Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overclock upsets on-line gaming

Thanks

overclock upsets on-line gaming

hi guys and girls
    i have a go stepping q6600 overclocked to 3.2 in an asus p5b deluxe with 2 gig of crucial pc2-8500 memory running with timings of 5-5-5-18. graphics are via a bfg 8800gts 640mb. the system is water cooled and trouble free- untill i take it over 3.2 and try to play cod4 on-line. i have benchmarked and stress tested it up to 4.0 with no problems but frame rates on in cod4 drop from 125 average to an un-playable 10 to 12 if i go beyond the sweet spot of 3.2. i have tried different memory and played with the timings but no joy my isp is virgin media and i get almost 20 kbps download speeds. i to your superior knowledge and humbly ask for some
    thanks, basha.

Thanks
    • Fuzion's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY X38-T2R
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz - 425*8
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix Tracer 5-5-5-18 2T @425.5Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Maxtor 320GB Sata II
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte 9800GTX 512MB @742.5/1210 [2420]
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster M850 Watts
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker 832 Nvidia Edition
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns.G 19" and Samsung SyncMaster 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin [Suckage] Media 4MB DL-1.23Mbps UPL-50Kbps

Re: overclock upsets on-line gaming

first things first on COD 4 online don't run high res...set all settings off and texture set to high, turn AA off too.

i have mine set to 125FPS at 1440x900@75!

all graphical settings are set to either off or low except textures, also go in console and type in /r_DrawDecals 0. This gives you no graffiti es on the wall so you'll save a few FPS on that.

personally i force my game trough the nvidia settings, set all to off or low and turn AA and AF to x16 for matches and public mode.

PS i have a 9800 gtx maybe try and scale your game down tbh!

Thanks
    • arthurleung's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E (Rampage Formula 0902)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 3.6Ghz 1.2V
      • Memory:
      • A-Data DDR2-800 2x2GB CL4
      • Storage:
      • 4x1TB WD1000FYPS @ RAID5 3Ware 9500S-8 / 3x 1TB Samsung Ecogreen F2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeCube HD4870 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Server 2008 Standard
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp 2709W + 2001FP
      • Internet:
      • Be*Unlimited 20Mbps

Sounds like your Q6600 overheated and the CPU throttle down to like 10% clock speed. Something faulty with your water cooling setup?
    Workstation 1: Intel i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz / X58 / 12GB DDR3-1600 / HD4870 512MB / Antec P180
    Workstation 2: Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz / X38 / 4GB DDR2-800 / 8400GS 512MB / Open Air
    Workstation 3: Intel Xeon X3350 @ 3.2Ghz / P35 / 4GB DDR2-800 / HD4770 512MB / Shuttle SP35P2
    HTPC: AMD Athlon X4 620 @ 2.6Ghz / 780G / 4GB DDR2-1000 / Antec Mini P180 White
    Mobile Workstation: Intel C2D T8300 @ 2.4Ghz / GM965 / 3GB DDR2-667 / DELL Inspiron 1525 / 6+6+9 Cell Battery

Display (Monitor): DELL Ultrasharp 2709W + DELL Ultrasharp 2001FP
    Display (Projector): Epson TW-3500 1080p
    Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX550 5.1
    Headphones: Etymotic hf2 / Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro

Storage: 8x2TB Hitachi @ DELL PERC 6/i RAID6 / 13TB Non-RAID Across 12 HDDs
    Consoles: PS3 Slim 120GB / Xbox 360 Arcade 20GB / PS2

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzion View Post
    first things first on COD 4 online don't run high res...set all settings off and texture set to high, turn AA off too.

i have mine set to 125FPS at 1440x900@75!

all graphical settings are set to either off or low except textures, also go in console and type in /r_DrawDecals 0. This gives you no graffiti es on the wall so you'll save a few FPS on that.

personally i force my game trough the nvidia settings, set all to off or low and turn AA and AF to x16 for matches and public mode.

PS i have a 9800 gtx maybe try and scale your game down tbh!

so your basiclaly saying you can only run at a max of 75 fps due to your monitor, but you choose to downspec all the settings so it shows 125fps/

correct me if im wrong, but all your going to get out of that is horrible screen tear and a 50fps going to waste, unless you enable vsync, then your still wasting 50 fps as the monitor is incapable of showing them

why spend all that money for a game that could look really nice to lower settings to get phantom framerates ?

i hope the poster ignores your advice as its not very good.

i run cod4 1920x1200 res with all settings to max, it looks bloody fantastic and i have a great online experiance, instead of making it look like BF1942.

