Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem + horrendous experience with Overclockers

Thanks

problem + horrendous experience with Overclockers

Hey guys, I thought I would share this story with you for laughs and to serve as a warning if you thought about using Overclockers.co.uk to order anything.

On tuesday last week, I ordered a system build from Overclockers. The Titan Xenomorph seen here : overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-237-OK

I selected next day delivery via DPD. The system didnt turn up the next day so I called them up only to be greeted by "it takes 24-48 hours to build, overclock and test the systems before delivery". OK I thought, fair enough, it does state this on their order pages but I didnt actually notice. So I apologized and waited.

Thursday arrives. Its now over 48 hours since I ordered, and the system hasnt been shipped.. so I call up again (after sending 2 webnotes that didnt get replied to.) I was told this time that an item inside the build was out of stock, and that i could either cancel the order, upgrade the item missing (it was the grahics card) or cancel. I chose to upgrade the card. The guy said the system had been built and was waiting for the new graphics card and is now shceduled to be posted at the end of thursday for delivery on friday. A little concerning is that they didnt attempt to contact me about this, I had to do chase it up myself.

Friday comes. No system. Called up again to be told that the system has not been built yet, and that they didnt know why. His exact words where "I dunno why it hasnt been built yet, it still shows in our warehouse queue." Naturally by this point I was angry. I complained that I had been lied to yesterday by the previous guy on support, who told me it was due to be at my doorstep right now. He apologized and said he would see to it himself that my build was finished today and upgraded my delivery to Saturday delivery. He then said we will contact you when your item is dispatched, ring us if you dont hear anything by 4. My response naturally was "cant you ring me? im the customer, I shouldnt really be chasing up my order". Friday night did eventually come and the order got dispatched for sat delivery which arrived promptly (god bless DPD delivery 1 hour window!).

So, here is the problem:

Installed windows, booted up the system and installed a few applications and bam. System powers off. Dead as a dodo and wont start up. I am now sitting here looking at this system thinking how horrendous this is, and I feel like I should return it for a refund rather than to get it fixed.. or perhaps I should post it to SCAN and see if they can fix the problem for me to get one up over overclockers for being so useless (of course, I would gladly pay). I simply have no motivation to go through their awful customer service once again to get this problem fixed. So a summary, order was 4 days late, lied to several times and order was messed up, then system arrived faulty. AVOID!

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: problem + horrendous experience with Overclockers

Reject it IN WRITING (fax will do - e mail will at a pinch - phone will not) within seven days of receipt under the distance selling regulations. They should then refund anything paid and arrange collection.

If they refuse under the DSR, then reject it as unfit for purpose as faulty/bad design and insist on a refund as the timescale before failure is so short. However under a moth and they should give a refund.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Jay
    Thanks

I have to ask why oh why did you buy from these guys? They are very well known for bad customer service.
    □ΞVΞ□

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

When I saw the subject line of your post, I was expecting another tail of woe and horrendous customer service. As it is, I think you have got off lightly.

Firstly the build took a little longer than they promised, but all things considered, not that long, and compared with other people's experiences, nothing like the weeks of waiting and no communication that some people have suffered. Secondly, the system was DOA, which is basically bad luck which could happen with any retailer.

Now, If I had brought the system from Scan, I would send it back and let them fix it, confident in the knowledge that they would do so quickly, with a smile, and would probably give me something by way of apology.

But seeing as this is Oc.uk, and their reputation here is infamous, I would send it straight back for a full refund, and re-order from someone else.

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gig DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthStream 2 600 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

They are absolutley useless. It's well documented here that the support (or lack there of) is about as much use a pair of sun glasses to a bloke with one ear.

If I were you'd I'd get them to give you a refund, get them to collect it and then use the money they refund you to make a post in the hardware section of exactly what your requirements are, usually Cat-The-Fifth will be first to post and help out and then you order the bits from Scan/Ebuyer and built it yourself and save yourself some money into the bargain

I had a bad experience with them last year when I ordered a 1 GB 4850, it shipped to me with a faulty DVI socket. I tried it on two monitors on 3 different PC's with the same fault (The screen would just flicker when doing anything) They accepted an RMA, tested it and sent it back no fault found.

So whilst it plays games fine I still have the flicker which has now spread to both of the DVI sockets. Not happy and thats the last time I buy anything from that bunch of crooks.

Thanks

Had to laugh at some of the comments, your all spot on about it.

Not sure at this point what I want to do. Starcraft 2 is out on tuesday, and that is what this system is for. I am going to ring tomorrow morning at 9 and see what they say first. I am hoping they dont ask me to poke around in there to find the problem over the phone, will I be able to reject this if they ask me to start removing cards and trying it etc? If they say they will repair it free of charge I want them to collect it and have it back to me by tuesday or at latest wednsday, if they can't make that happen I will say I am not happy with the service I received and the system being faulty is not good enough 'refund'. I just know I am going to be challenged in some way with the refund, can feel it in me waters. How does their refund generally work? I post the system back and they refund me when it gets there?

