Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 291011121314 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: How do you feel after the EU referendum?

Thanks

Re: QOTW: How do you feel after the EU referendum?

Easy to dismiss if your intent in putting your head in the sand.

The fact that Breitbart is American source and is not swayed by the media in the UK is a breath of fresh air, and more importantly are reporting the torrent of abuse being directed to Leave voters, Farage and his family, which is being conveniently ignored by the UK media.... hmmmm. Open your eyes!

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

You keep on believing the media you prefer, makes no odds to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by realstock View Post
    Hmmm, looks like the media is massaging the truth with regards to increase in reported racism since the brexit, also the raise in figures includes people complaining about Farage!
    You do know that the NPCC announcement that breitbart based that story on was published 3 days after the referendum right? And that police forces report crime statistics on a monthly basis (afaik), right? Having said that a recent blog post from the NPCC has this to say...
    The national community tensions team has also analysed reports from forces which today shows an increase in community tension directed at the migrant community since the referendum. In a number of forces, migrants are reporting verbal abuse, negative social media commentary including xenophobic language, anti-migrant leafleting and, in very limited numbers, physical assaults. All of these incidents are under active investigation.

We want to make sure we have the full picture of tensions and hate crime so we are best equipped to tackle it and prevent it. NPCC Lead for Hate Crime, ACC Mark Hamilton has now asked all forces to provide weekly hate crime returns, which will be collated centrally.
    So it looks like we wont have to wait until the end of the month for updated figures.

3. Received thanks from:

Phage (08-07-2016)

Thanks

Yep fully aware of the dates involved.

Just to add to that the NPCC article stated the following "This should not be read as a national increase in hate crime of 57% but an increase in reporting through one mechanism."

Which basically means that someone can record a hate crime on their computer from home, so you can go to the right website, record a crime in your county and fill in an form about the alleged crime.

Just because it is reported, doesn't mean it actually happened, or that it is correctly classified as a hate crime.

When they actually follow up on the reports and find out the actual truth behind them, it will be interesting to see the statistics then.

Thanks

Well that's long way from your initial claim that it "Looks like we are being sold a pup by the media"
    I mean sure the media covered it as a rise in racism but if people depend on them to present facts in an unbiased manner then maybe that explains why we find ourselves in this current mess.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Breitbart is a pretty (very) conservative news source, which is echoing the reporting we got from our right-wing media (most of it), how were we 'sold a pup'? We were more sold a pup by the Daily Mail, the Sun etc who told us before the vote that everything would be fine, then afterwards 'Oh, hang on, we didn't actually tell you THIS might happen, or that'...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • wayn3h's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Z270F
      • CPU:
      • i7 7700K @ 4.5
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 2TB SSD RAID0, 250GB SSD, 2TB Mechanical
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000
      • Case:
      • Corsair Inverse 600C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS ROG SWIFT PG27AQ
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 300/30

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sykobee View Post
    Yeah, England and Wales.

Cornwall (voted leave): We will still get our massive EU funding, right?
    Yorkshire (voted leave): We will still get our massive EU funding, right?
    Wales (voted leave): We will still get our massive EU funding, right?

Nope.

The only good thing is that it's shaking up the political establishment, dislodged Hameron, killed off Boris, and so on. Problem is the Tory candidates are all terrible horrible people.

Totally agree with you.
    What a stupid, stupid thing to say. I'm from Cornwall. I voted out and I don't care if we lose our funding tomorrow. Things our council asks for on our behalf =/= what the citizens are asking for.

Thanks

So much for taking back control then, it seems we're having problems just controlling what our local councils request funding for.

9. Received thanks from:

Phage (08-07-2016)

Thanks

it is going to be the best thing for the UK in the long run, but the best news in my mind was David Cameron resigning.
    Tom G

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

Hmmm, looks like the media is massaging the truth with regards to increase in reported racism since the brexit, also the raise in figures includes people complaining about Farage!

Looks like we are being sold a pup by the media... who saw that one coming!? lol

Lies, lies, lies, by both sides. I just wish we didn't have to wade through tides of bull crap to uncover some element of the truth.

Edit: Seems familiar this, remainers didn't get their way and are intent on a smear campaign of all Leave voters, labeling them racist, stupid, old, xenophobic.
    I rather like puppies and would love one from the media, to be honest, as they're usually quite evil (the media) and this way I get to raise it in a loving home.

Thanks

Looks like we are being sold a pup by the media... who saw that one coming!? lol
    Who would've though that the media and politicians would be in bed with each other, I'm more concerned that we've been sold a pup when it comes to Farage.

Who would've thought that the public would be tricked into buying something that isn't worth anything.

Thanks

Agreed, media will always want to mislead the public for their own ends, we can all agree on that at least. There must be more unbiased media out there that report on the news for just the sake of journalism.

Trade deals are already knocking at the door, this one in particular seems interesting. Chinese already knocking at the door, partly due to frustrations of red tape of the EU, funny that . New Zealand, Australia and many other country's in Asia.

Thanks

It's not a matter of how many counties are lining up to make trade deals, it's what those deals eventually contain, based on how the Conservatives blocked the introduction of higher tariffs on Chinese Steel I'm not holding out much hope.

15. Received thanks from:

FatalSaviour (15-07-2016),Phage (08-07-2016)

Thanks

Whoever ends up in downing street needs to fulfil the promises from the leave campaign delivering investment in the national health service, cuts to immigration and show they have the metal to deliver solid trade deals without suffering the EU's red tape or freedom of movement policy. I would also like to know how the UK will secure it's borders

I'm not thrilled with the idea of 150,000 conservative party members picking the government or the idea that party electorate think it's good for us to have an investment banker from Guernsey running the country. Both the conservative party leader candidates are unelectable IMO, and having 150,000 party members making the decision of who leads the country over next 4 years and puts in place ground work that shapes the UK's future over the next 50 years is shameful.

I don't I think we should rule out another vote on leaving the EU before we know what direction the conservative party plans to take us. IMO a decision of this magnitude must first need a second vote on leaving the EU and then a generally election for the government to see that decision through.
    Last edited by jigger; 08-07-2016 at 03:13 PM.

17. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (10-07-2016),Phage (08-07-2016)

Thanks

Agreed but the point I was highlighting is that trade will still continue and potentially flourish with rest of the world regardless of EU threatening to play hardball. Which will cause them just as much hurt as it would potentially cause us. More importantly, the UK will be in control of negotiations without the irritation of 27 other members all wanting to ensure their interests are not diluted.

Thanks

I'm not sure anyone ever said trade won't continue, it's not like people are going to stop buying and selling things, although to say it will potentially flourish is probably overstating the facts a little, if we fell back on WTO rules it's estimated it would cost us £11bn per year in tariffs, throw in the fact that we don't have any experienced negotiators, a tiny available market when compared to others, and a government that believes in a liberal market economy, i can't see any prospective trade deals being to our advantage.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I'm not sure anyone ever said trade won't continue, it's not like people are going to stop buying and selling things, although to say it will potentially flourish is probably overstating the facts a little, if we fell back on WTO rules it's estimated it would cost us £11bn per year in tariffs, throw in the fact that we don't have any experienced negotiators, a tiny available market when compared to others, and a government that believes in a liberal market economy, i can't see any prospective trade deals being to our advantage.
    Which is why the statements that we'll be better off in the future - are not only unlikely to be true, but resemble wishful thinking without any factual basis. (otherwise known as "Tosh")
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 291011121314 LastLast

Thread Information