• Operating System:
      • Windows XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell 248 WFP
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet

Re: News - AMD exec says NVIDIA neglecting gamers

Quote Originally Posted by nightkhaos View Post
    No idea what ya mean there Muska. AMD was explaing that if the code was standards complaint it would work with AMD hardware, Eidos said the legal team had advised against unlocking code, AMD asked for more detail, Eidos gave it. Latest email first. Looks like Richard just gave HEXUS the email chain as it would appear, and HEXUS copied it ver-batim with some formating.
    you're right there, what i figured is that the email chain makes sense whichever way you read them

Thanks

Arrow Re: News - AMD exec says NVIDIA neglecting gamers

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    I wonder what will happen when Lucid enters the fray with their Hydra 200?? Will AMD and Nvidia try screw them over in some way??
    well i cant see why ATI would want to screw with them because its not like them and in the end it should let them sell more ATI cards.

I'm sure nvidia might try something dodgy though since they dont want gamers to use any other cards with there own, and also i think nvidia get some SLI licencing fee from motherboard makers which i'm sure they wont want to lose.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by tejas84 View Post
    Actually I WILL exercise my right to free speech and continue to comment (within Hexus guidelines of course!)
    Your right to freedom of speech is not the issue. It's what you wrote which is at issue. Per-vendor CPU optimisations?.. Come on, you don't seriously think programmers have nothing better to do than spend all day adding Intel and AMD assembly optimisations to their code, do you? You'll be very lucky to find any who will even bother adding hand assembled SIMD optimisations to their code, much less *that*.

Welcome to 1969, the compiler is born.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

To me it reads that nVidia wrote the code to enable/implement AA on Batman:AA (since AA isn't natively supported by the UE engine). In turn AMD wanted Eidos to alter that code to work for their cards also. They pointed out they couldn't do such without infringing nVidia's IP.

Thus, surely AMD should be offering to write their own version of the code to implement AA, rather than trying to 'borrow' the work already done by nVidia?

Prior to this explanation I'd assumed nVidia was in the wrong, and unfairly trying to keep the feature exclusive, but I'm now inclined to believe AMD is just trying to confuse matters to avoid the truth (mentioning an IP legal issue which simply wouldn't apply if they wrote their own code rather than piggyback someone else's).

[Obviously, I could be 'reading' this wrong but from the evidence shown it doesn't appear that way to me]

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by adam.mt View Post
    To me it reads that nVidia wrote the code to enable/implement AA on Batman:AA (since AA isn't natively supported by the UE engine). In turn AMD wanted Eidos to alter that code to work for their cards also. They pointed out they couldn't do such without infringing nVidia's IP.

Thus, surely AMD should be offering to write their own version of the code to implement AA, rather than trying to 'borrow' the work already done by nVidia?

Prior to this explanation I'd assumed nVidia was in the wrong, and unfairly trying to keep the feature exclusive, but I'm now inclined to believe AMD is just trying to confuse matters to avoid the truth (mentioning an IP legal issue which simply wouldn't apply if they wrote their own code rather than piggyback someone else's).

[Obviously, I could be 'reading' this wrong but from the evidence shown it doesn't appear that way to me]
    You don't think Eidos should have written their own manufacturer-neutral anti-aliasing code then?

I still say it VERY fishy they couldn't do it on their own....they could write the Batman AA game but could not write some anti-aliasing code without getting the video card manufacturers involved?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

It does seem that the game developers should be the ones taking the blame here. Why did they not write A-A into the game ? Why did they ask NV to do it ? Why did they allow it to be hardware locked ?

NV have acted in their own interests. I fail to see why they should be writing code for a competitor.

This is, completely seperate from the Physx lockout, which is clearly anti-competitive.
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Overclocking Since 1988 nightkhaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adam.mt View Post

As I said before we simply do not have enough information. Did AMD attempt to send some AntiA code to Eidos? Was this code rejected by Eidos? Did the AntiA code they send conflict with NVIDIAs AntiA code? Was the legal team using the IP as an excuse to let AMD down gently from the AntiA exclusivty clause that NVIDIA made with Eidos (if such a clause exists somewhere)?