Thanks
    • shadowmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Kingston SSD V series 64GB + Samsung F3 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 5870 1GB in Crossfire
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1200W Dark Power Pro
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker 832 SE
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x BenQ G2222HDL 21.5inch 1080p
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

Quote Originally Posted by greyskull View Post
    i get almost 20 kbps download speeds. i to your superior knowledge and humbly ask for some
    thanks, basha.

20 kbps, isn't that a bit low for online gaming ?

Thanks
    • Fuzion's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY X38-T2R
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz - 425*8
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix Tracer 5-5-5-18 2T @425.5Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Maxtor 320GB Sata II
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte 9800GTX 512MB @742.5/1210 [2420]
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster M850 Watts
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker 832 Nvidia Edition
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns.G 19" and Samsung SyncMaster 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin [Suckage] Media 4MB DL-1.23Mbps UPL-50Kbps

so your basiclaly saying you can only run at a max of 75 fps due to your monitor, but you choose to downspec all the settings so it shows 125fps/

correct me if im wrong, but all your going to get out of that is horrible screen tear and a 50fps going to waste, unless you enable vsync, then your still wasting 50 fps as the monitor is incapable of showing them

why spend all that money for a game that could look really nice to lower settings to get phantom framerates ?

i run cod4 1920x1200 res with all settings to max, it looks bloody fantastic and i have a great online experiance, instead of making it look like BF1942.
    I guarantee you, you won't see as much with everything turned on...why? Lower graphics allows some of the textures to be cut and you can see them through. I don't get 75FPS what i meant by 75 was my refresh rate.

Ok explaining again in making more sense way...I am able to turn everything on and get about 180FPS on most maps, however; I decide to lower my graphics on purpose to boost my chances to kill people as i am able to see them in cheeky ways trough the walls, such as leg and weapons sticking out of the walls and other "hard" textures, that your aren't supposed to see trough.

I can help you set it up if you want...contact me on Xfire, my Xfire is zarius2k. If it doesn't work then obviously something is wrong on the hardware side in which case you probably want to trouble shoot it out or box in which hardware is cause this effect.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

if your monitor refresh rate is 75hz then you wont be seeing more than 75fps

and a lot of screen tear.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoNz0 View Post

if your monitor refresh rate is 75hz then you wont be seeing more than 75fps

and a lot of screen tear.
    No, sorry, but this is wrong.
    The 75hz = 75FPS only comes into play with V-sync. Which is also a bit more complicated with TFTs and their pixel transition times.

http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardwa...er-700w-6.html
    Read my post at number 86.

The important bit:

Most TFT's expect an input of around 60hz. Refresh rate is not an indication of how many FPS a screen can do, only how many times a second the display is refreshed, including images that have not changed. Most TFT's require a signal of 60hz purely because its easier for them to manage. Refresh rate isn't used in the same context as they are on CRT screens. Pixel transition time is the important factor there and will be the limiting factor in how many FPS you can 'see' (or to be more accurate, how many you can perceive to be happening)

Disable V-sync (even on a TFT!) and you can get into the 100fps range if you have a system that can do it whatever game you choose.
    You seem to be getting confused with how many FPS can be processed by a game, and how many a screen can display, they are not the same (and I never claimed they were)
    A game will feel smoother at 100fps than at 30fps, even on a TFT, because the game is calculating more changes in the scene. This means when the monitor next comes to refresh the image that is displayed, it will be a more accurate scene of what is actually happening.

Edit - If you look at the transition time of pixels on any TFT, that will allow you to work out what's the theoretical maximum speed that it can show A full scene change, thus it is the nearest thing you can get to "how many FPS you can see on it" (although I can't stress how inaccurate that actually is). Of course, the transition blur between the two scenes will also help in showing any scene change, regardless of the FPS its being calculated at, which all helps in the illusion of animation/video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think FPS limitation in TFTs is not pixels physics, but LCD controller. VGA can send to it whatever amount of frames, but it will only output 60fps per 60Hz. So let's say VGA sends 120fps and every first (or second) gets dropped on the actual screen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CooperXS View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think FPS limitation in TFTs is not pixels physics, but LCD controller. VGA can send to it whatever amount of frames, but it will only output 60fps per 60Hz. So let's say VGA sends 120fps and every first (or second) gets dropped on the actual screen.
    A TFT has an input of 60hz due to what the controller is expecting. However, with V-sync off, FPS is not tied to the hz limitation - exactly the same as a CRT. Nothing changes there.

