Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Best news in ages! Smoking Ban Date set!

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven W View Post
    They've obviously never visited some of the back street pubs in Walsall where most people smoke, including the landlords. The chances of this happening in every pub in my area is slim.
    They quite simply have no choice. They will have to run a non-smoking premises or face fines/losing their license, simple as that and rightly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1eD View Post
    This country has far greater problems. This smoking thing has got way out of control.
    I don’t see this as being unreasonable? If someone requests that a member of staff come to their premises why should the employee have to poison themselves?

Thanks
    • Matt1eD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI K9N6SGM-V GeForce 6100
      • CPU:
      • Athlon 64 LE-1620 2.41GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2 GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 1.25 TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Onboard
      • PSU:
      • eBuyer Extra Value 500W!
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrichello View Post
    I don’t see this as being unreasonable? If someone requests that a member of staff come to their premises why should the employee have to poison themselves?
    I think its a matter of self-moderation; sure if one walks in and the property is just a haze as solid as a wall (I exaggerate but you get the idea) then that's extremely inconsiderate. If however there's only a fresh smell but no circulating inhalable smoke [much better than stale!] then I see no problem.

If one argues that it effects the clothes of those visiting - 10 mins/30 mins since stubbing out won't make a difference.

I think the fact that regs. are being set for this is absurd as I say it's judgement on the smokers part that is required.

Tools are the subtlest of traps redsky009's Avatar
    Thanks
    • redsky009's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.29 Ghz with Arctic Freezer Pro 7 cooling
      • Memory:
      • 4 GB Corsair Twin XMS 6400 (Cas 4)
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Seagate + 500GB WD (SATA 300, 7,200rpm)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB PowerColor HD4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520W (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion 532
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC LCD2070NX (20", 1600x1200)
      • Internet:
      • 22Mb ADSL 2+
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1eD View Post
    I think the fact that regs. are being set for this is absurd as I say it's judgement on the smokers part that is required.
    Therein lies the problem.... you can't rely on the judgement of the inflicted over their vice, its physically and psychologically addictive. Many smokers are considerate, but many aren't and a lot can't smell the smoke anymore - the smell remains and sticks to clothes very easily in not very well ventilated areas (like peoples houses in winter).

I used to live with smokers, even though they only smoked out the kitchen door, clothes still smelt of smoke straight out the washing machine (it was in the kitchen too) and anyone who came into the flat from outside (nonsmokers) could smell the stale smoke lingering.. thats the thing a lot of people object to, the fact is that cigarette smoke is very pervasive and gets onto and into everything and is very hard to get out again.

I'm still uneasy by the big brother type regulations that seems to be encroaching though... reminds me of a Michael Marshall Smith book set in the future where tobbacco was a class A/B drug and illegal

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    Having a smoking area in a pub would be like having a peeing section in a swimming pool... it wouldn't work.
    In most cases it wouldn't but a lot of places I've been to have the extraction and air systems to deal with this but never actually use them to their full potential.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee @ SCAN View Post
    In most cases it wouldn't but a lot of places I've been to have the extraction and air systems to deal with this but never actually use them to their full potential.
    That would be the problem though, a lot of pubs would want a smoking area, but it just wouldn't be practical because of the size. The smoke would still end up effecting the staff, which is the main point of the ban.

My gf smokes and I now demand we go into non-smoking areas as she cannot seem to stop no matter what I do to help out, and she is fine with that. I really can't wait for this ban, it's going to mean going down a cafe for Sunday breakfast doesn't leave me gagging because someone is smoking behind me. Even my lunch place down the road from work allows smoking, and 1 person in that 100sq-ft establishment stinks up the entire place. I don't think my having a glass of wine/beer with lunch is anywhere near offensive.

I do think that smoking in a closed in public place is as offensive as getting overly drunk and being a nusance - both should be illegal, but the latter is harder to enforce. Pubs should be more responsible for their customers too, and hopefully the staggered closing times will minimise the damage.

Thanks
    • Matt1eD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI K9N6SGM-V GeForce 6100
      • CPU:
      • Athlon 64 LE-1620 2.41GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2 GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 1.25 TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Onboard
      • PSU:
      • eBuyer Extra Value 500W!
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by redsky009 View Post
    Therein lies the problem.... you can't rely on the judgement of the inflicted over their vice, its physically and psychologically addictive. Many smokers are considerate, but many aren't and a lot can't smell the smoke anymore - the smell remains and sticks to clothes very easily in not very well ventilated areas (like peoples houses in winter).
    I agree and that's the problem and one that won't change, the ban will be great for employees and the majority of people.

RE: physically and psychologically addictive (I'm going slightly off topic not for discussion but just so people know my view on this). I don't believe it is physically addictive purely because I consider physicality to be derived mentally - I think Alan Carr touches sort of on this idea!

It just seems a pity 'user judgement' can't be enough.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    As far as I'm concerned, this ban can't come into force soon enough.

I understand the reservations about smokers having their rights infringed, but it hasn't bothered many smokers that they've been infringing other's rights to go for a meal or a quiet drink without being at least stunk out by the noxious vapours from other people's nasty little addiction. So, as far as I'm concerned, the boot looks like being on the other foot for a change.

Sure, many smokers are considerate and don't pollute non-smokers. Unfortunately, a fair few aren't so considerate. I've had a meal in a restaurant ruined many times by the acrid stench from cigarettes (or worse, pipes or cigars) many times, despite being sat in the non-smoking area. More than once, I've walked out half-way through a meal, and in that case, refuse to go back to that restaurant. Voluntary schemes just don't work.

So I wholeheartedly welcome a ban. If people want to poison themselves to get their fix, fine, providing they don't inflict it on me in the process.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread Information