We do not have enough information to place blame.
    Desktop (Cy): Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.6GHz, Prolimatech Megahalems, Gigabyte X58-UD5, Patriot Viper DDR3 6GiB @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-20 2T, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 295 Co-Op, Asus Xonar D2X, Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 0, 4x Samsung EcoDrive 1.5TB F2s in RAID 5, Corsair HX 750W PSU, Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos Sport (Custom), 4x Noctua P12s, 6x Noctua S12Bs, Sony Optiarc DVD+/-RW, Windows 7 Professional Edition, Dell 2408WFP, Mirai 22" HDTV

MacBook Pro (Voyager): Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.6GHz, 4GiB DDR2 RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD, NVIDIA 8600GTM 512MB, SuperDrive, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, 15.4" Matte Display

HTPC (Delta-Flyer): Intel Core 2 Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Zotec GeForce 9300-ITX, 2GiB of DDR2 Corsair XMS2 RAM, KWorld PE355-2T, Samsung EcoDrive F2 1.5TB, In-Win BP655, Noctua NF-R8, LiteOn BluRay ROM Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium, 42" Sony 1080p Television

i7 (Bloomfield) Overclocking Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    I am not our father.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    It does seem that the game developers should be the ones taking the blame here. Why did they not write A-A into the game ? Why did they ask NV to do it ? Why did they allow it to be hardware locked ?
    I agree that it should be Eidos who takes the flack for it, they agreed to the license terms nVidia provided. But they were nVidia's terms, after all. It was either that, or no AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    NV have acted in their own interests. I fail to see why they should be writing code for a competitor.

This is, completely seperate from the Physx lockout, which is clearly anti-competitive.
    Because AA is a DirectX feature, and therefore will run on any DirectX compatible card. It's not as if the AA code bypasses DirectX and talks directly to nVidia's kernel driver, is it?

Personally I never use AA, so I wouldn't miss it even if I bought Batman: AA. It's the principle of the thing, more than anything else.
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    You don't think Eidos should have written their own manufacturer-neutral anti-aliasing code then?
    Here's how it's done.
    a) Epic Games write the unreal engine
    b) They license it to the developer.
    c) Developer makes the game. In the meantime, Epic keeps developing the engine, adding features, bugfixes, etc. The whole point of licensing engines is to cut the development time and bring games faster to market than developing a 3D engine of your own.

Could the developer have rewritten the portion of the engine that handles AA, something that Epic hasn't done yet? Sure. Would that add month(s) to Batman's development time (aka making the game late, with the financial implications you all imagine)? Sure reloaded. Would nVIDIA's offer to write a "patch" to enable AA in their cards sound lovely to the developer's ears? Sure - revolutions

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

But this is the internet, so we're all going to try anyway

11. Received thanks from:

Phage (04-11-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kombatant View Post
    Here's how it's done.
    a) Epic Games write the unreal engine
    b) They license it to the developer.
    c) Developer makes the game. In the meantime, Epic keeps developing the engine, adding features, bugfixes, etc. The whole point of licensing engines is to cut the development time and bring games faster to market than developing a 3D engine of your own.

Could the developer have rewritten the portion of the engine that handles AA, something that Epic hasn't done yet? Sure. Would that add month(s) to Batman's development time (aka making the game late, with the financial implications you all imagine)? Sure reloaded. Would nVIDIA's offer to write a "patch" to enable AA in their cards sound lovely to the developer's ears? Sure - revolutions
    That's the thing, any code written is 85% likely to work on non-NVIDIA hardware as it would use the DirectX libaries and functions to achieve the AntiA. If NVIDIA used a non-standards part of their technology, which they wouldn't need to be the easiest way to achieve AA is through Direct X, then yes, they would have due cause to lock other vendors out.

This is coming down to the little pickle we get now-adays with non-physical media, what can, and can't be, interllectual property? I see this quite often, patents over things that are well established and truely ancient features, in computer terms, like thumbnails.

How is code, a generic representation of a set of instructions presented in a human readable format, allowed to be copyrighted? The same code, within differecent context, executed in a different enviroment, can achieve completely different results. You can't copyright lines of code. If, for some reason, the AntiA code NVIDIA was using used some new, unique method, of achieving AntiA, then yes, they have a right to protect that IP.

But programmers are lazy, they will take the path of least resistance most of the time, so it won't use anything new and exciting to achieve AntiA. Further more, this code was sold to, including the rights to said code to Eidos. I have seen no contract that states that NVIDIA retains the IP rights over the AntiA code they wrote!

