Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: How impressed are you with the Apple iPhone X?

Thanks

Re: QOTW: How impressed are you with the Apple iPhone X?

Quote Originally Posted by sandman9 View Post
    Not innovative, face id actually failed in their presentation. Touch id is extremely useful, quick and ease of use. To have only face ID is a step back. So no iphone X is too expensive for what it provides. I only see sheep buying it and not people who actually want an easy phone to use.
    What a difference a comma makes...

"So no iphone X is too expensive for what it provides." - price is justified

"So no, iphone X is too expensive for what it provides." - price not justified

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Didn't stop global adoption of USB when it failed live on stage during a Microsoft demo.
    Difference is Microsoft has been doing this technology for years without it cocking up.

My Lumia 950 had an infra red 3d scanner built in.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

I'm not in the Apple ecosystem (other than my company phone), so I was never going to be getting one anyway.

It's a decent enough looking phone and I'm sure it'll be nice to use, but I wouldn't like to be one of the "must keep up" fanboys now looking at either incrementing up to the 8 (but not having the latest or greatest), or spending money they can't really afford to get the X.

I would like some hands-on time with one to see how strong that facial ID tech is, though. I was put off biometric security with the slow fingerprint sensor on the iPhone 6, but the instant unlock on the OnePlus 5 sensor is fantastic - can't see anything beating fingerprints in the short-mid term.

Thanks

I saw the headline and couldn't wait to read all the hate mail. Have to admit that you all didn't let me down, it would have only been better if Hexus had asked for opinion on an Intel CPU line-up.

But it raises a few serious questions about the Hexus audience, because we know that this Phone will be sold out for months and loved (with a passion) by those that purchase it. So...

• Is the average Hexus reader woefully out of touch ?
    • Does the average Hexus reader come from the wrong demographic for Apple products ?
    • Do the Apple readers here just think "no need to reply" ?

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy14 View Post
    Is the average Hexus reader woefully out of touch ?
    Curious to understand how a phone that will be "loved (with a passion)" by what, 10% at most of the UK, means we're woefully out of touch....
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Curious to understand how a phone that will be "loved (with a passion)" by what, 10% at most of the UK, means we're woefully out of touch....
    A device does not have to be owned by a high % of the population to make it a good / bad product. Apple themselves will not be making enough for a high saturation to be even possible. If a person new to phones read this thread they would get the overwhelming impression that this was a terrible product. I doubt that's true.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

I don't see anything to be impressed with. Nothing new or innovative, just giving you stuff that's been available on other phones for years.

At £600 it would be a good competitor to the S8 or similar.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw the headline and couldn't wait to read all the hate mail. Have to admit that you all didn't let me down, it would have only been better if Hexus had asked for opinion on an Intel CPU line-up.

But it raises a few serious questions about the Hexus audience, because we know that this Phone will be sold out for months and loved (with a passion) by those that purchase it. So...

• Is the average Hexus reader woefully out of touch ?
    • Does the average Hexus reader come from the wrong demographic for Apple products ?
    • Do the Apple readers here just think "no need to reply" ?
    The 'hate' mail really says more about the poster than the product. There are some reasoned explanations why some users prefer brand x over brand y, and that might reasonably include price and budget.

But the comments about 'sheeple' and the like that imply that Apple users aren't capable of making a decision for themselves, or the ones that claim that Apple users only buy the products as status sysmbols are ludicrous, condecscending and patronising. The same could be said of people who buy Android phones because its Android, or those that buy a high end phone of any manufacturer - and it would be no more valid than the claims about Apple users.

But some people will jump on any convenient bandwagon that happens to be passing...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    But some people will jump on any convenient bandwagon that happens to be passing...
    Indeed, it's just a shame that there's so few unbiased opinions, or even that those who will buy the product and therefore must love it, don't reply. Even those that sound less biased really don't explore the positives of the 10, read these 4 pages of comments and you'd be forgiven for thinking there aren't any.

As I asked, is this because Apple buyers don't frequent Hexus or they simply don't feel the need to reply / get caught up up in the hate ? I suspect it's the later, but it's intriguing.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250GB / 1 x 1TB / 1 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 40Mbps SKY Fibre

Define "average"?

