Thread: For anyone who still works with XP machines - recurring/massive lag issue

Thanks

For anyone who still works with XP machines - recurring/massive lag issue

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to throw this one out because I had an issue come across my path three separate times in the last couple of months on different XP machines I work with. It's an issue where the machine experiences massive sluggishness. If you're running XP and have any local lag issues this might be it.

When checking the processes under Task Manager one of the svchost.exe processes was found to be going flat out at 99-100%.

I've done some digging and found information with many others having experienced this in the last few months. It appears the svchost process in question is tied to Windows Update and the problem with it is a result of Windows Update being heavily linked to Internet Explorer. Basically, if IE is out of date it can adversely affect the performance of Windows Update.

Obviously, an immediate relief fix is disabling Windows Updates. However, if disabling updates isn't an option then the more permanent fix is to update IE. I've found that getting IE up to at least version 8 has sorted it for me so far.

Hope this helps anyone else who's battled this one.

Shout out to this Neowin thread which pointed the way forward (this post in particular).
    Last edited by Galant; 12-12-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: typo
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

2. Received thanks from:

g8ina (12-12-2013)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: For anyone who still works with XP machines - recurring/massive lag issue

Thanks, Galant.

I do have several XP machines still, though I don't have this problem. I also have Update turned off, but even so, it's one of those useful little nuggets of information to file away in the disorganised morass of jumbled snippets I call a memory.

Thanks
    • smargh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Xeon E5450 with 775-to-771 Mod
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25-M G2 80GB/Adaptec 3405 4x 2TB Ultrastar RAID1 / 1x 6TB Hitachi He6 / Dying 2TB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 750 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-560
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-A71
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2400WD
      • Internet:
      • Really Crap ADSL2 <3Mbit

"Updating IE" will not resolve the problem. It's inherent to the update mechanism on XP - it will max out 1 core during update detection. There is no way around it, aside from upgrading to Windows 7+.

The old PCs at my workplace suffer from this issue regularly, obviously particularly those with only 1 CPU core. If I recall correctly, there is a lengthy and in-depth Technet article/blog which explains the technical limitations of the XP update process.

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

IE9, XP? Presume that's a typo, IE tops out at v8 on XP doesn't it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
    IE9, XP? Presume that's a typo, IE tops out at v8 on XP doesn't it?
    Yup, IE9 has a Windows 7+ requirement.

Amusingly IE8 is 23+ % of the 56-ish % market share that IE has. When April 2014 rolls around it may be the case that those numbers start to see some change. It's about time that nearly a quarter of browser users moved to an application which (by then) will be 5 years since release.

Thanks

Oops, well spotted. Yes. 8. Edited.

And I can say I have seen a definite relief of this issue on machines I've worked with. It's more than possible there are scenarios where the situation isn't resolved, and maybe it will come back to haunt me, but so far I have managed to get it so that the svchost.exe drain doesn't take place like it used to.

I'll continue to monitor, but I have seen definite relief from this so far.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks

Thanks Galant, I was just about to check the forums for an answer to this very problem. Update temporarily disabled and able to work fine.

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Looks similar to my issue here;

http://forums.hexus.net/help-quick-r...-freezing.html

I disabled WU checking and the most recent Patch Tuesday has been and gone with no issues whatsoever.
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Splash

Apparently fixed in the latest bunch o'patches. Sadly I don't have an XP test machine these days, so I can't confirm.

EDIT: I tell a lie, thought that they'd killed Technet by now but seemingly not. Testing shortly

EDIT2: Certainly looks sorted: not breaching 10%cpu on a 1CPU, 1Gb VM while running WU.
    Last edited by Splash; 17-01-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Yup, seems to be fixed here too, just in time for XP to go EOL and my new W7 machines to arrive.

Thank you Microsoft!
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Thread Information