I'm grasping at straws here, the concept of "free-information" is a new one to everybody anyway. The world isn't going to chance over night to embrace this concept either. Our ecomony is based upon the notion of limited resources, and placing value on a resource. People are not ready for a world where a piece of information can be replicated millions and millions of time at no cost, and the sad thing is we are getting closer and closer to the point where this becomes a reality. The cost of replicating information is already tiny.
    Desktop (Cy): Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.6GHz, Prolimatech Megahalems, Gigabyte X58-UD5, Patriot Viper DDR3 6GiB @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-20 2T, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 295 Co-Op, Asus Xonar D2X, Hauppauge WinTV Nova TD-500, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 0, 4x Samsung EcoDrive 1.5TB F2s in RAID 5, Corsair HX 750W PSU, Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos Sport (Custom), 4x Noctua P12s, 6x Noctua S12Bs, Sony Optiarc DVD+/-RW, Windows 7 Professional Edition, Dell 2408WFP, Mirai 22" HDTV

MacBook Pro (Voyager): Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.6GHz, 4GiB DDR2 RAM, 200GB 7200RPM HDD, NVIDIA 8600GTM 512MB, SuperDrive, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, 15.4" Matte Display

HTPC (Delta-Flyer): Intel Core 2 Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Zotec GeForce 9300-ITX, 2GiB of DDR2 Corsair XMS2 RAM, KWorld PE355-2T, Samsung EcoDrive F2 1.5TB, In-Win BP655, Noctua NF-R8, LiteOn BluRay ROM Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium, 42" Sony 1080p Television

I am not our father.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

But programmers are lazy, they will take the path of least resistance most of the time, so it won't use anything new and exciting to achieve AntiA.
    I only hope you are jesting with that comment. Laziness has nothing to do with it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I only hope you are jesting with that comment. Laziness has nothing to do with it.
    Laziness has everything to do with it. I don't mean they're lazy as in they will copy and paste code, I mean they are lazy as in they won't reievent the wheel unless they have to.

I am not our father.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Laziness has everything to do with it. I don't mean they're lazy as in they will copy and paste code, I mean they are lazy as in they won't reievent the wheel unless they have to.
    Aye, that's intentional. New code == buggy code. Debugging code is the single most time consuming job for a programmer. So if you have 'old' code that's known to work (read: tested, and already debugged), it's best to use it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kombatant View Post
    That's the thing I reckon. Sure, ideally Epic (Unreal Engine) should have wrote the AA code and made it available to all licensees, but as they haven't (yet) and it's probably uneconomical for Eidos/Rocksteady Studios to, it's meant it's down to the GPU makers.

As it appears from the evidence so far (as I read it) nVidia have offered code to do this (hence it's been used*) and AMD haven't - they said to adapt the nVidia code which legally is shaky ground. To me, surely AMD should be offering their own code?

(* - if nVidia's Anti-aliasing (AA) code artificially locks AA use to only their own cards, and it's not a technical issue, then it's not nice of them but financially, and business wise, it's understandable and justifiable. It may not be nice, but have AMD cause to complain? Haven't they just avoided doing some expensive and time consuming work themselves and instead made a song and dance about nVidia having bothered to?)

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post

I still say it VERY fishy they couldn't do it on their own....they could write the Batman AA game but could not write some anti-aliasing code without getting the video card manufacturers involved?
    Would be good, but likely uneconomical. But similar has happened before so not completely discountable (developer extensions to Unreal or Quake/Doom engines). (The PC market seems to be a lot less profitable now though to warrant such expense).

True, it's just guess work and speculation (and we need to bare this in mind).

Registered+
    Thanks
    • caveman-jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • XFX X58i
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 920 @4.0
      • Memory:
      • 3x2GB DDR3 G.Skill Rip-Jaws 1333 7-7-7-21
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25-E + Seagate 7200.11 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD ATI Radeon HD 5870 2GB Eyefinity6
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 850
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF 932
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Six Dell P2210H
      • Internet:
      • 17d/3u

IMO we need disclosure on a couple of points
    - When did AMD get the chance to offer an AA solution
    - When was it turned down, in relation to nVidia's being adopted

Additionally a statement on if AMD is willing to validate the game as-is and state it performs acceptably in their hardware (with the provisio any further updates are ratified by them also).

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information