Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS Socket 939

AMD 3400+

20G IDE HDD
    120G IDE HDD

2 x 256 MB RAM (sad i know)

GeForce 6200 LE PCI-E

and 2 cd rom/burner drives.

Here's my problem.

I just bought a new mobo and cpu from newegg, put em in the computer, and slapped the windows xp pro disc in the cd rom drive. The windows blue screen comes up, i delete both partitions and create new ones on both hard drives, then create new ones. I select the 20GB hard drive and it formats the drive, and installs windows. Restarts like regular after the install, so i take the disc out, and an error comes up which says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER." So, thinking there was an error, i do it all over. Yet again, same error message. This was frustrating, so I just take it and slap it into my other computer, and install windows with ease. So then, i put it back into the original computer, and boot it up to find that the same error message comes back up. I have no idea what to do. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

~Chad~

Thanks
    Have you reset the bios to boot from H/d disk instead of the cd as if not it will be looking for the cd which isnt there.

Thanks
    yup, tried that, ive also disabled cd boot in bios to see if that would help and still nothing. Now, (friend here) What i think the problem might be and dunno if u guys would know hwo to help is the fact that we couldn t reformatte the HDD using the current setup as listed above, we had to take the HDDs out, put them in a working computer, and reformatte them there. The problem is when we try with this rig it goes all good, we can delete the partitions/install windows initially, but then when it has to restart the computer to go into the actual finalizing process...the one with the actual windows logos and look to it, not the blue screen of death looking one, it just kinda...restarts the whole process. Uhmm, so yea, it goes through, does all the partition stuff, then when it needs to restart it does but then it doesn t recognize what it had just done and we have to do it all over again...it won t let us get to the windows finalizing process, could that be a problem being these HDDs were reformatted on a different comp, and if so how in the heck* can we get them to install properly without having to restart and lose everything =/

Thanks
    Any other thoughts ?? Newegg doesn't give tech support or else i'd call them :\

Thanks
    Cant think of anything else to solve your problem apart from restarting from the beginning, ie reformat the disk without partitioning and just do a straight forward install from there and if this works repartition afterwards.

Have you checked for bios updates? and I presume the hard drives are being recognised in the bios by that I mean after installation the drives are still being seen in the bios if not then you could have a faulty bios. good luck

Registered+
    Thanks
    have you tried "fdisk /mbr" might be a currupted master boot record

Thanks
    Sounds like it's set up in BIOS to boot from the drive without Windows installed on it. Try running it with just the one drive connected to confirm this. If it is, play with BIOS until it boots from the correct drive.

Another cause could be the jumper settings on the drives (master, slave, cable select) and where they are connected on the IDE cable.

FYI - the end connector should go to the master IDE drive and the middle one to the slave.

Thanks
    This sounds really stupid but just in case. You haven't left non bootable floppy in your FDD, have you?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by notsobig View Post
    This sounds really stupid but just in case. You haven't left non bootable floppy in your FDD, have you?
    Thats what I was about to say heh, on your POST screen press the button that lets you choose the boot device for that boot, on my motherboard it is f12 but this can vary from board to board, select the hard-drive that the os is loaded on to, if it boots that way then it is a problem with your bios trying to boot from the wrong device.

Hope you manage to figure it out.

Splash
    Alternatively... (and this isn't intended as flamebait, but is entirely possible) your machine is currently trying to boot from the 120Gb drive, but the bootloader is on the 20Gb drive (or vice versa)

Take the 120Gb out, check that the remaining (20Gb) drive is set to master on it's channel by checking in the BIOS. If it IS then install Windows. Once install is completed shut down the machine, install the other drive ensuring it's slave (double check the jumpers) if on the same channel as the other drive, go into Windows, right click My Computer and select Manage. Goto Disk Management and you should see both drives - partition your 120Gb drive as required.

Do post back and let us know if this helps.

Thanks
    Alright guys. I sent it back to newegg so i dont know if this works. But this is the response i got back from the manufacture

Dear Chad:

Please follow the BIOS update instructions in the ReadMe1st file to update to the latest BIOS. Latest BIOS can be download from the link below. Once you have successfully updating to the latest BIOS then go back in the BIOS by pressing the Del key at the Winfast's logo screen and select Load Optimized Defaults, then F10 to save & exiit. Also set the boot sequences in Advanced BIOS Features to First Boot Device = removable, Second Boot Device=CDROM, and third Boot Device = Hard Disk. Now try to re-install winxp again.

BIOS File & instructions:
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/en-us/...D=en-gb0000506

The reason im posting it here is so anyone else with the same damn problem can get it fixed and not get frustrated like i did and just sent it back. I looked everywhere on the internet and no solutions were found but threads like this were everywhere. I hope this solves a lot of peoples problems in the future.

Thread Information