Thread: Asus PB5 deluxe mobo is o/heating (noob help!)

Registered+
    Thanks

Asus PB5 deluxe mobo is o/heating (noob help!)

Hi guys!

Well about 3 weeks ago i was playing BF2142 and i noticed that my fps were getting real slow etc. With me not having much time on on my pc to game because of my kids i basically just jump on and off with out a care so maintenance is out of the window lol!

Anyway i played a bit of CS:source and again noticed that the frames were going as low as 20! anyway i remembered that i had installed the asus temp reader and decided to start it up and to my horror the cpu temp was in the 80's! (mobo was around 38oC). When i took the side of the case off i noticed that my cpu fan had a large amount of crap attached to it, whoops! so after 10mins cleaning it i was good to go!

So im back on 2142 and then i get a siren noise, i quickly alt tab to d/top and notice that my mobo is in the red at 48oC but the cpu is still in the green at 42oC?! One thing is why was the cpu o/heating b4 and not the mobo? and now that i have cleaned the cpu fan thats ok but now the mobo decides to o/heat!?

Last thing is cooling and my case has basically none of that ill give u a quick bit of info:

gpu has an artic cooler and i have a fan directly underneath sat on the bottom of the case pointing to my card. I have 1 fan attached to the back of my case extracting hot air outwards and my cpu fan has the stock fan on (i did not fit that small fan you get with the board as it did say if you have a cpu fan installed it would interfere with the system stability).

Where should i go from here? basically where should i stick extra fans? my case isn't the best but i have been looking at this one from overclockers?:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CA-065-AN

now if i get that what extra fans should i put in? i am on a budget unfortunately so water cooling etc is a no no.

my current temps are

cpu:42
    Mobo:35

my rig is as follows:

Intel Core 2 DUO E6400|ASUS P5B Deluxe Mobo|2Gig Corsair XMS2 DDR2 5400|ATI CONNECT3D X1900XT 512MB|Hiper 580w Psu

sorry for the big a$$ post and thx to any1 who will take the time out to help me

p.s. Oops can an admin take the other post i made down as i had page can not be displayed when submitting, thx

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20
    well those new temps are not TOO high but they are also not great. and im not too sure about your motherboard overheating that is quite strange, the temp your stating doesnt seem like a particualy dangerous temp for under load.
    you sure the psu fan is spinning correcly maybe thats what the siren is telling you?

I would recommend replacing the stock cooler on your CPU. if you want to keep the budget down go for arctic cooling but if you want more performance go with a heatsink tower such as the scythe ninja or thermaltake and fit a 120mm fan on it.

When organising your computer airflow is quite importaint to keep things like cables tidy and out of the way. the best way to organise your fans is to create airflowing in through the front at the bottom, past all of the hdds and pci cards up past the psu northbridge and memory and then hot air out at the back just below the psu (or if possible on the top of the case).

That case that you have suggested seems like a pretty good deal and may solve a lot of the porblems you are having. Only thing is a lot of people do complain about overclockers and thier customer services. At the same time how likely is it you wouldnt need to send a case back

If you decide to put extra fans on look at the sharkoon golfballs from scan.co.uk

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=373995

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=373993

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=290839

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=290840
    Last edited by Biscuit; 19-03-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thx Biscuit for the help, really appreciated m8

Well the only indication that i got when that siren sounded was that the mobo was in the red whilst the cpu was still in the green. As far as i was aware it was the mobo o/heating.

Think i'll go with that case though but i will check out those links you left, thx m8 for those they will come in real handy.

Again thx.

Thanks
    Don't you have the fan you get to go on the mosfets (which is connected to the northbridge via the heatpipe)? Mine sits at around 45-48 under constant load too (without that fan), so it's nothing unusual.

Taking off the heatsink from the northbridge and mosfets, cleaning off the thermal pad thingy from the heatsink (I left the one on the mosfets), and then reapplying some fresh and reattaching knocked mine down a couple of degrees, so I'm happy with that.
    Last edited by this_is_gav; 19-03-2007 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20
    no problems. Might be worth having a look around scans website. ebuyer and micro direct are pretty good too, might be worth a check incase any other case else catches your eye. Personally i like aluminium cases just gotta make sure you have intake at the front which mine doesnt (time to get the drill out)

when i said about keeping cables tidy i forgot to mention that the best thing to do it with is cableties! (these could also be used to keep you kids away fromt he pc)

Registered+
    Thanks
    Haha cheers biscuit! those cableties for the kids! why didn't i think of that lol!

thx again Bisc, and yeah i think ill have a ponder on ebuyers as i do recall having to send an artic cooler back to OC'rs which took over a month to get back!

Hey gav...you mean the fan that sits on here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...sP5BDeluxe.jpg

i haven't fitted that as the instructions state that if you have a cpu fan that it would interfere with that causing system instability....or is that a load of bs?

cheers lads.

Thanks
    Well stick it on and monitor the temps of the CPU

If they increase dramatically, then yeah, it interferes with the CPU cooling

I wouldn't imagine there'll be much difference though - couple of degrees at load perhaps. As I said, I've never used mine - never needed it, and like my quietness, and expect this fan to be comparatively loud.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Weird lol! cpu is running at 52 and the mobo at 35oC fully loaded! the only thing is is that my GPU is now hitting 75! i know this is ok but im sure it wasn't reaching those temps b4 lol. My card has an artic cooler fitted but i also have a fan right underneath that blasting cool air onto it, could that be making the card o/heat? easiest thing to do is to unplug that fan i suppose.

oh well just babbling here hehe.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20
    i wouldnt worry about that temperature for an XT they always are stupidly hot. If it is really abnormal then the only other thing i can suggest is replacing the heat paste. i mean it doesnt sound like you have had the system long enough for it to need something like that.

I doubt the fan would make the card overheat although i suppose itcould be disrupting the flow. Very unlikely if it is pointing directly at it though

Registered+
    Thanks
    Yeah that's what i thought Bisc, my x800xt was the same. And your right my set up is only from august last year.

thx again bud for the info and help.

Thread Information