Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HalfLife 2 : ATi is the only route...

Thanks
    yeh the fx5950 is the new name for the nv38. so glad i didnt get a nvidia after reading that and have my 9800pro waiting for hl2.

Thanks
    luckily i bought a 9700np instead of a nVidia... although there isnt really an nVidia card comparable to the 9700series

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Originally posted by jcoquillon
    Well my ti4400 was looking long in the tooth now any ways so I was planning on upgrading to a radeon before too long, looks like it's just confirmed that course of action
    All of the comments like this are exactly WHY these press releases are made, if you could say that all NVIDIA hardware was crap on one of the most highly anticipated games ever would you not make the most of it???.

OF course you would, i'm not an NVIDIA fan boy by a long shot but this is all MARKETING HYPE, where the hell is HL2 out anyway. Are we really going to see it before Christmas?.

This is all great for ATI, but when the demand really hits is there going to be stock for the demand?.

Great thread and its certainly worth a fair bit of thought about, shame we've got a few wayward comments on it tho...

And DarkMatter - i don't think NVIDIA have lost the plot at all, the TI4200 is still one of the best budget cards about, it was best seller for months on end in the mass market sector and made NVIDIA an absolute fortune, plus remember NVIDIA are more that just a graphics card company now, they've produced two very successful motherboard chipsets and i'm interested to see what they will come up for the AMD64.

Don't write off NVIDIA yet. The is still time for things to change yet....

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    Originally posted by TiG
    All of the comments like this are exactly WHY these press releases are made, if you could say that all NVIDIA hardware was crap on one of the most highly anticipated games ever would you not make the most of it???.
    TiG
    If I was about to publish one of the most highly anticipated games I most definately wouldn't say the major graphics card maufacturers hardware was crap. I'd want to sell my game not put obstacles in the way of people buying it. I'd only come forward and highlight problems if genuine issues exist. I think they do.

fingerbangin' your cat
    Thanks
    agreed - alot of GFX peeps are gonna hate that.....
    looks like the old soft-moddable 9500np i picked up a while back will be serving me well for some time ... roll on HL2

fingerbangin' your cat
    Thanks
    ahhhh sugar... repeat post soz

fingerbangin' your cat
    Thanks
    and again ... soz

DR
    Thanks
    To reflect this we now have a new Poll on the front page

Thanks
    If I was about to publish one of the most highly anticipated games I most definately wouldn't say the major graphics card maufacturers hardware was crap. I'd want to sell my game not put obstacles in the way of people buying it. I'd only come forward and highlight problems if genuine issues exist. I think they do
    They have a solution for this. You can buy an ATi card and get a FREE copy of HL2. Isn't that kind of them? This way ATi shift lots of cards thanks to Valve's 'benchmarks' and at the same time Valve shift copies of the 'lite' HL2.

cs nub
    Thanks
    all that im goin to say is WTB cheap *wink* ati card and selling 4200ti

Thanks
    well i heve to say this is funny, all the time ppl asked me what card to get i said go ati, a lot done the opposite claiming atis drivers suck, id go as far to say they are perfected, now.

nvidia had a lot of fanboys, they bought cards based on past performace, for example the gf4 ti4x00s. the gf2 was also very good card, as most of the profit is made when cards turn budget. i really hope nvidia get these problems sorted, cos this is sickeningly funny. (well i hate via crap, so they better bring out more decent chipets!)

i also think they are going WAY TOO FAR on marketing, trying to trick ppl into getting 256mb cards! more ram might be cheaper than faster ram, but sticking double the amount on there crappest cards is just silleh. ati have followed them with the 9200 256mb, its a good way for the extra money.

i have one very big question. so far nvidia 5900u has proved to be fastest in directx8 games, but only slightly. valve claimed hl2 will run on a geforce2? please correct me if im wrong.. so how the hell can hl2 be almost unplayable in directx8??????????
    id imagine hl2 wil have silmilar performace to doom3, although doom3 uses OGL, i currently get ~50fps in the alpha leak, my brother gets ~30 on a ti4400 (apart from that almost same spec machines) so what can ppl exect on doom3? which i also expect to be the better game - i disliked the annoying puzzels in original hl, without noclip i wouldnt have bothered.

i see the future of gaming very disturbing - hardware bought with massivly over exaggerted specs - fx5900u was good in dx8 so it must be in dx9. games themselves are getting crapper, the storys suck. havent they relised there doing something wrong with all these ppl (includig myself) stil playing counterstrike (which i soon wont - 1.6 :/ ) and TCPA will kill off all freedom and originality turning pcs into really, really really rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish consoles.

sorry for going bit off topic.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    I think I'm going to reserve judgment until proper 3rd party tests and analysis are complete..
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    how much more proper can they get? i admit they arnt perfect tests untill the games are released but i dont think it would be a good idea to compleatly ignore the results, and from previous pre release tests like these, the results dont change much.

Thanks
    • Trash Man's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LE Z77
      • CPU:
      • i5 2550k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB 1600 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Crucial SSD 1 x 1TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1.5GB 580 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet 680W E9
      • Case:
      • CM 830 Stacker
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 x 2
      • Internet:
      • 20mb IDNet ADSL
    Glad I just bought my 9800Pro

Living and dying laughing and crying
    Once you have seen it you will never be the same
    Life in the fast lane is just how it seems
    Hard and it is heavy dirty and mean

Thanks
    nvidia had a lot of fanboys
    Pot to kettle: You are black. You're saying ATi doesn't have a lot of fanboys? *looks at your Avatar*

Like someone said, reserve judgement until you can run it for yourself, on your own machine and with decent drivers.

Let's be honest, these benchmarks came from an ATi event. Even though they're from Valve it's kind of obvious they're in ATi's pocket with the "optimised for Ati" crap and the Radeon/HL2 bundles, etc. At least Carmack has some dignity and admits favouring Nvidia.

But anyway, I don't know why ATi fanboys are rejoicing so much, 60fps @ 1024x768 with no AA or AF and on a top of the range 2.8GHz P4 is hardly impressive. If anything HL2 will just make sure we invest in all future hardware.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    how much more proper can they get? i admit they arnt perfect tests untill the games are released but i dont think it would be a good idea to compleatly ignore the results, and from previous pre release tests like these, the results dont change much.
    I didn't say anything about ignoring the results, but delaying final judgment until some independent people can get a look at it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information