Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: QOTW: How impressed are you with the Apple iPhone X?

Thanks

Re: QOTW: How impressed are you with the Apple iPhone X?

I guess anecdotal evidence is kinda hard to quantify....
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy14 View Post

• Is the average Hexus reader woefully out of touch ?
    • Does the average Hexus reader come from the wrong demographic for Apple products ?
    • Do the Apple readers here just think "no need to reply" ?
    "Is the average Hexus reader woefully out of touch ?"
    No users of Hexus and similar sites are mostly tech savvy and don't listen to apples gumpf.

"Does the average Hexus reader come from the wrong demographic for Apple products ?"
    Probably, why do you think Apple do well at xmas, it's parents buying them for children. Why do you think Apple adverts always feature things like skateboarding and dancers?, they are targeting a younger audience. Quite simply Apples demographic seems to be millenials.

"Do the Apple readers here just think "no need to reply" ?"
    Plenty of Apple users here have replied, they just don't seem all that impressed.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

• Is the average Hexus reader woefully out of touch ?
    • Does the average Hexus reader come from the wrong demographic for Apple products ?
    • Do the Apple readers here just think "no need to reply" ?
    Out of touch with who?

Out of touch with tech-savvy users? Doubtful, because most of our users are either IT pro's, or enthusiasts. Out of touch with schoolkids? Maybe.

From the wrong demographic? What's the 'right' demographic - savvy buyers, or those more interested in fashion icons than functionality? If the latter, then maybe.

If you're influenced to ask those questions by my posts, then just be aware I'm certainly not the average user here, in several respects. One is that I no longer get excited by tech for tech sake. On that, I'm burnt out. Now, it's purely what it'll do for me. BUT .... I don't make the mistake of thinking that because a oroduct doesn't suit my needs it's no use to,@ or has appeal for, others.

I'm also probably older than most Hexus users so don't have the same interests as 'kids'. i'm probably also one of a very few here to have been invited to Apple HQ, to have toured the building, met many of the executives (Steve Jobs) and been inside the code-locked doors where new developed and unreleased products are kept. Possibly, the only one for that last bit.

Finally, after 25+ years of professional journalism and thousands of reviews, I'm very experienced at assessing products and step 1 is ALWAYS to do it from the perspective of the target buyer, and to know who it is, and is not, aimed at, and critically, how that differs from my needs.

Comments in this thread, however, are very much a personal evaluation of why it doesn't appeal to me, not an objective review of suitability to target demographics. I'd certainly consider writing that objective assessment too .... at my standard word rates.

Registered+
    Thanks

It's a metaphorical hold up as you well know, pedantic point scoring means nothing.

Thanks

Comparing first weekend adoption of the iPhone 8 models to previous models shows a notable difference. Last year the iPhone 7 model garnered 1% adoption during the first weekend of sales, which was lower than 2015’s iPhone 6 launch, which got 2% in its first weekend

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by postpeter View Post
    Comparing first weekend adoption of the iPhone 8 models to previous models shows a notable difference. Last year the iPhone 7 model garnered 1% adoption during the first weekend of sales, which was lower than 2015’s iPhone 6 launch, which got 2% in its first weekend
    The 8 is in a strange position. It has it's plus points, nice iterative Apple style updates, however it's still the same design as the 6 and for the first time it's not the top of the tree anymore. Many people will be holding tight to those wallets for a few weeks more and the launch of the X.

Then we get the usual X instantly sells out stories. There are articles published recently suggesting that X production isn't started yet and there are further supply restrictions too, so launch could be a farce.

Thanks

The 8 is in a strange position. It has it's plus points, nice iterative Apple style updates, however it's still the same design as the 6 and for the first time it's not the top of the tree anymore. Many people will be holding tight to those wallets for a few weeks more and the launch of the X.
    yes, looks like Apple is losing their grip

Then we get the usual X instantly sells out stories. There are articles published recently suggesting that X production isn't started yet and there are further supply restrictions too, so launch could be a farce.
    wow that's not very cool. reviews are kinda dubious, and with such a fail to boot it will go very bad

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

The Apple watch looks the most interesting device so far. It has its own SOM card so it is independent of a phone. Two downsides, it is expensive, and only EE offer the facility to have two devices on one account, so I guess if you are with any other carrier, you need two accounts.

I guess other carriers will eventually have multiple devices per account.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The Apple watch looks the most interesting device so far. It has its own SOM card so it is independent of a phone. Two downsides, it is expensive, and only EE offer the facility to have two devices on one account, so I guess if you are with any other carrier, you need two accounts.

I guess other carriers will eventually have multiple devices per account.
    It isn't really independent though. It essentially still tethered to your phone (you must still have an iPhone, it won't make calls independently.) it's just tethered over GSM rather than Bluetooth.

10. Received thanks from:

peterb (26-09-2017)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    It isn't really independent though. It essentially still tethered to your phone (you must still have an iPhone, it won't make calls independently.) it's just tethered over GSM rather than Bluetooth.
    True - but you don't have to have the phone with you - the tethering is over a much greater range.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread Information