Grumble, groan... I really want to refund but I also want my system for the SC2 launch and not 2 weeks from now

(reason I ordered from OC was that the system had an offer on and it worked out cheaper than it would to buy all the parts myself so I put all the risk aside stupidly and ordered it)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrjo View Post
    <---snip

Grumble, groan... I really want to refund but I also want my system for the SC2 launch and not 2 weeks from now
    snip--->
    So sort out which is the most important to you. Personally I'd look at the refund and worry about a game later - but it's your call. There are time limits on rejection - seven days under DSR, but if you leave it too long under faulty goods, you probably have around a month, then they can take it back for repair.

Given their reputation? - well to me the choice is a no-brainer! .
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Thanks Pete - So what should I say over the phone tomorrow? I think I should indeed refund on the system. I have only had the system for 1 business day. My main concern is that I installed windows on it and such, will that be a problem? I am thinking they may try and wriggle out of a refund by saying that I fiddled with it or someth. stupid.

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

Find out their fax number, if you don't have one at home then I'm sure you can fax off your letter of rejection to them at your local library for a small charge. Then once thats done phone them and confirm they have the fax and then make arrangements to get it sent back to them.

If you have to pay for it to go back them then insist that once they have got it back that they must refund you the cost of you shipping it back to them because they delivered something to you thats faulty and not fit for purpose, that and its an out of pocket expense that you shouldn't have to pay for.

Once they have it back complete with all packaging phone them, confirm they have it and ask them firmly to refund your money. If they say heaven't got it you'll have proof from which ever courrier you used that they signed for it, so at least you can call their bluff if they play this card.

Once you've had your money just relax, goto a reputable place like Scan and see what they have to offer you for your hard earned cash.

Get it done sooner rather than later, the longer you sit on this the harder its going to be to get anything done and you'll be stuck with a PC you don't trust and aren't happy with and will just not use it thus leaving you with a very expensive paper weight and a very nasty taste in your mouth.

Thanks

Ah. Just had a fiddle myself... Took out the GPU, and it turns on. I'm actually now thinking of counting my losses and just buying another GPU from elsewhere, then sending the faulty GPU off to be fixed by nvidia themselves..

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

Dude seriously don't even consider doing that, if something else goes wrong with it later just imagine how bad the service is going to be. You've already had a shocking experience just ordering the system and getting it to you.

The problem might not be with the GPU, so by the time you get one ordered, and in the PC and it still doesn't work you will have ran out of time on the DSR.

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by mrjo View Post
    ... then sending the faulty GPU off to be fixed by nvidia themselves..
    nVidia, (or the card manufacturer) won't want to deal with you, they will want to deal with a retailer who has already processed an RMA, and confirmed that the part is definitely not working, and it is not some sort of user error. That puts you back at the mercy of Oc.UK, where you don't want to be.

I think you should definatley send the whole system back under DSR. Also as Behemoth reports, Oc.UK have a habit of pretending that there was no fault found when you return stuff for an RMA, so as this is a high value system, I would consider paying a local PC repairer to certify that the system will not power on (or whatever),

Just make sure the repairer does not open the system, and says they did not, as otherwise Oc.UK could claim that their warranty is void due to an unauthorized repair. You are basically using the repairer as an independent witness to the fact that the system does not work, so that if Oc.UK start arguing, you can just call your credit card company for a charge-back safe in the knowledge that you are protected.

Synergy leverager
    Thanks
    • Mutley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel QX9650 (OC'd to 3.8Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (4x2GB) G.Skill DDR2-1066 8500CL5D
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD & Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infiniti 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P-182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • 60MB Cable (Virgin)

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Dude seriously don't even consider doing that, if something else goes wrong with it later just imagine how bad the service is going to be. You've already had a shocking experience just ordering the system and getting it to you.

The problem might not be with the GPU, so by the time you get one ordered, and in the PC and it still doesn't work you will have ran out of time on the DSR.
    QFT

Seriously, I know how much wanting to play a new game (especially as potentially epic as SC2) can mean, but you really should put that to one side and concentrate on getting your PC sorted out properly. You WILL regret it if you don't do this.

And has been said several times, WRITE to them to reject it, don't do this over the phone.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

+1, its DOA, terrible customer service.

Send it back. If your worried about cash flow and the like, I'm sure that one of the other suppliers would probably charge a non-refundable deposit, and get building your PC, just waiting for your freefund to free up your funds, so you can buy.
    Last edited by peterb; 26-07-2010 at 12:07 PM.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

I think you would be mad to keep the PC, It's as others have already said your only going to keep getting bad customer service, It would make perfect sense for you to get your refund and turn to scan, at least this way you know that if you have any trouble AT ALL that scan wont just try and flob you of.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Wow I'm surprised that this thread is still open, normally any mention of the word overclockers.co.uk, good or bad, and the thread lock key comes winging its way down from Hexus Heaven with no adequate explanation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information