't fade much, you never get the fluid boiling, and they're cheap/easy to set up and maintain. They don't have the out-right feel of hydrolics (I have hope dh4s on one bike, saints on another, and hope o2's on my old xc rig), but the advantages in cost are huge - a nice hydrolic setup (say hopes) will be £130 per end new, whereas avid cables were (when i bought them) £100 for the complete set (new). i'd not reccomend any other cable disks though - i've not ridden any others and i know that some are worse than v's.

is it worth the upgrade? personally, i'd wait till something goes wrong with the current brakes - or when it gets so muddy on your local trails that they're getting annoying. 90% of the power and feel in a brake is in how its set up - when i first did my saints i couldnt even lock the bloomin things. if you're not doing big descents (ie, 4-5 minutes, on the brakes more than 50% of the time) i wouldnt worry too much about rotor size - if you are doing that sort of thing, get dinner plates front and rear. for xc 155mm is normally plenty
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    I would say that in dry conditons, discs brakes work just as well (but no better) than good V-brakes. But in wet conditions they continue to work just as well, while the V-Brakes are covered in crap and hardly working at all.

I have been on a wet ride in places like the peak district where those people on V-Brakes completely wore out new pads in one ride. (It had a fairly bad effect on a certain brand of suspenson fork as well, but that is a different story)

I have been riding mountain bikes for about 10 years now. About 3 years ago, I brought a bike with discs, and for year round off road use I would never want to go back, but for road use or in summer I would be happy to use my old V-Brake equiped bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information