Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headline :: Microsoft to wipe another PS3 exclusive off the table with 360 add-on?

Thanks

Headline :: Microsoft to wipe another PS3 exclusive off the table with 360 add-on?

If the translation of Peter Moore's interview with a Japanese website is correct, Microsoft may play a major hand if the Blu-Ray format steams ahead of HD-DVD in the battle of the formats.

Check out the Headline

Flying prans are the flalalum Veles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Why not just offer a combi drive add-on? That would be even better, the PS3 can only play BR, the 360 can play both.

Veles on: Xbox live, My Halo stats
    Veles343 on: Xfire, Steam, BF2, BF2142
    My Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    Why not just offer a combi drive add-on? That would be even better, the PS3 can only play BR, the 360 can play both.
    Like it!

Thanks
    You haven't seen this then?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
    You haven't seen this then?
    Thanks for that, I'll add that in.

Thanks
    Not surprised really, selling a BR player would be giving money directly to the pockets of a competitor, which begs the question why so many big firms are backing BR when they didn't like UMD as it was made by sony. I suppose some of them are co-owners of the BR tech so they get royalties as well.

Give it a while and the format prices will crash, and no one will really care if the PS3 comes with BR or if the 360 has a HD-DVD addon.

My Blog

Vampire
    Thanks
    Microsoft gets royalties from the use of the VC-1 codec - whether that is in BD or HD-DVD use is irrelevant to them.

Yes, with HD-DVD they may make more profit. But if BD wins and they dont, then they are losing revenue which they could otherwise have.

MS might say that they are firmly in HD-DVD camp, but if it comes to the point where BD is clearly dominating, I am quite certain they will come up with something or the other.
    All Hail the AACS : 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Thanks
    Yeah, MS aren't stupid, if BR is a clear winner, I'm sure they'll make a combi drive or a BR drive if the demand is high enough.

Although, by the time a winner has been seen, I'm sure the prices will be low enough for the majority of people to buy proper players. That is if the majority of people have HDTVs by that time XD

My Blog

Thanks
    i cant imagine too many people buying the ps3 just for the blu-ray player, to alot of gamers its a nice add-on, we just wanna play decent blu-ray games that capacity wise will thrash xbox, then to go out and get a blu-ray movie is a nice bonus, its def not the reason why i got a ps3. for movie buffs they want to be looking at this...

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=28855

Vampire
    Thanks
    I actually bought the PS3 solely as a BD player - although I just started gaming on it (2 days back) as a side effect.

I also have the X360 for HD-DVD playback and was gaming on that for the last 6 months or so.

But then I dont game much. I tend to have one game, take a lot of time to finish that I play very little and then move on to another game.
    All Hail the AACS : 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gtech View Post
    i cant imagine too many people buying the ps3 just for the blu-ray player, to alot of gamers its a nice add-on, we just wanna play decent blu-ray games that capacity wise will thrash xbox, then to go out and get a blu-ray movie is a nice bonus, its def not the reason why i got a ps3. for movie buffs they want to be looking at this...

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=28855
    There really is nothing wrong with the capacity of a dual layer DVD, it's perfectly fine, apart from the odd massively boring, drawn out JRPG, which require a disk swap occasionally. Oh noes, that really worth the extra £200. For some games it's actually worse, Oblivion on the PS3 had to repeat a lot of data so they could keep the load times down so the laser didn't have to skip around the disk too much.

The majority of people who've been buying the PS3 have bought it as a BR player, for many people it was a way of getting one for around half price.

My Blog

Thanks
    well i cant believe you went out and brought a games console to use solely as a bd player, when samsung do much better players (maybe for a few bucks more but you get ya moneys worth) lets say...samsung BD-P1000 Blu-ray Disc Player which is now under £500, if you was into movies more than games this would of been the more likely choice at the mo, most of your ps3 capabilities are redundent, being wasted. sounds like you got the money to burn so i would of thought this was a better option

Thanks
    oblivion should of been left alone for just p.c and xbox, pc version is always going to be better, but you wait until they start bringing out blu-ray games that fill the disks (not by being uncompressed either), then the ps will be showing its true colours...go on then tell me about hd-dvd blu disks then? dual layer dvd is fine...for now, more people brought ps3 as a games console rather than a bd player.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    well i cant believe you went out and brought a games console to use solely as a bd player, when samsung do much better players (maybe for a few bucks more but you get ya moneys worth) lets say...samsung BD-P1000 Blu-ray Disc Player which is now under £500, if you was into movies more than games this would of been the more likely choice at the mo, most of your ps3 capabilities are redundent, being wasted. sounds like you got the money to burn so i would of thought this was a better option
    Problem is, ALL the players currently available will only do BluRay profile 1.0

The PS3 can be firmware update for 1.1

The PS3 is the best value BD player available.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    ok so the final standard profile doesnt come into play until nov 2007 when most players will be able to be upgraded (depending on hardware), the 1.0 players will still be able to run 1.1 films apart from a few special features, so really at the moment ps is as good as other players, i still believe other players are better at playing blu-rays than ps3, but you keep telling me how good ps is...i love it

Thanks
    oblivion should of been left alone for just p.c and xbox, pc version is always going to be better, but you wait until they start bringing out blu-ray games that fill the disks (not by being uncompressed either), then the ps will be showing its true colours...go on then tell me about hd-dvd blu disks then? dual layer dvd is fine...for now, more people brought ps3 as a games console rather than a bd player.
    TBH it's not gonna make any difference, aside from having to occasionally swap a disk, the only games out right now that fill more than one DVD are horribly long JRPGs. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that on purpose, since multiple disks is a selling point of these games, look it comes on three DVDs! It must be long and amazing! But no, Star Ocean was a pile of dog turd.

Just because the PS3 can fit more onto one disk really isn't gonna make it outshine the 360 at all, just because a game doesn't need it's disks to be swapped doesn't make it a better game. If you believe that BR will make PS3 games loads better, then you've been conned by the crap Sony have been spoon feeding you.

My Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information