Thread: *World Exclusive* unreleased AMD Puma based MSI notebook -v- Intel Penryn G35 - AMD P

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

HEXUS.tv - HEXUS.beans :: *World exclusive* unreleased AMD Puma-based MSI notebook vs

AMD's Puma notebook platform to be 3x quicker than Intel's current best?
    Read more.

2. Received thanks from:

baius (05-04-2008)

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

*World Exclusive* unreleased AMD Puma based MSI notebook -v- Intel Penryn G35 - AMD P

Ian McNaughton, AMD's Senior Product Manager for Product & Platform Marketing and Patrick Moorhead, AMD's VP for Advanced Marketing exclusively invited the HEXUS.tv film crew behind the scenes at CeBIT 2008, to shoot an AMD PUMA-powered MSI notebook taking on an equivalent Intel notebook head-2-head.

AMD claim that the software set-up was identical and that pricing on the AMD PUMA-powered unit is expected to be lower than for the Intel notebook.
    Watch the show.

cah
    Thanks

Re: HEXUS.tv - HEXUS.beans :: *World exclusive* unreleased AMD Puma-based MSI noteboo

Didn't the chap say 3400 discrete on the video? not 2400?

Thanks

Re: HEXUS.tv - HEXUS.beans :: *World exclusive* unreleased AMD Puma-based MSI noteboo

Quote Originally Posted by cah View Post
    ...3400 discrete...
    Yep - he says it is 3400 based...

...but we nudged the tpyo manager and had confirmation back that it supports DX10 - not DX10.1 - so 2400 is accurate

In all, it was one of the more amazing demonstrations I've seen over the past 30 years in this industry - got to the point where you weren't sure if the second one would ever stop

Be interesting to see what Intel launch next in this space
    Last edited by Andrzej; 11-03-2008 at 06:27 PM.

I kept 6 trusted serving men, they taught me all I knew.
    There names were what and where and why and how and when and who.

(I also had the HEXUS forums on speed dial just in case )

Thanks

Re: *World Exclusive* unreleased AMD Puma based MSI notebook -v- Intel Penryn G35 - A

now thats how to sell a product , positive news for amd for a change and no intel advert at the end great video

One Great Ordeal!
    Thanks

Re: *World Exclusive* unreleased AMD Puma based MSI notebook -v- Intel Penryn G35 - A

I really enjoyed the feature as well. Really unsure however about the claim it will play back a full length blue ray film from a fully charged battery... Be very interested to see that tested later on at some point!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by digit View Post
    ...fully charged battery...
    We saw BluRay playback quickly demonstrated just after this was shot - and the quality difference was impressive - but not easy to capture on camera

We'll test the battery claims soon enough

I kept 6 trusted serving men, they taught me all I knew.
    There names were what and where and why and how and when and who.

(I also had the HEXUS forums on speed dial just in case )

Thanks

Yea, i'd love to see how they ran this bluray that can last for the length of a battery...

is that with the screen dimmed as much as possible, with the speakers barely audible, and the actual blueray playing from a drive (not HDD cached), and at full screen ?

i trust someone at hexus will have great fun watching films to test

cah
    Thanks

Thanks for the comment on the 3400 - I thought i was going senile or something. PErhaps 10.1 will be added later with a chip refresh.

Probably they will set screen to 50% and use headphones...to mimmick what you would have on a plane. They will probably also use a 12cell battery, Meet the Spartans (60mins long) etc etc

I don't think they would run it from a HD since ripping blueray to HD is not something they would want to suggest people should do.

Either way, intel's solution with centrino 2 I think will be better than current IGP solutions, but from early indications not AS good as AMD's.
    Their CPUs might be better, but intel's solution apparently scores 11003dmarks 2006 versus approximately 1600 for the 780G. I don't believe in 3dmark, but it might give a clue as to relative performances. Current IGP from intel can't even finish 3dmark 06 i think.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Quantum-M's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MS-6367
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon XP 2000+
      • Memory:
      • DDR Dual Channel 512 MB (Unknown Maker)
      • Storage:
      • Maxtor 4R080J0 80 GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidida GeForce FX 5700LE OC'ed Core: 375 MHz Memory: 463 MHz
      • PSU:
      • Ultra 300 Watt
      • Case:
      • HP Pavilion Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP Pavilion mx75
      • Internet:
      • DCC Net Cable

Looks very promising judging by what I have seen on the show. A very attractive product for some casual gaming on the go, without having to find the plug ALL the time.

Thanks Hexus for the episode

Thanks

Smile Re: *World Exclusive* unreleased AMD Puma based MSI notebook -v- Intel Penryn G35 - A

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum-M View Post
    Looks very promising judging by what I have seen on the show. A very attractive product for some casual gaming on the go, without having to find the plug ALL the time.

Thanks Hexus for the episode
    Definitely have to add my thanks.

I've been ranting on about AMD Fusion recently, which promises 1/2 way decent graphics, but the subject of the video address sounds good, too.

15fps compared to 49fps - Hmmm... Depends on the games, the settings, etc, and I'll wait till Hexus/THG/etc gets to test the platform in person before I'm convinced. However, hopefully winning by a factor of 3 (plus) in ANY benchmark means AMD are doing something right.

I just want to get some gaming in at medium/high settings on a "mobile" computer.

I wonder what these laptops will cost, at launch?

Baius
    Tech: NAS | D2 | L1 | N1 | T2 | U1 | P3

0iD@TWDJT: P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
    S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

Thread Information