Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 6800 Fuzzy 2D Image Quality Issue

  1. #1
    csl
    csl is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Question 6800 Fuzzy 2D Image Quality Issue

    Firstly, hi - I'm new here.

    Now, I've recently bought a Gigabyte 6800 (the passive one), with the latest BIOS, running the latest official nV drivers - 66.93 I think.

    I occasionally get a problem where the 2D image quality drops in Windows, with noticeable text blurring and reduced sharpness and focus. As I'm running this on an LCD panel this drop in IQ becomes pretty obvious. Yet, switching to a different colour mode and back again to 32-bit solves the problem temporarily, as it sometimes returns after reboot.

    Although I've used Rivatuner to unlock the masked pipes/shader, I was still getting the same problem before, and I'm not overclocking/overheating it, so I guess it's probably a driver issue. As far as I know the desktop settings are set to the default driver values.

    Anyone know of any fixes/patches/updates that solves this issue, or should it just be a case of waiting for the updated official drivers?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Probably Poole
    Posts
    386
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts
    • Hottentot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q9550 at 3.8 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB
      • Storage:
      • SSD + HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7950
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650TX
      • Case:
      • CM HAF 932 (watercooled)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (x64)
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 2690WUXi
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10Mb
    Try checking the refresh rates the graphics card is running the LCD at. The LCD handbook should tell you the optimum refresh rate. (normally about 70Hz)

  3. #3
    csl
    csl is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Running at the usual 60Hz.

  4. #4
    Senior Trouble Maker muddyfox470's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    moving to Suffolk
    Posts
    3,103
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked
    46 times in 39 posts
    • muddyfox470's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit I-N73HD
      • CPU:
      • E4500
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb PC6400 Corsair ?
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Seagate 7200.12 500Gb and 1 x Hitachi 7k1000.b 750gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 4850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG-01e
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu D22W-1
      • Internet:
      • BT Home
    It is noticably profound in dvds etc???

    There is a problem with hardware/drivers on the 6800's whereby the 'video processor' is broken, and won't work properly!

    SO as in watching dvds you will get noticable lines and problems, NVidia is supposedly finding the problem but many forums inc this one have notes about the progress!
    One post here may help?!? http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=34033

    However i have never heard anything with problems such as that with text etc!!!

    Unenable some of the pixel pipelines or whatever you have enabled via riva tuner as these are probably causing the problem, despite you saying it was there before, as the ones are hardware masked for a reason, they are defective!
    Mac fancier > white macbook base spec .................. CS: muddyfirebang

  5. #5
    HEXUS.social member Agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    19,159
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    1,605 times in 1,044 posts
    The video processor shouldnt affect the 2D text, totaly different area of the GPU used for somthing different.
    I would have gone with Hottentot and guessed the refresh rate too.
    You didnt do the hz fix in rivatuner did you ?, doubt it would be that, but that would mess with the refresh rates too.
    Is it going via a DVI cable or normal Dsub ?
    Last edited by Agent; 04-01-2005 at 02:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

  6. #6
    csl
    csl is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Nope - nothing to do with DVD playback or games, as both run fine. It's just during general 2D Windows usage. It's not even consistent about when it pops up, just now and then I notice the lack or sharpness, then switch colour modes to 'reset' it.

    The default masked units make no difference whether masked/unmasked. If it was the defective units causing the problems then surely I wouldn't be able to quickfix by swapping modes, would it?

    Cheers for the help guys.

  7. #7
    csl
    csl is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent
    The video processor shouldnt affect the 2D text, totaly different area of the GPU used for somthing different.
    I would have gone with Hottentot and guessed the refresh rate too.
    You didnt do the hz fix in rivatuner did you ?, double it would be that, but that would mess with the refresh rates too.
    Is it going via a DVI cable or normal Dsub ?
    Nope, I haven't touched any refresh settings in Rivatuner, only the unmasking. It's running from the DVI.

