Thread: More Nvidia debacles?

Banned
    Thanks

More Nvidia debacles?

After the complete DEBACLE and Nvidia's APPALLING HANDLING of the broken VPU issue on the 6800GT/Ultra, we now have wonderful texture shimmering issue on the G70 (7800).

How long before Nvidia issue a press release saying: "Ooooh, nothing to do with us, its yer monitor! or yer eyesight! But not our GPU!
    Nvidia Disclaimer: But if you do have a problem please send us $39.99 and we send you a special driver to partly stop some (although not all) of the shimmering. For $49.99 you can get the Gold Edition which does the same thing but comes on 2 CDs! "

After the VPU debacle, I'm glad I made a decision never to buy another Nvidia card again unless Nvidia can prove that they're prepared to treat their customers better. Let's see how Nvidia deal with this one......

http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/g70_...rn/index_e.php

And before anyone asks, my history of cards have been Rage Fury, Matrox G400, TNT, Geforce, GF2, GF4, GF6800, GF6800GT, Intel Extreme and in future anything but Nvidia.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Thanks
    • oralpain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI "Blood Iron" P35-T2RL
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium E2140 @ 400x8 (3.2GHz), 1.375v
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 CL4 @ 500MHz (DDR 1000), 4-4-4-12-T2, 2.3v
      • Storage:
      • 2x Seagate ST3250410AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA 8800GTS (G92) 512 @ 783MHz core, 1836MHz shader, 1053Mhz memory, stock cooling 70% fan speed
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-500GB
      • Case:
      • Antec P182, with some small modifications
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VW222U
      • Internet:
      • Time Warner "Road Runner" Cable - 16 megabit downstream, 1 megabit upstream
    Meh, I thing you're over reacting.

Unchecking the "anisotropic filtering optimisations" and "trilinear optimization" option always fixed any texture shimmering for me, but I haven't used a G70 yet.

Rys
    Tiled
    Thanks
    The issue is more complex than just turning off the aniso filtering options and turning off trilinear opts. The driver basically undersamples down the mip chain when aniso filtering is on. And it samples the first mip texture earlier than it should, too. All this is in the Quality mode, I must point out.

The good thing is is that I've been working with NVIDIA (along with some other guys) to get it fixed. I won't give the game away just yet, since I've got an article to write on it, but they're going to do something about it pretty soon. Ben De Waal and the rest of the driver team are on it.

So NVIDIA will deal with it shortly. They know they undersample and earlysample (to coin two filtering phrases). Whether it's fixed completely is something else. Hopefully I'll have a driver drop to play with in due course.

The issue affects 6-series hardware too (G70 is just NV47, and the chip shares NV40's texfilter hardware).

Look out for the article soon(ish). To deny yourself good hardware on an issue that's easily fixed in a driver revision is, to be frank, taking the wee.
    MOLLY AND POPPY!

Thread Information