You can feed a TFT 200FPS, if you like, and it will feel a *lot* smoother than 60FPS provided V-sync is off.
    You are not "seeing" 200 unique FPS, because the pixel changing time will simply not allow it, but this does not mean there is not an advantage to rendering these frames. More frames being rendered = a more accurate scene when the image is updated.

It's very hard to grasp the entire "Frames per second" thing anyway, as your eye doesn't see in terms of "frames" but as a discrete method. When people do understand this, it works well for CRTs, but TFT's really are a different ball game (plus the fact that there is different types of displaying an image on a TFT).

Oh, and thats without getting into the entire interlacing thing
    What is deinterlacing? The best method to deinterlace movies is a good read for that.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

75 if v-sync on, and I find that with v-sync on it makes my mouse movements like jelly probably due to the pre-rendering, the same happened on Americas Army. I thought they had adjusted the game to make it harder to play but it was just my v-sync on. my 8800gts 512 and 9800gtx don't give no tearing without v-sync on it's just fine.

For online and multiplayer with CoD4 you can have it look nice if you want but then it's harder to spot enemies unless you are cheating
    Also with CoD4 being made from a quake engine the fps counts. If you don't have 125fps stable you cannot jump as high as if you did. For single player I turn everything high so it all looks fantastic but for multiplayer and clan matches I like my low texture and details but res stays the same. I keep shadows on to help see enemies around corners.

So basically for me SP full -> MP Med/Low

You can test the fps jump thing if you want as well. If you go on to a server with Vacant loaded join S.A.S then type /cg_drawfps 1 in console and make sure you have 125fps in the top right corner. From the offices try and jump onto this table

Now type /com_maxfps 100 and then try the same jump and you will fail all the time.

Fuzion's giving advice on settings for playing with the best settings to kill. If you want to have the nicest looks then turn everything on. Airstrikes do slow you down a bit though with everything on full.

Jay
    Thanks

I think people do not realise that in most online fps frames per second also means how many times your system sends data to the server. the higher the fps the better chance you will have of hitting an object.
    □ΞVΞ□

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I think people do not realise that in most online fps frames per second also means how many times your system sends data to the server. the higher the fps the better chance you will have of hitting an object.
    You need that in CoD4, what with the anti-lag and pixel collision hit registration...
    Stick to hitboxes!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    That depends on the engine.
    A lot of games engines will have an upper limit that the server will not go over (or tickrate as its commonly known), and provided you can reach this limit you will have no advantage over anyone else at the limit.

You do have an advantage over people with a lower tickrate, as they get less updates in the game.

For this reason a games engine will normally have FPS tied to tickrate / netspeed in some way. You can usually disable this - but this is where issues between the scene (client side) and what's actually happening on the server can become a problem. You can usually see this in physics aspects of the game, as the client tries to render more frames than it has information for. When it extrapolates data and then finds out it was incorrect, it will update it into its correct location, causing it to 'jerk into place' on the clients machine.

The Source and Unreal engine have some differences when it comes to client-server communication for example.
    Last edited by Agent; 01-06-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    75 if v-sync on, and I find that with v-sync on it makes my mouse movements like jelly probably due to the pre-rendering, the same happened on Americas Army. I thought they had adjusted the game to make it harder to play but it was just my v-sync on. my 8800gts 512 and 9800gtx don't give no tearing without v-sync on it's just fine.
    Yup, pre-rendering can be an arse

If the engine allows it - turn pre-rendered frames to 1. I know the Unreal engine defaults to 3, which is horrid sometimes.
    By being at 1, it will also help with any tearing issues. However, with a fast enough card this is rarely an issue

V-sync = off is king though, IMO.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    Yup, pre-rendering can be an arse

If the engine allows it - turn pre-rendered frames to 1. I know the Unreal engine defaults to 3, which is horrid sometimes.
    By being at 1, it will also help with any tearing issues. However, with a fast enough card this is rarely an issue

V-sync = off is king though, IMO.
    It will only make the mouse jelly if you run a game which your graphics card and pwn basically. I had CoD4 settings down when I had the V-Sync on and that was the main problem. Had I kept it busy with full details I wouldn't have noticed it. Same goes with Americas Army, my current card can belt it on that so no V-Sync is needed, although on my 6600GT it didn't affect the mouse.

So yeah remember if your card is way more powerful than your game/settings then v-sync will cause lots pre-rendered frames and laggyness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information