    It's not a huge problem, as it rarely occurs, but it's still a little strange when it does, and needless to say this shouldn't occur.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    888
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    32 times in 29 posts
    Could it be the screen? I have a philips 15" LCD screen 35ms response connected to a Radeon 7200AIW with an analogue & not digital cable. Over time the screen can and does loose focus in a vertical band central to the screen. The auto recalibration button on the monitor fixes the problem until it returns. It's pretty obvious when it goes off focus but over days/weeks rather than hours so it never bothered me too much.

  9. #9
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    maybe screen on that one if its runninga proper dvi cable with no adapters it should run at 60hz, sounds like refresh rated in resolution but if its dvi its automatic to 60hz anyway try it at 75hz and see if your screen prefers that
    ASUS A8V deluxe wifi MB / AMD 64 3500+ Winchester CPU / 1GB Corsair extreme xms 3200 / Aopen geforce 6800GT 256MB Graphics card / Creative Audigy zs sound card / 200GB seagate SATA and 160GB seagate silent drives / Tagan 480UO1 psu / 19"TFT using DVI / HDD cooler / Fan controller / Viper gaming case / 9 fans and very modded!

  10. #10
    Banned myth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    alone in life
    Posts
    2,553
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by csl
    Firstly, hi - I'm new here.

    Now, I've recently bought a Gigabyte 6800 (the passive one), with the latest BIOS, running the latest official nV drivers - 66.93 I think.

    I occasionally get a problem where the 2D image quality drops in Windows, with noticeable text blurring and reduced sharpness and focus. As I'm running this on an LCD panel this drop in IQ becomes pretty obvious. Yet, switching to a different colour mode and back again to 32-bit solves the problem temporarily, as it sometimes returns after reboot.

    Although I've used Rivatuner to unlock the masked pipes/shader, I was still getting the same problem before, and I'm not overclocking/overheating it, so I guess it's probably a driver issue. As far as I know the desktop settings are set to the default driver values.

    Anyone know of any fixes/patches/updates that solves this issue, or should it just be a case of waiting for the updated official drivers?

    Thanks.

    I have the same problem! I even posted a pic of before and after the image went fuzzy!

    And guys its not his monitor or his cables...

    Edit: here you go...

    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...ighlight=vodoo
    Last edited by myth; 04-01-2005 at 07:38 PM.

  11. #11
    csl
    csl is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    myth - yep that's what it looks like. It's very strange isn't it? The fact you mentioned it might only happen when you go online just reminded me - I think I read about an incompatibility between java and the nV drivers, so hopefully the next driver release will cure this. Saying that, I can't seem to replicate the problem with any particular sites. myth - are there any sites that consistently cause this graphic weirdness?

  12. #12
    Banned myth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    alone in life
    Posts
    2,553
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by csl
    myth - yep that's what it looks like. It's very strange isn't it? The fact you mentioned it might only happen when you go online just reminded me - I think I read about an incompatibility between java and the nV drivers, so hopefully the next driver release will cure this. Saying that, I can't seem to replicate the problem with any particular sites. myth - are there any sites that consistently cause this graphic weirdness?

    nope, but it seems that when I have MSN messenger open, and firefox overlaps it, it tends to go fuzzy... but not always! And when I play a vid while surfing the net and a popup apears it goes fuzzy... Heck! Its always going fuzzy! When it hapens to you does your monitor flicker black first?

  13. #13
    csl
    csl is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    95
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    I'm not sure if it flashes black first, but I'll keep an eye out. I think it might, as though it's changing the resolution - that kind of effect? I've just updated my java runtime to see if it makes any difference.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Microsoft Support....
    By Devilbod in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 02:42 AM
  2. Image Quality on new cards :-)
    By Zak33 in forum PC
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24-11-2003, 09:51 AM
  3. Buying A Digital Camera...
    By TomWilko in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 23-11-2003, 11:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •