Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop power supply

Thanks

Re: Laptop power supply

It's very unlikely a -1v difference would damage anything, just some DC-DC supplies refuse to work outside of a given voltage range.

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gig DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthStream 2 600 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

I think you'd be alright with that. At worst all that will happen is the battery won't charge properly but I suspect everything will be alright. The figures on the new supply aren't massively different from those on the old supply.

If the ampage had been alot higher I'd have sent it back but it's very very similar to what you had before.

3. Received thanks from:

AledJ (29-10-2010)

Thanks

Can hear a small buzzing noise (only when placed close to my ear) but that should be no problem should it?

Thanks

If it's not bothering you I wouldn't worry about it, it's just coil whine. The power brick for the PicoPSU on my server does the same thing.

6. Received thanks from:

AledJ (29-10-2010)

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gig DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthStream 2 600 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

Both supplies for my laptop make a noise like that, infact all the supplies for any laptop I've had have been noisey, really not much to get your knickers in a twist about

Thanks

Guys thank you I know some of my question are daft, but really don't want to mess anything up. So thanks again for your help !!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Both supplies for my laptop make a noise like that, infact all the supplies for any laptop I've had have been noisey, really not much to get your knickers in a twist about
    The noise is audible now but I think that may be due to its first use. My printer in power save mode make a small noise which irritates me, I end up turning the printer off until I need it.

Thanks

Just spoke to a friend who seems to think that the fact the new supply has DC output: 19V 3.42A, means the amps going in is too high. I'm a little confused as to whether this brick will cause any damage now.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Your friend is wrong.

The current rating (in Amps) is the maximum the PSU will supply, if the connected device only sucks up 2A, then there is nothing wrong with that. It is possible to do damage if the current rating is too low, but usually it just means that when in use the device will be using more power than it is getting so will continue to drain the battery even when plugged in. Or when not in use it will just take longer than normal to charge.

Think of it like a pipe: Voltage is the pressure and current is the diameter. Using pressure and diameter you can calculate the volume of water you can get from the pipe in a given amount of time. The same applies to electricity, voltage (V) x current (A) = power (Watt). Now the right voltage is required for all sorts of reasons, just like the right pressure in a piping system is required, too high and valves or flanges start to pop, too low and other equipment stops working. Current on the other hand is very flexible. A washing machine needs X amount of water an hour, and you are stuck with mains water pressure so you need the right size of pipe to supply that water, if it's too small you don't get enough through and the cycle takes far longer. A very large pipe and you have a higher potential volume of water per minute, but the internal piping of the washing machine will restrict that, so the maximum potential of the supply isn't used.

That make sense?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    Your friend is wrong.

The current rating (in Amps) is the maximum the PSU will supply, if the connected device only sucks up 2A, then there is nothing wrong with that. It is possible to do damage if the current rating is too low, but usually it just means that when in use the device will be using more power than it is getting so will continue to drain the battery even when plugged in. Or when not in use it will just take longer than normal to charge.

Think of it like a pipe: Voltage is the pressure and current is the diameter. Using pressure and diameter you can calculate the volume of water you can get from the pipe in a given amount of time. The same applies to electricity, voltage (V) x current (A) = power (Watt). Now the right voltage is required for all sorts of reasons, just like the right pressure in a piping system is required, too high and valves or flanges start to pop, too low and other equipment stops working. Current on the other hand is very flexible. A washing machine needs X amount of water an hour, and you are stuck with mains water pressure so you need the right size of pipe to supply that water, if it's too small you don't get enough through and the cycle takes far longer. A very large pipe and you have a higher potential volume of water per minute, but the internal piping of the washing machine will restrict that, so the maximum potential of the supply isn't used.

That make sense?
    Funkstar thanks I did say to him that even though the amp is higher the laptop would only take what it needed i.e if it needed 3.42A then it could have it. I'll tell him the good news.

He also said that because on the new bloc the output is : DC Output: 19V 3.42A , the DC means direct current so the bloc would put 3.42A into the laptop.

What about the voltage?? the old one is 20V output and the new one is 19V output.
    Last edited by AledJ; 29-10-2010 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks

1v should be within the DC-DC converter's tolerance, if it works it should be fine. And although it's already been well explained about the current - it's no different than an ATX power supply, just because it says 1kw doesn't mean it will always use that.
    I've asked plenty of seemingly obvious questions on this forum - it's nice to be sure!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    1v should be within the DC-DC converter's tolerance, if it works it should be fine. And although it's already been well explained about the current - it's no different than an ATX power supply, just because it says 1kw doesn't mean it will always use that.
    I've asked plenty of seemingly obvious questions on this forum - it's nice to be sure!
    Thanks for putting my mind at rest My friend just scared me when he said the difference could be harmful.

I did find this which also sent my head racing http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7113434AATgd5V

Just so long as the laptop is ok, im happy (not mine so don't want to kill it)

Thanks

Well the new one seems to have stopped working :| The laptop was in hibernation so got back into windows. Plugged the new one in and nothing grgrg Will now try to get an official one if I can. Got some numbers to call tomorrow.

Not sure what went wrong then
    Last edited by AledJ; 29-10-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by AledJ View Post
    He also said that because on the new bloc the output is : DC Output: 19V 3.42A , the DC means direct current so the bloc would put 3.42A into the laptop.
    Again, a complete misunderstanding of how electricity works

DC does indeed mean Direct Current, but that does not mean what he said it means. DC means that the voltage is at a constant level, either positive or negative, relative to the ground (usually 0v). AC on the other hand swings from +xxV to -xxV (UK mains swings from 240V to -240V). The speed which it does this is the frequency, in the UK this is 50Hz, in the US it is 60Hz.

AC is great because it can cope with long lengths of cable much better than DC can. However DC is more useful and more controllable. Hence why mains is AC and electronics are DC (vast simplification, but you get the idea).

For much more see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternating_current
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_current

Thanks

Thanks Funkstar! But the new bloc has given up the ghost :| No idea why or maybe the lower voltage was the issue.

Thanks

About that Yahoo post, yes, 1v is a big difference to components like CPUs but that 19/20v doesn't directly connect to anything. I also found a few interesting replies (and the third answer on this one) on Yahoo answers a while ago, don't believe everything you read! There is another DC-DC PSU inside the laptop that will change that voltage into 12v, 5v and so on then another type of PSU on the motherboard will supply very accurate voltages for anything 'sensitive' like the CPU. It might just be a duff power supply. Expect to pay a bit for the official ones, as I said earlier a universal one might be a good idea.

Thread Information