Thread: Database for car repair log?

Registered+
    Thanks

Database for car repair log?

Hey folks!

I've been wanting to do this for a while but never know how to approach it.

For the last couple of years I've kept a log of all car repairs and maintenance but this has been in notepad with a simple date and description.

I'm new to databases and wondered if that could be used for such a purpose? I have MS Excel & Access and also the Openoffice equivalents, but on both couldn't find any kind of wizard or template to help put a database together for this purpose.

Any ideas or sites on how I could guide myself through setting something like this up?

It feels odd because I've built a couple of websites using Dreamweaver and I can't even do something pretty basic like this!!

One Great Ordeal!
    Thanks

Re: Database for car repair log?

Well you need to identify first what data you want to store about each car.

For example

Each line is an attribute / column, it might be a good idea to draw what i've said below as a table to get an idea about what I'm on about....

CAR_TABLE: = Full listing of every detail about a car
    Car reg = PK
    Vin plate
    mot expiry date
    Make
    Model
    Spec
    Engine Size

CAR_LINK_MAINTENANCE_TABLE = Links a car with maintenance you have performed on it
    LINK_ID = PK + Auto number
    Car reg*
    Maintenance ID*

MAINTENANCE_TABLE = Describes the maintenance you have performed on a car
    Maintenance ID = PK + Auto number
    Comment field - description of Maintenance work carried out
    Date

PK = Primary key which is unique entry that cannot be repeated more then once within the table
    * = Foriegn key references a PK and entry into a FK field must exist as a PK within the table being referenced. eg car reg in car table is a345 7GH, now if I tried to enter *exactly* that into the same field within the second table it would be a valid entry. If however i try and type a car reg which isnt contained within the car table I will not be able to do so. As there will be no valid relationship.

The above is very, very basic. I haven't got into specifying the data type of each attribute, nor have I looked into whether my quick design is normalised. Database design is a science, and getting it right is difficult.

Bear in mind as well that will want to develop a user friendly front end to the database. Access (not sure about open offices offering) offers forms which can help you input data quickly and easily into the database.

I'd strongly recommend if this database your asking about is going to be part of a business I'd get a professional in to design it.

There are people on the forums who work with databases day in day out who could give far better insight then I can. I'm only commenting from an Academic perspective.
    Last edited by digit; 02-12-2008 at 11:16 PM.

3. Received thanks from:

Smasher (02-12-2008)

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Quote Originally Posted by Smasher View Post
    It feels odd because I've built a couple of websites using Dreamweaver and I can't even do something pretty basic like this!!
    Don't - a proper useful database is something I can only dream of at work. We currently use a system that is not fit for purpose, but don't have the time/money to invest in gutting the whole thing and starting again - it makes every day a pain trying to find out data and find where to input data.

As digit suggests, consider exactly what needs to be stored and whether you need a front end to help make it more usable.

It's probably worth running the 2 systems until you are happy to migrate, and don't forget to backup that notepad file

One Great Ordeal!
    Thanks

I meant to mention you could interface with the database through a web browser. Once the database is created and functionally 'works', you could code the front in php + html or alternatively asp + html. You've mentioned already you are happy putting together web pages.

Its one line of code for either asp or php to create a connection to a database and then from there you then interface with the database by nesting user captured input in sql commands. But be very careful about validating input, you don't want sql injection etc happening.

ASP.net + database connection: http://www.w3schools.com/aspnet/aspnet_dbconnection.asp - I didn't do it that way .. but looks more robust then what I was taught

PHP + database connection: http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/php_db_odbc.asp
    Last edited by digit; 03-12-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks

php/mysql is fairly easy. I did a short course in dbase many years ago, forgotten everything now but it all came pretty easy. When I started playing with one of the windows dbase programs it was a pain, I didn't want to learn the program just assemble a quick dbase to output pictures and part numbers[bike parts]. It was pretty simple in mysql/PHP. To test it, or try it, you don't need webhosting with php you can use something like the PHPtriad[apache,mysql and php]. The online manuals are good for php and mysql.
    immer in der Scheiße, ist es nur die Tiefe, die sich verändert.

Thread Information