While I may not be enamoured with the iPhone X, it doesn't mean I don't like or use Apple products. For example I fully intend to buy the Apple TV 4K, and I'm very happy with my iPad and my older 5S. I'm just not feeling compelled enough to upgrade to the iPhone X over any of the competition.

If you define the Apple demographic as someone who has to have the latest product from Apple, regardless of what it actually is, then I guess I'm not part of that demographic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    If you define the Apple demographic as someone who has to have the latest product from Apple, regardless of what it actually is, then I guess I'm not part of that demographic.
    Demographic sounded a lot like Fanboy there.

Perhaps the target audience for this phone (to be supplied in limited numbers according to the press) is simply very small and such buyers instead frequent websites more specific to their purchasing habits (Hermes, Rolex, Porsche... Just kidding). Or they don't take any notice of opinions on the web at all, as they already know what they want.

I'm probably not communicating my curiosity properly, but I'm just a bit fed up with "Apple News" only being commented on by Android users and "Intel News" only being commented on by AMD Fanboys. It would be cool to see some opinions from both sides being discussed.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

QOTW: How impressed are you with the Apple iPhone X?

Answer = Not at all.

The only welcome news in that product is that addition of Qi Charging which means that more manufacturers in the Android world are now likely to include it besides LG & Samsung.

I really don't see anything new in the iPhone 10 & 8, merely bringing iPhone upto the level Android has been at for the past few years.

Thanks

I'm probably not communicating my curiosity properly, but I'm just a bit fed up with "Apple News" only being commented on by Android users and "Intel News" only being commented on by AMD Fanboys. It would be cool to see some opinions from both sides being discussed.
    To be fair, there are quite a few Apple users commenting on this thread as well, and they are all saying the same thing. Too expensive and no wow factor. Me, I definitely prefer Android, but I've bought into the ecosystem. My wife has an iPhone 6, or is it 6S, and wouldn't dream of going to Android, because she's bought into the ecosystem. Even she has said that the X is 'weird' and 'too expensive'. I don't know what she'll do when her phone dies. Probably the 8, but she won't go for the X.

Thanks

I am sure the Apple owning Hexus audience is here reading, but probably bored of the passionate Apple haters that take the time to post the usual comments.

No company seems to bring the haters out quite like Apple, so I tend to not stoke the fire... Or on some days when i am feel like it, i do stoke the fire, just to see the response

Am i impressed with the X, not really, cost too much, i refuse to spend more than £300 on a mobile. I personally do not like the cut out of the screen where the camera etc are located. Another concern is how they tackle watching video when landscape with that cut out. I might consider the iPhone 8, or maybe even the X in two generations time when the iPhone XII comes out for around about £2000

Gone are the days when I desired the latest phone for the sake of it. iPhone 6 still more than adequate for my needs.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Am I impressed? No. But I come from a somewhat different angle to most.

Three reasons I'm not impressed :-

1) No way would I pay anything like £1000 for a phone, no matter who made it.

2) No way would I buy any phone using facial rec. The first thing I do on any tablet I have is physically tape over the camera facing me. The second is to tape over the other camera.

3) I don't actually have, or personally see a need for any smartphone, let alone a premium phone. If that ever changes, it won't be at anything like that price.

Make that 4 reasons ....

4) On occasions when I've used someone elses iPhone, I've never much liked them.

I just don't understand why on earth anyone would spend that much on a phone. But then, I'm sure many people would say the same about things I might choose to spend large sums of money on. Each to their own.

So I guess the only thing that really matters if whether the people that buy them think they're worth the money and whether, after owning one for a while, they are still impressed.

Thanks

I do wonder how you actually live your life sometimes Saracen with the amount of cameras around you can't control but hey.
    Going back a few comments and trying to rely on my early morning pre coffee hazy brain might not be the best but I shall have a stab. Asking about an iphone X on ere will always be an interesting question because most people on this forum are into their hardware etc. so a premium halo product will always be regarded as overpriced. I'm not an Apple fan, not really an Android fan, but Android suits me more at the moment.

I believe that most people I have spoken to are dismissive because most of the must have features have already been seen. Apple were supposed to be pulling out all the stops and the price means it should be really groundbreaking when to be honest most people think it's a bit meh
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information